CatBanter

-   -   Cat licking patio (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19489)

The Mermaid September 9th 04 04:44 PM

Cat licking patio

My cat (14) has started licking the patio - anyone know why he does this?

Salt content? It seems very strange.

Also, he just licks at his food and doesn't seem as interested as
he used to be - have tried several types of food now.

Do they do patio flavoured food???!!! ;o)

Judy September 10th 04 08:08 AM

I have to agree with you Karen!

5 years ago my (now previous) cat took up patio stone licking and as well
showed disinterest in food.

The results of her checkup and full blood panel showed that, not only was
she anemic, she was hyperthyroid as well.

The Mermaid September 11th 04 07:49 AM

Thanks for all your advice - hubby had asked vet a few days ago
about licking patio and he just said it was to do with salt content
and sometimes they eat gravel too but it's ok...

However, when my cat stopped eating aswell we took him to the vet
for blood tests. Funninly enough everyone thinks my cat is a
Himalayan (He's just a farm cat but we reckon his long-haired tabby
mother either mated with a siamese or himalayan - sorry I digress!)
and the blood tests revealed that he is anemic - have to take him
back today for injections - antibiotics and steroids.

Apparently the reading was supposed to be 5 but his was 21!

Thanks for all the advice everyone - give your pussies a BIG HUG!

In article ers.com,
says...

Karen Chuplis September 11th 04 03:48 PM

in article , The Mermaid at
wrote on 9/11/04 1:49AM:

Thanks for all your advice - hubby had asked vet a few days ago
about licking patio and he just said it was to do with salt content
and sometimes they eat gravel too but it's ok...

However, when my cat stopped eating aswell we took him to the vet
for blood tests. Funninly enough everyone thinks my cat is a
Himalayan (He's just a farm cat but we reckon his long-haired tabby
mother either mated with a siamese or himalayan - sorry I digress!)
and the blood tests revealed that he is anemic - have to take him
back today for injections - antibiotics and steroids.

Apparently the reading was supposed to be 5 but his was 21!

Thanks for all the advice everyone - give your pussies a BIG HUG!

Whoa. Maybe your vet will remember now if someone asks again. I've heard it
time and again on these boards the last couple of years that peoples cats
began to lick cement or eat gravel when anemic. I think it's common. Hope
kitty gets better.