CatBanter

-   -   My cat's paw. (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=85846)

honeybunch January 21st 08 05:39 PM

My cat's paw.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=forefoot.jpg

I'm just wondering if my cat is average. On his front paw he has 5
toes and a lump. What is the function of these things especially that
lump. He also has a few whiskers next to the lump. Is this a
polydactl or a dew claw? On the rear feet he just has 4 toes.

blkcatgal January 21st 08 06:15 PM

My cat's paw.

I think your cat's paw is totally normal. I'm not sure what that "lump" is
but every one of my cats has the same thing.

One of my cats is a polydactyl. His extra toes actually look like a thumb.
Check out this photo of him and his big feet.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...l/000_0310.jpg

See more photos on my blog at www.island-cats.com.

Sue
---

T January 21st 08 07:54 PM

My cat's paw.

In article 84c77f1e-a847-4bdf-928c-
, says...
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=forefoot.jpg

I'm just wondering if my cat is average. On his front paw he has 5
toes and a lump. What is the function of these things especially that
lump. He also has a few whiskers next to the lump. Is this a
polydactl or a dew claw? On the rear feet he just has 4 toes.

That's a common feature on all the cats that have ever owned me. True
polydactyls have an actual extra toe.

T January 21st 08 08:00 PM

My cat's paw.

In article ,
says...
I think your cat's paw is totally normal. I'm not sure what that "lump" is
but every one of my cats has the same thing.

One of my cats is a polydactyl. His extra toes actually look like a thumb.
Check out this photo of him and his big feet.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...l/000_0310.jpg

See more photos on my blog at www.island-cats.com.

Sue

Very handsome cat!

I've read that polydactylism is prevalent in the northeastern U.S.
because that's where the mutation originated. Many Maine Coons tend to
be polydactyl.

That's how Cosimo came into our life. We were at the East Providence
animal shelter and the SO saw this gorgeous little Siamese mix but that
cat was already claimed. Next thing you know this huge grey paw comes
jutting out of the cage towards me. He was seven months old and a huge
cat, not heavy but long and tall.

He porked out big time which ultimately lead to his demise. But he was a
sweet cat, it's just that when you're laying on the couch and thirty
pounds of cat wants to nuzzle, it can be a little hard to breathe.

And he was a mouser. You've never seen a cat pounce until you've seen a
big guy like Cosimo pounce. I think the mouse died more of fright than
anything else.