CatBanter

-   -   Cat making a Chewing Like Movement all the time (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=15680)

Rex January 17th 04 05:59 AM

Cat making a Chewing Like Movement all the time

Hello,

After spending almost a grand, there seems to be not one Vet in Canada that
would diagnose this problem with our cat.

He moves his head from left to right frequently with a chewing motion. I
know it is hard to explain but I'll try ...

Imagine a human vigourously chewing gum and at the same time nodding his
head.

We thought initially it was hairball but that is not the case. It has been
going for a month now and his eating has almost stopped even though he takes
a few jabs of his food here and there and generally seems to be in a poor
health.

Had anyone had or heard of this problem with cats.

Thanks in advance.

Karen Chuplis January 17th 04 12:27 PM

in article vb4Ob.139569$ts4.3847@pd7tw3no, Rex at wrote
on 1/16/04 11:59 PM:

Hello,

After spending almost a grand, there seems to be not one Vet in Canada that
would diagnose this problem with our cat.

He moves his head from left to right frequently with a chewing motion. I
know it is hard to explain but I'll try ...

Imagine a human vigourously chewing gum and at the same time nodding his
head.

We thought initially it was hairball but that is not the case. It has been
going for a month now and his eating has almost stopped even though he takes
a few jabs of his food here and there and generally seems to be in a poor
health.

Had anyone had or heard of this problem with cats.

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone checked his ears? I'm thinking maybe an ear infection?

PawsForThought January 17th 04 06:28 PM

From: "Rex"

After spending almost a grand, there seems to be not one Vet in Canada that
would diagnose this problem with our cat.

Have you tried a veterinarian dentist?
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

Mary January 17th 04 06:37 PM

Imagine a human vigourously chewing gum and at the same time nodding his
head.

We thought initially it was hairball but that is not the case. It has been
going for a month now and his eating has almost stopped even though he takes
a few jabs of his food here and there and generally seems to be in a poor
health.

Had anyone had or heard of this problem with cats.

Thanks in advance.

As the others said, it could be an inner ear issue or dental problem. I do
squirrel rescue and I sometimes get in squirrels with head injuries. They nod
their head, sometimes chew. Generally it goes away in a couple of weeks if it
was not a major head injury. I had one who did it forever. He couldn't eat
normally. I had to feed him with a syringe. Hopefully it's just a dental issue.