CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   KITTY LITTER DUST (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=85333)

Dennis December 31st 07 07:23 PM

KITTY LITTER DUST

Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always something
you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that has settled
over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate
this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it, I ALREADY OWN A
FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)

--
Dennis

Diana December 31st 07 08:04 PM

KITTY LITTER DUST

In article ,
"Dennis" wrote:

Just became a cat owner a few months ago and thought I had done all my
homework on the pros and cons of owning a cat, but there's always something
you miss. In my case, it's the dust from the kitty litter that has settled
over everything in my home. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate
this most annoying problem. And before you even think of it, I ALREADY OWN A
FEATHER DUSTER AND VACUUM CLEANER ;)

Yes, please get a brand that features 99% less dust if you prefer clay
litter, or look into other types of litter. The dust is hazardous to
your cat's health.

Diana

blkcatgal December 31st 07 09:01 PM

KITTY LITTER DUST

I recently started using the World's Best Cat Litter. It's made from corn
(I think) and has less dust than some of the other types of litters. And it
clumps pretty good too.

S.
---

Dennis December 31st 07 09:50 PM

KITTY LITTER DUST

I'm using Scoop Away, smells good, clumps great, the cat likes it.

"Matthew" wrote in message
Are you using cheap litter if so upgrade

Dennis December 31st 07 10:25 PM

KITTY LITTER DUST

Thanks, that a great idea!

"Matthew" wrote in message
Does it say 99% dust free? you many have to get another brand that is
dust free if it spreading that much dust you may also put a hepa filter
machine nearby to help out

I use non scented brands with febreeze diffusers nearby I use a hepa
filter machine myself to collect the dust and smell

Barb[_2_] January 1st 08 01:40 AM

KITTY LITTER DUST

I use that one,too now...I love it and the cats do too!
Also, the Pet Ecology brand (the one that supposed to tell you of a urinary
problem), is dust free,too.

~Jan~ January 1st 08 05:19 PM

KITTY LITTER DUST

I use these products below, I have 3 cats and 3 boxes
They are great!!! no odors no dust :-)
Yesterday's News litters are made with recycled newspapers and contain no
small particles, so they're truly dust-free.
Fresh Step Crystals offers a convenient, lightweight litter that locks in
odor and absorbs wetness better than the leading clay litter dust-free

Upscale January 1st 08 05:34 PM

KITTY LITTER DUST

"Hactar" wrote in message
I looked online, but found that with shipping it cost about the same as
locally. Maybe if you order lots that isn't the case (after all, it'll
eventually get used, and it won't go bad in the mean time.

I think it depends on where you are for what brands are available. I'm in
Canada and I use Maxx Scoop. Excellent odour control and good dust control.
It's made by Purina.
http://www.purina.ca/products/catbox...page=maxxscoop

kraut January 1st 08 05:35 PM

KITTY LITTER DUST

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 16:07:22 GMT, (Hactar)
wrote:

I recently started using the World's Best Cat Litter. It's made from corn
(I think) and has less dust than some of the other types of litters. And
it clumps pretty good too.

I used it for a while. It pretty well eliminates the ammonia smell
until it becomes saturated with urine. What it doesn't do is clump up
the urine so it can be removed. What I do now is mix it approximately
half-and-half with "Tidy Cat 3" (one time I replenish the box with WBCL,
the next with TC3). Mostly clumping, but still has the anti-ammonia
thing going.

I have used Worlds Best for years. In fact that is all I ever used
and never had trouble with "clumping up the urine so it can be
removed".

As for getting saturated with urine if it scooped daily or twice daily
and changed regularly and not let go for extended periods it should
not get saturated. But then I usually scoop mine whenever I see one
of mine use it. Kind of like flushing the toilet every time you use
it. Try to clean litter box every use. Of course I am retired and
home all day so I can.

Good luck