CatBanter

-   Cat rescue (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   will this work? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=21890)

minerva nine September 8th 03 10:58 PM

will this work?

Greetings cat friends -- I lost one of my two formerly feral cats to a
speeding car last night, and I am now considering building an outdoor
enclosure for the other. Is this realistic? Can ferals live happily
in enclosures? She has become quite tame, but she is very much used
to being able to roam about at will, and becomes really agitated when
she is restricted at all (such as on our screened porch or if we let
her in the house). There is simply no way she will ever be happy as
an indoor cat, but I can't bear the thought of losing her too, since
I've become so attached to her. Could she have a happy life living on
our screened porch? We could put up stronger screen and a latching
door so she couldn't get out, but I'm afraid that it would not be a
good quality of life for her. Any thoughts? Thanks -- M9

m. L. Briggs September 9th 03 01:52 AM

On 8 Sep 2003 14:58:41 -0700, (minerva nine)
wrote:

Greetings cat friends -- I lost one of my two formerly feral cats to a
speeding car last night, and I am now considering building an outdoor
enclosure for the other. Is this realistic? Can ferals live happily
in enclosures? She has become quite tame, but she is very much used
to being able to roam about at will, and becomes really agitated when
she is restricted at all (such as on our screened porch or if we let
her in the house). There is simply no way she will ever be happy as
an indoor cat, but I can't bear the thought of losing her too, since
I've become so attached to her. Could she have a happy life living on
our screened porch? We could put up stronger screen and a latching
door so she couldn't get out, but I'm afraid that it would not be a
good quality of life for her. Any thoughts? Thanks -- M9

Has she been spayed? That would make a difference.

[email protected] September 9th 03 08:43 AM

Since this cat is tame, bring her in the house and make her an indoor
cat. If you provide her with a nice tall cat tree and give her toys and
lots of attention she'll be fine. I have taken in many feral cats over
the years and they have all adjusted.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

minerva nine September 11th 03 04:57 AM

wrote in message ...
Since this cat is tame, bring her in the house and make her an indoor
cat. If you provide her with a nice tall cat tree and give her toys and
lots of attention she'll be fine. I have taken in many feral cats over
the years and they have all adjusted.

Megan

This is exactly what I decided to do, after thinking about it. She's
now our third indoor cat, and is adjusting quite nicely. Thanks
everybody! - M9