CatBanter

-   -   Lab Testing after Thyroid treatment (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=112027)

Sylvia M[_3_] December 7th 14 02:31 AM

Lab Testing after Thyroid treatment

After having the radioactive iodine shot for hyperthyroid done one month
ago.my cat, Pit2nya had her one month lab work done...
Most of her numbers are now excellent:
T4 thyroid was 6.4, now it's only 1.9 (-:
Renal (Kidney function) is normal...that's good.
However:
Cholesterol is HIGH! 236 (should be 75 to 220)
I will be reading labels of both wet and dry foods quite carefully.

Any suggestions to start with?

Also Na/K Ratio is a bit low 31 instead of 32-41
How does one increase or reduce which of these?
(my math brain isn't functioning at the moment...too long inactivated)

She will be retested in 2 months. I'd like the tests to show improvements
by then.

The tests seemed quite pricey, but I have no comparisons for blood panels
and 'renal' urinalysis.

Sylvia

buglady[_2_] December 7th 14 11:09 PM

Lab Testing after Thyroid treatment

On 12/7/2014 3:36 PM, Sylvia M wrote:

Better fact finding than I have done. Many thanks.

...........that endocrine doc's site is the best!

Sodium 154 mEq/L range 145-158
Potassium 4.9 mEq/L range:3.4-5.6
Na/K Ratio 31 range 32-41

.......So it's only slightly askew. Just so you know what's dangerous, a
dog with undiagnosed Addison's disease had an Na:K ratio of 13:1. No
one knew why her heart was still beating.

And not after a fast, so I'll assume not an issue.

I'll calm down, check her diet, perhaps change part,
and wait for next test, given early in the morning, before feeding

.......Yes, breathe! I always do BW, if it's scheduled ahead, the first
thing in the AM. Then they only have to wait a bit for breakfast!

buglady
take out the dog before replying