CatBanter

-   -   My Tabby Cat, Tommy (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=72857)

miles July 15th 06 02:07 PM

My Tabby Cat, Tommy

I have a c.20-mth-old tabby, named Tommy, who ran away from my flat 11
mths ago, whilst I was holidaying in Hawaii with my partner. I called
him, and found him on the building's front lawn. He was out of the flat
for at least a week, as my family came to feed him one day, and he was
gone. Does any member know why cats and dogs often will escape from the
home but won't venture further than the immediate vicinity of the
house/building? Is it an instinct that there is no other place that
will care for them? Could it be that he did go further/much further
afield but returned? It would be very interesting if he had had a
tracking device/GPS device!

Thank you- Miles, Sydney.

Ann July 15th 06 03:12 PM

My Tabby Cat, Tommy

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 06:07:19 -0700, miles wrote:

Could it be that he did go further/much further afield but returned?

Definitely, yes. A cat that's outside might be frightened off by, for
example, a dog ... or it might just decide to go exploring. A breeding
age male that's not neutered is almost guaranteed to wander. If they're
very lucky and evade danger, have a good homing instinct, and liked
"home", they'll usually return. One difficulty with moving breeding cats
in particular is that if they're let outside at their new residence, they
very well may take off for "home".