CatBanter

-   -   expressing my cat's bladder (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=63458)

[email protected] October 8th 05 04:41 AM

expressing my cat's bladder

my cat suddenly became paraplegic. he's very old and i have little
hope of recovery. i have to manually express his bladder - he's a big
guy and i have a hard time telling what's what in his belly. i'm
afraid of hurting him or doing it too much and causing him worse
distress. does anyone have any tips or has anyone hurt their cat doing
this?

Lumpy October 8th 05 04:45 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
my cat suddenly became paraplegic. he's very old and i have little
hope of recovery. i have to manually express his bladder - he's a big
guy and i have a hard time telling what's what in his belly. i'm
afraid of hurting him or doing it too much and causing him worse
distress. does anyone have any tips or has anyone hurt their cat doing
this?

What does your vet say?

[email protected] October 8th 05 04:49 AM

What does your vet say?

to do it twice a day and that i probably can't hurt him. have you done
this?

Lumpy October 8th 05 04:52 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...

What does your vet say?

to do it twice a day and that i probably can't hurt him. have you done
this?

No, but I am wondering why your vet did not show you
how to do it.

Candace October 8th 05 08:20 AM

wrote:
my cat suddenly became paraplegic. he's very old and i have little
hope of recovery. i have to manually express his bladder - he's a big
guy and i have a hard time telling what's what in his belly. i'm
afraid of hurting him or doing it too much and causing him worse
distress. does anyone have any tips or has anyone hurt their cat doing
this?

Read a post from the past about this:

http://tinyurl.com/e3wtg

Candace

[email protected] October 8th 05 01:14 PM

they showed me how to do it. i'm not an expert yet and i'm afraid of
hurting him.

[email protected] October 8th 05 01:15 PM

thanks!

Lumpy October 8th 05 06:13 PM

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
my cat suddenly became paraplegic. he's very old and i have little
hope of recovery. i have to manually express his bladder - he's a big
guy and i have a hard time telling what's what in his belly. i'm
afraid of hurting him or doing it too much and causing him worse
distress. does anyone have any tips or has anyone hurt their cat doing
this?

Read a post from the past about this:

http://tinyurl.com/e3wtg

I'm so glad you found this, I had no idea how to help but was worried
to death about it.

Lumpy October 8th 05 06:15 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
they showed me how to do it. i'm not an expert yet and i'm afraid of
hurting him.

I understand. I see Candace posted a link. Good luck with it and I'm so
sorry it has happened. Please share with us as you help your kitty through
this, if you want to. You could help others who find themselves in your
position.

Candace October 8th 05 06:46 PM

wrote:
thanks!

Here's a website complete with pics:

http://tinyurl.com/8lxgh

Google "express cat's bladder" and a lot comes up. Don't be
discouraged. It sounds as though it's just one of those things that
takes a little time to be comfortable and good at and then it will be
no big deal for you or your kitty. It's very nice you are helping your
cat in this way, some people would not do so.

Candace