CatBanter

-   -   Indoor cat..quality of life? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19396)

Mary September 3rd 04 02:11 AM

"blair thompson" wrote in message
I recently lost my guy to the coyotes. I live adjacent to a
forested area where they are active, so I am thinking my next best
friend should be confined to quarters

I have been reading the many compelling arguments in favour of
keeping a cat inside---the safety angle, longevity cf to the
free-rangers, etc. I know there is much one can do to make indoor
living tolerable to a cat, such as cat tree, cat grass munchies, toys,
etc.

But I am still wondering what the consensus here might be to
just how pleasurable life really is for an indoor cat, Or am I just
anthropomorphizing human traits onto a cat, and they really don't need
as much stimuli in a day as we do, especially when they sleep 15-plus
hours out of every 24? :) What about the second-cat-to-keep-the
-first-one-company option?

They have great lives! No danger, plenty of fun with toys
and each other, lots of food. YES get another cat,
a litter mate would be perfect or a mother and
kitten!

Phil P. September 3rd 04 02:33 AM

"blair thompson" wrote in message
I recently lost my guy to the coyotes. I live adjacent to a
forested area where they are active, so I am thinking my next best
friend should be confined to quarters

I have been reading the many compelling arguments in favour of
keeping a cat inside---the safety angle, longevity cf to the
free-rangers, etc. I know there is much one can do to make indoor
living tolerable to a cat, such as cat tree, cat grass munchies, toys,
etc.

But I am still wondering what the consensus here might be to
just how pleasurable life really is for an indoor cat, Or am I just
anthropomorphizing human traits onto a cat, and they really don't need
as much stimuli in a day as we do, especially when they sleep 15-plus
hours out of every 24? :) What about the second-cat-to-keep-the
-first-one-company option?

Your decision must be made very carefully because your cats' lives depend on
it. The risk-to-benifit ratio must be carefully evaluated.

Maybe these will help you decide:

http://maxshouse.com/Healthy+Happy_Indoors.htm

http://maxshouse.com/outdoor_risks.htm

Phil

Meg St. Clair September 3rd 04 03:27 AM

On 2004-09-02 19:53:54 -0400, blair thompson said:

But I am still wondering what the consensus here might be to
just how pleasurable life really is for an indoor cat, Or am I just
anthropomorphizing human traits onto a cat, and they really don't need
as much stimuli in a day as we do, especially when they sleep 15-plus
hours out of every 24? :) What about the second-cat-to-keep-the
-first-one-company option?

Growing up, we always let our cats out. After I had a cat disappear, a
second cat suffered an unknown injury (or poisoning) that caused
seizures, blindness and partial paralysis, and found out that my half
grown cat had killed a rat that was as big as he was, I decided I
couldn't take it any more.

My present cat has never been outside except in a carrier. We live in a
large, three story Victorian with a basement which has lots of great
hiding and climbing places (due to the fact that we accumulate stuff).
My housemate also has a cat so they have each other when there's no one
at home (which is rare). I think my cat seems pretty happy. I don't
think that she would even like the outside very much as she hates
uneven surfaces, won't even walk over a pile of laundry on the floor,
she'll walk around it instead.

They have toys, multiple scratching surfaces, multiple litter boxes.
The other cat is a bit neurotic but it mostly revolves around his
extreme attachment to his person. He was neglected as a kitten and was
rescued. I don't think his occasional weirdness has anything to do with
his being an indoor cat.

The other cat used to be an indoor/outdoor cat and occasionally tries
to get out, succeeds once in a great while, then panics and hides under
the nearest porch. As we live on a busy street, in a neighborhood were
lots of people do let their cats run lose and there has been a small
colony of ferals nearby, I wouldn't ever consider letting my cat out
here. If I were you, I probably wouldn't be able to bear the thought
of losing another cat to a coyote. But you have to make your own
choices.

Good luck,
Meg

Jeannie September 3rd 04 11:09 AM

"blair thompson" wrote in message
I recently lost my guy to the coyotes. I live adjacent to a
forested area where they are active, so I am thinking my next best
friend should be confined to quarters

I have been reading the many compelling arguments in favour of
keeping a cat inside---the safety angle, longevity cf to the
free-rangers, etc. I know there is much one can do to make indoor
living tolerable to a cat, such as cat tree, cat grass munchies, toys,
etc.

But I am still wondering what the consensus here might be to
just how pleasurable life really is for an indoor cat, Or am I just
anthropomorphizing human traits onto a cat, and they really don't need
as much stimuli in a day as we do, especially when they sleep 15-plus
hours out of every 24? :) What about the second-cat-to-keep-the
-first-one-company option?

Thanks for your input.

Blair Thompson
North Vancouver, B.C.

I think that keeping a cat inside is OK if the cat has always been an indoor
only cat and doesn't know any different. I would also suggest getting two
cats rather than one as they will then keep each other company when your not
there.

I do find that if you read this newsgroup regularly, you will find a higher
incidence of things like, cats on Prozac (??), inappropriate illimination
issues, stress related behavior, e.g. fur biting, among indoor only cats. I
would like to stress that this is my perception and it may just be because
there are a high proportion of Americans who post here and they are more
likely to keep their cats indoor only.

Having said that, there are also the obvious risks for an indoor / outdoor
cat too so neither situation is perfect. I would say that if you have
already had one cat killed by coyotes it's probably not such a good idea to
let any future cats outside, or at the very least, not between dusk and
dawn, which I have been led to believe is when coyotes are most active.

Could build some kind of outside enclosure for you cat? That could be an
option.

Jeannie

---