CatBanter

-   -   Do cats *really* keep mice away? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=89276)

Peter Jason June 16th 08 08:54 AM

Do cats *really* keep mice away?

I am thinking of buying a cat because of all
the mice in the house.

I trap them but they just keep coming.

Is it true that all the mice will vanish once
the cat arrives?

Is it true that if you feed the cat too much,
it will ignore the mice?

Please help. Peter

cybercat June 16th 08 10:29 AM

Peter Jason wrote:
I am thinking of buying a cat because of all
the mice in the house.

I trap them but they just keep coming.

Is it true that all the mice will vanish once
the cat arrives?

Is it true that if you feed the cat too much,
it will ignore the mice?

Please help. Peter

See a professional exterminator for your mousing needs.
Get a cat if you decide you really like them and want one
as a companion.

What the **** is wrong with you? They are not appliances,
they are wonderful creatures who happen to kick mouse ass.

They are not tools.

Buddy's Mom June 16th 08 10:57 AM

Do cats *really* keep mice away?

No, a cat won't keep the mice away. And the cat may not even hunt the
mice in your house. They may just play with the mice. You really
need to determine how the mice are getting in and fix that. Don't get
a cat simply for that reason.

Bobblespin June 16th 08 02:03 PM

Do cats *really* keep mice away?

"Peter Jason" wrote in news:g3567q$bbl$1
@otis.netspace.net.au:

I am thinking of buying a cat because of all
the mice in the house.

I trap them but they just keep coming.

Is it true that all the mice will vanish once
the cat arrives?

Is it true that if you feed the cat too much,
it will ignore the mice?

Please help. Peter

No. We had 3 cats at once and mice too. Cats can only catch them if they
can get to them. In our case, the mice were in the basement ceiling and
the cats couldn't get to them. They could hear them running inside the
walls too and it would drive them nuts!

Rene S. June 16th 08 03:35 PM

Do cats *really* keep mice away?

No. *We had 3 cats at once and mice too. *Cats can only catch them if they
can get to them. *In our case, the mice were in the basement ceiling and
the cats couldn't get to them. *They could hear them running inside the
walls too and it would drive them nuts!

Same here.

Also, some cats will catch mice even if well fed, and others just
aren't interested.

I'd suggest calling an exterminator. Perhaps he/she can help you
determining how and where these mice are getting in.

chatnoir June 17th 08 01:44 AM

On Jun 16, 1:54*am, "Peter Jason" wrote:
I am thinking of buying a cat because of all
the mice in the house.

I trap them but they just keep coming.

Is it true that all the mice will vanish once
the cat arrives?

Is it true that if you feed the cat too much,
it will ignore the mice?

Please help. Peter

Well mine have always kept the mice away!

MaryL June 17th 08 05:52 AM

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a cat because of all the mice in the house.

I trap them but they just keep coming.

Is it true that all the mice will vanish once the cat arrives?

Is it true that if you feed the cat too much, it will ignore the mice?

Please help. Peter

In addition to what the others have written: You *do* need to feed your cat,
regardless of mouse-catching abilities. My grandfather was a farmer and had
a number of barn cats. This certainly helped with rodent control but did
not result in "keeping the mice away." However, he also fed his cats very
well. He used to point out that a lot of what the cats were doing was
actually instinct to hunt for prey. It had nothing to do with keeping a cat
"hungry" so they would hunt. In fact, he believe that a healthy well-fed
cat was actually a better "mouser" than a cat that was underfed. (I do
realize that you said feed a cat "too much" and did not talk about
starvation, but I think it is important to recognize that hunger is not the
driving force when cats pursue mice. It is often like a form of recreation
for them.)

MaryL

dejablues[_4_] June 17th 08 01:56 PM

Do cats *really* keep mice away?

. ..

[...]

Besides, cats shouldn't eat mice. They are full of parasites.

MaryL June 17th 08 03:50 PM

"dejablues" wrote in message

Besides, cats shouldn't eat mice. They are full of parasites.

My cats don't eat mice, and the only mice they play with are little toys
that *I* bring home. That's because they are indoor cats, and (fortunately)
I have never seen any real mice in this house. I don't know how you are
going to convince outdoor cats "not to eat mice," though!

MaryL

Not me June 17th 08 05:41 PM

Do cats *really* keep mice away?

Daniel Bernard wrote in
:

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:50:15 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"dejablues" wrote in message

Besides, cats shouldn't eat mice. They are full of parasites.

My cats don't eat mice, and the only mice they play with are little
toys that *I* bring home. That's because they are indoor cats, and
(fortunately) I have never seen any real mice in this house. I don't
know how you are going to convince outdoor cats "not to eat mice,"
though!

AFAIK, my little hunters have never eaten anything they have caught.
They do bring home their prey as gifts, though.

--
amicalement,

Daniel
http://toutsaufsarkozy.com/

One of my cats used to hunt and bring home prey. He'd drop a live mouse
in front of the other cat who had no idea what to do. He'd watch it run
off with no interest in it whatsoever.