CatBanter

-   -   Dry Food Good For Teeth and Gum Health? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=28347)

biggerbadderbarry June 20th 05 03:05 AM

Dry Food Good For Teeth and Gum Health?

I feel like my cat should get some dry food
for the benefit of teeth and gums.

Can I get an Amen?

[email protected] June 20th 05 03:35 AM

I feel like my cat should get some dry
food for the benefit of teeth and gums.
Can I get an Amen?

No, you may not. I will, however, give you this:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph... cleantheteeth

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Phil P. June 20th 05 06:56 AM

oups.com...

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutr...i ch_is_reall

Brad June 21st 05 07:26 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 01:56:52 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"biggerbadderbarry" wrote in message
roups.com...
I feel like my cat should get some dry food
for the benefit of teeth and gums.

Can I get an Amen?

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutr...i ch_is_reall

Phil please spare me from rereading that piece, I read through it and
never found a conclusion as to what is best, the title makes you
assume that a conclusion will be forthcoming.

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Phil P. June 21st 05 10:09 AM

wrote:

"biggerbadderbarry" wrote in message
roups.com...
I feel like my cat should get some dry food
for the benefit of teeth and gums.

Can I get an Amen?

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutr...ned_Food.__Whi

ch_is_reall

Phil please spare me from rereading that piece, I read through it and
never found a conclusion as to what is best, the title makes you
assume that a conclusion will be forthcoming.

The conclusion is obvious. The *slight* dental benefit of dry food does not
offset the risks. Look in your cat's mouth. Do you see any first
premolars or lower (inferior) first or second premolars? You don't, do you?
Do you know why?

biggerbadderbarry June 21st 05 01:03 PM

Brad wrote:

Phil please spare me from rereading that piece, I read through it and
never found a conclusion as to what is best, the title makes you
assume that a conclusion will be forthcoming.

Brad

Laying aside tooth and gum stimulation: In humans, foods with higher
water content
is better (fruits and veggies). So of course I would be interested in
the best food I can feed fluffy,

OTH - There's nothing I love better than to rip into a big red apple -
this also makes my teeth happy.

Do they make cat apples

PawsForThought June 21st 05 01:09 PM

biggerbadderbarry wrote:

Do they make cat apples

Yep, but they're called chicken gizzards. Provide great exercise for
the cat's jaw and teeth.

Lauren

Brad June 25th 05 08:01 PM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 05:09:28 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

The conclusion is obvious. The *slight* dental benefit of dry food does not
offset the risks. Look in your cat's mouth. Do you see any first
premolars or lower (inferior) first or second premolars? You don't, do you?
Do you know why?

I'm not good with these brain teasers I don't have enough
brains......The breeder I bought from......two vets who I interviewed
fo select one for my kitten and two personal friends all said that dry
food has always been fine with no health problems relating to
food.......my breeder has never fed anything other than dry after a
few weeks and also has never had a problem......nothing I have found
has been decisive to say either way one is better than the other but
testimonials from people I actually know have to weigh heavily on my
decision.

biggerbadderbarry June 25th 05 08:09 PM

Brad wrote:

I'm not good with these brain teasers I don't have enough
brains......The breeder I bought from......two vets who I interviewed
fo select one for my kitten and two personal friends all said that dry
food has always been fine with no health problems relating to
food.......my breeder has never fed anything other than dry after a
few weeks and also has never had a problem......nothing I have found
has been decisive to say either way one is better than the other but
testimonials from people I actually know have to weigh heavily on my
decision.

Look! The lady done said, get a bucket of chicken innards (Gizzards)
and
let the cat chew on them; you know, stash some around the house for
later.

What the cat don't chew on, I use for catfish bait!

Fritti June 26th 05 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggerbadderbarry
I feel like my cat should get some dry food
for the benefit of teeth and gums.

Can I get an Amen?

You've got mine. Dryfood is way better than soft canned food. It prevents placque. As an example: My dearest darling Venus and her sister Roberta were cats I got from someone else. She fed both cats wet canned food three meals a day. When I took the cats, they had placque on their teeth thicker than their teeth! They both needed an intense dental clean-up under full anasthetic. All twelve of my cats right now get nothing but dry food, and it sure benefits their teeth. The only soft things they get to eat is a bit of liverwurst or cheese every now and then. When they got their teeth cleaned, Venus almost didn't come out of the anasthetic afterwards, and I sure don't ever want to go through such a horrifyingly scaring experience again. So... feed your cat dryfood. Amen.
Purrs,
Fritti and his gang.