CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Claws (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=21508)

David Wright June 7th 04 07:53 PM

Claws

Hello,

My cat is continually scratching my neighbours cars - they have caught him
scratching up and down the wings, and on the bonnet. They have been decent
enough about it, but patience only lasts for so long!

My question is, is it legal or ethical or possible to get a cat's claws
clipped/removed/something else to avoid my cat doing this? He is a domestic
tom, aged 2 years.

Thanks,
D.

David Stevenson June 7th 04 08:23 PM

David Wright wrote
Hello,

My cat is continually scratching my neighbours cars - they have caught him
scratching up and down the wings, and on the bonnet. They have been decent
enough about it, but patience only lasts for so long!

My question is, is it legal or ethical or possible to get a cat's claws
clipped/removed/something else to avoid my cat doing this? He is a domestic
tom, aged 2 years.

Clipped, certainly. I clip my cats claws regularly.

Removed? well, apart form the distaste that several people on this NG
including me feel for this practice, ie we do not think it ethical,
whether it is legal depends on your country which you did not name. It
is illegal in much of Europe, legal in much of North America.

Something else: people talk about SoftPaws. I know nothing about it
myself.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome

Kristine Kochanski June 7th 04 09:37 PM

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 19:23:00 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
wrote:

[...]

I believe these are like glue-on caps, not sure if they're available
outside the US, I've certainly never seen them. I personally wouldn't
recommend you clip any cat's claws who goes outside - their claws are
their primary defence against attack from other cats/predators. Why
don't you just discourage the cat from scratching the car? Squirt it
with water when you catch it scratching, smear the bonnet with
something greasy, if it's doing it at night, keep the cat in. There
are umpteen humane alternatives.

Camilla Baird June 7th 04 09:47 PM

David Wright wrote:
Hello,

My cat is continually scratching my neighbours cars - they have caught him
scratching up and down the wings, and on the bonnet. They have been decent
enough about it, but patience only lasts for so long!

My question is, is it legal or ethical or possible to get a cat's claws
clipped/removed/something else to avoid my cat doing this? He is a domestic
tom, aged 2 years.

Thanks,
D.

It might be legal for vets to remove claws in US, but it certainly isn't
ethical. It is mutilating the cat.
A better solution for you - and certainly for the cat! - might be to
stop it from getting to your neighbours' cars. Is it possible for you to
fence in your garden somehow? Here is how we have fenced in our garden:
http://www.dk-fritid-dyr-kat.dk/nyhe...&picnumber=228
You say he is a tom - does this mean he is not neutered? Neutering him
might help keeping him closer to your home.
Camilla

Laura R. June 7th 04 09:59 PM

circa Mon, 7 Jun 2004 19:53:45 +0100, in alt.cats, David Wright
) said,
Hello,

My cat is continually scratching my neighbours cars - they have caught him
scratching up and down the wings, and on the bonnet. They have been decent
enough about it, but patience only lasts for so long!

My question is, is it legal or ethical or possible to get a cat's claws
clipped/removed/something else to avoid my cat doing this? He is a domestic
tom, aged 2 years.

It is my understanding that declawing is not legal in the UK, where
you are.

Softpaws may be investigated he

http://www.softpaws.com

I have used them in the past with success.

I would second the other recommendations you've been given.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Wendy June 7th 04 10:10 PM

"David Stevenson" wrote in message
[...]

In this case the removal of the claws would force the owner to exercise
another option - keep the cat indoors. It would be an extremely cruel thing
to let a declawed cat roam freely.

Claws can be easily clipped either by the owner or by a vet or groomer.
SoftPaws mentioned above are glued onto the trimmed claw and I understand
last 4 - 6 wks and then must be reapplied. They are available online and
some groomers will apply them for you.

The OP might want to consider building an enclosure in their yard where the
cat can be outside but not able to roam the neighborhood.

I also am wondering if the cat is neutered.