CatBanter

-   -   Science Diet question... (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=14836)

PawsForThought November 30th 03 09:01 PM

From: (GAUBSTER2)

From: afr

Interesting shift in ingredients.

No, just a change in the preservative system. That should make most of you
happy, no?

Shortly after that, during an informal chat with a woman who worked for a
pet insurance company (who sent me an article in the mail), I heard that
there was research indicating a strong link between bha and bht in
science diet and kidney cancer in cats.

Unfortunately, there is no such "link". Which insurance company was it? I
want to know so that I can steer clear of them! BHA and BHT are completely
safe preservatives when used at the levels found in pet foods. Period.

http://www.takingthelead.co.uk/2/Hea...t_dog_food.htm

________

Joe Canuck December 1st 03 01:00 AM

Steve Crane wrote:

Joe Canuck wrote in message m...

Okay, this has just come to my attention. Can anyone explain why there
is a discrepancy between the ingredient list on the bag and the
ingredient list on the website for Science Diet Adult Chicken & Rice Recipe?

Joe et al,
The website is updated within ~24 hours of any change in the
formula. The pre-printed bags can often be printed months in advance.
In this case the old bag you have contains the old "artificial
antioxidant" labelling. That does not mean the product contains
artificial antioxidants, simply old bags being used until they are
gone. The product was changed months ago. I'd be curious to know the
date on the older bag.

I purchased the bag at least one month ago now.

At the top of the bag is the following:

"BEST BEFORE 04 2004 R26100916 AW".

Here is a question: By the time a bag makes into a store, how far away
from the expiry date should the bag be?

I purchased this one from a local vet who had to order it. I would have
liked a fresher product. Good thing I didn't order the 20 pound bag!

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Steve Crane December 1st 03 01:40 AM

"ChakaShiva" wrote in message . ..

Thank you for that info. It does give alot of liberty. I wonder if the law
applies when the product crosses the line to another country who might have
different rules?

That is correct, each country has its' own rules and regulations. Even
the way the nutrients are displayed varies from one area to another.
Japan is by far the most difficult and stringent of any country. EU is
annoying, owing mostly to protectionist activities.

I wonder if this retailer dealt directly with Hill's though, since he
doesn't seem to carry much of an inventory of their product. Is there a
minimum that they are suppose to carry?
I can understand the company for wanting damaged bags off the shelf. It
does tarnish the image. In fact, the first time I noticed the bag was
within the moments I was hesitant on if I should really go the home-prepared
way. The sight of that sorry bag kind of triggered the green light. I
thought, yeah, I'll give it a try.

It is possible. I believe Canada works the same way, since it is an
actual division of Hill's. In some countries, Ukraine, South Africa,
India, South America, etc, there is a distributor who set thier own
rules and regulations about returns and damages. Minimum order in the
US is only 75 pounds, so that rarely is an issue even for the smallest
of veterinary clinics or pet retailers. Even the vet in Barrow Alaska
doesn't have any trouble with the minimums.

Steve Crane December 1st 03 02:41 PM

Joe Canuck wrote in message ...

I purchased the bag at least one month ago now.

At the top of the bag is the following:

"BEST BEFORE 04 2004 R26100916 AW".

Here is a question: By the time a bag makes into a store, how far away
from the expiry date should the bag be?

Joe,
That date indicates it was produced in April of 2003, about 7 months
ago. That's actually quite old for most Hill's products. 20 years ago
Hill's used to manufacture one type of food for a week or more and
then switch to the next needed item. Production runs were always quite
long because it used to take nearly 2 full days to switch a
manufacturing line from one food to another. Automation, better
equipment and computer driven manufacturing has reduced that switch
over time to about 13 minutes. Hill's no longer makes more food than
will be sold in any given week. Some exceptions, Hill's has a couple
Prescription Diet products that have very small use. Some of these are
non-profit products due to their low consumption rate and a single
manufacturing run could be a few months supply.
Most of the time the bags on the retail shelf will be less than a
month old, especially in a veterinary clinic. Particularly true for
Science Diet products with their larger volume demands. I would have
to check with Canada and see if they are warehousing foods. I would
doubt it. We have no warehousing anywhere in the US. We have local
distribution points which may maintain a weeks supply at the most, of
Science Diet products, but no warehousing to hold anything long term.
Canned food we do tend to warehouse in Canada, Alaska, and some parts
of the Pacific Northwest due to problems shipping it in the winter.
Freezing canned food wreaks havoc with palatability.

What part of Canada are you in?

GAUBSTER2 December 1st 03 03:47 PM

From: olitter (PawsForThought)

I heard that
there was research indicating a strong link between bha and bht in
science diet and kidney cancer in cats.

Unfortunately, there is no such "link". Which insurance company was it? I
want to know so that I can steer clear of them! BHA and BHT are completely
safe preservatives when used at the levels found in pet foods. Period.

http://www.takingthelead.co.uk/2/Hea...t_dog_food.htm

That wasn't even a nice try, not even for you Lauren. That's the same opinion
(word for word) that's posted on countless websites. Too bad, AGAIN, that
there is no proof, but only somebody's opinion. Where's the research
indicating a "strong link"??

Check out www.petdiets.com

Joe Canuck December 1st 03 05:16 PM

Steve Crane wrote:

Joe Canuck wrote in message ...

[...]

Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec... about 500 miles straight north of Montreal.

When I order, the food takes less than a week to arrive at the vet. So
the order time is great, but the product I get seems to have been
sitting around for a while.

I ordered two bags each within a week of each other. The SD Adult
Chicken which we have been discussing, and a bag of SD Nature's Best...
the expiry on that bag is "BEST BEFORE 07 2004 K17171455 PN"

Now, I noticed at a store in town a rather sorry looking 8.5 lb bag of
Science Diet Nature's Best. The bag was sitting on the floor by the
door. This was the end of October, the expiry date was November the next
month. Clerk tried to convince me to buy the bag which I didn't.