CatBanter

-   -   OT Venus transit today (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=107988)

---MIKE--- June 5th 12 05:46 PM

OT Venus transit today

For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

jmcquown[_2_] June 5th 12 09:17 PM

OT Venus transit today

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Unfortunately, I don't own welder's goggles ;) And it's raining. I won't
be seeing Venus do anything with the sun today.

Jill

Bastette June 6th 12 12:55 AM

OT Venus transit today

---MIKE--- wrote:

For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.

Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't for 105
years? That's a pretty irregular schedule. One thing I've always noticed,
though, is that when there's an unusual celestial event, people will say,
"this won't happen for another big number of years!" and then I read
about it coming up again a few years later.

You might be right, of course. And I'm not really challenging your
statement. It just always seems, to me, like these things happen a lot
more often than we're told they're going to happen.

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker

Takayuki June 6th 12 03:31 AM

OT Venus transit today

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:55:37 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

---MIKE--- wrote:

For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.

Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't for 105
years? That's a pretty irregular schedule. One thing I've always noticed,
though, is that when there's an unusual celestial event, people will say,
"this won't happen for another big number of years!" and then I read
about it coming up again a few years later.

You might be right, of course. And I'm not really challenging your
statement. It just always seems, to me, like these things happen a lot
more often than we're told they're going to happen.

I figure it's like the weather. Transits of Venus, eclipses, etc., are just
not possible to predict more than a few days ahead, due to chaos theory and
leprechauns and other factors.

Bastette June 6th 12 06:56 AM

OT Venus transit today

wrote:

---MIKE--- wrote:

[...]

I assume you're joking - I think those things are very predictable.
I just think my sources (ie, the people who say "this is the last time
in our life we can see this") might be mistaken.

Jack Campin June 6th 12 09:25 AM

OT Venus transit today

[transits of Venus]
Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't
for 105 years? That's a pretty irregular schedule.

They tend to come in pairs a few years apart, as you may recall from
the pair in 1892 BC and 1884 BC:

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/transit...usCatalog.html

Bastette June 6th 12 10:50 AM

OT Venus transit today

Jack Campin wrote:

[transits of Venus]
Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't
for 105 years? That's a pretty irregular schedule.

They tend to come in pairs a few years apart, as you may recall from
the pair in 1892 BC and 1884 BC:

Yes, that's right - I should have remembered, having been there and
all. Thanks for the reminder. :)

--
Joyce

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman

William Hamblen[_3_] June 6th 12 02:58 PM

OT Venus transit today

On 6/5/2012 3:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Unfortunately, I don't own welder's goggles ;) And it's raining. I won't
be seeing Venus do anything with the sun today.

Jill

The Sun was out and so was I and about 3,000 other people at the Sudekum
Planetarium in Nashville, TN. Here are a couple of people shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bud_hamblen/sets/72157630062798150/

OBrpca: Telescopes where the image is formed by a combination of
mirrors and lenses are referred to as catadioptric telescopes,
frequently shortened to _cats_.

Bud

William Hamblen[_3_] June 6th 12 03:10 PM

OT Venus transit today

On 6/5/2012 6:55 PM, Bastette wrote:
---MIKE--- wrote:

For those with clear skies (not here) you can observe the planet Venus
cross in front of the sun this afternoon. It starts a little after 6 PM
eastern time. This won't happen again for 105 years. Be sure to have
eye protection such as welder's goggles.

Didn't this just happen a few years ago? And the next one isn't for 105
years? That's a pretty irregular schedule. One thing I've always noticed,
though, is that when there's an unusual celestial event, people will say,
"this won't happen for anotherbig number of years!" and then I read
about it coming up again a few years later.

You might be right, of course. And I'm not really challenging your
statement. It just always seems, to me, like these things happen a lot
more often than we're told they're going to happen.

Celestial events are the most regular things we know about. It will
teach you humility to realize that the universe rolls on, whether you
know or care about it or not. The universe certainly doesn't care about
you.

Transits of Venus occur in pairs eight years apart, but each pair of
transits are separated by more than a century. Only eight of them have
been seen by human eyes in all of recorded history. I feel fortunate
that circumstances permitted me to see this one.

Bud

William Hamblen[_3_] June 6th 12 03:15 PM

OT Venus transit today

wrote:

---MIKE--- wrote:

[...]

You might live another one hundred and five years, but I am not counting
on it.

Bud