CatBanter

-   -   Mad kitty! (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=8428)

Kreisleriana October 23rd 04 01:09 AM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:36:49 -0500, Jeanne Hedge
yodeled:

On 22 Oct 2004 15:31:21 -0700,
(Enfilade) wrote:

We ALWAYS say go down cellar. I'm from a community of German
immigrants who settled in Ontario. I still say that myself.

I don't know about "go down the cellar", but in southern New Jersey
people "go down the shore" instead of "go to the beach"

My partner is from Prince Edward Island where "go down to the
basement" is in use.

Here's another one--what's that big soft thing you sit on in the
living room? To us it's a couch, but my grandmother calls it "a
chesterfield."

My US Midwest (central Indiana) grandmother called it a "davenport",
while my other grandmother, also from the US Midwest (western Iowa),
called it a "couch".

Hey, what about "sofa" ? ;)

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Elise October 23rd 04 01:09 AM

wrote in message
I'd like to pause for just a moment, to have a tangential linguistic
discussion.

Singh wrote:

Just to be on the safe side, Louie rigged up the dresser so she can't
get beneath it now. So at least if she does go down cellar, we have
some idea of how and where to find her.

Oh, *WOW*!! I haven't heard the phrase "go down cellar" for years! (It
means "go down to the basement", for the uninitiated.) But that's how my
mother always said it. I just had a childhood flashback!

I'm from Boston. My parents are from Boston. All of their parents were
born in Boston, too. So I'm thinking maybe "down cellar" is a Boston-ism.
Or maybe a New England-ism?

Where're you from again? (Sorry, I can't remember at the moment.)

We now return you to our cliff-hanging story of Odessa, the magically
disappearing and reappearing kitty-brat. :)

Joyce

I can't say I've ever heard the phrase used. I've lived in (south-western)
Connecticut most of my life, my mother is from New Jersey and my father from
Illinois. We've always used "go down to the basement", so not a New
England-ism unless the proximity to NYC has altered the local speech
patterns.
However, mom uses "go down the [Jersey] shore" as do all her New Jersey
relatives.

Yoj October 23rd 04 02:09 AM

wrote in message
Yoj wrote:

...I find it strange that British and Australians say someone is
"in hospital", rather than "in *the* hospital".

That sounds strange to me, too, simply because I'm not used to it. But
I thought about it, and decided that the British and Australian way

makes
more sense. After all, if you say "in THE hospital", you must be

talking
about a specific hospital, LOL! At least, that's how it must sound to
an Aussie or Brit (does it?).

Generally a person is in a specific hospital. G

Joy

Joyce - I still say "in the hospital" because otherwise people would
think I was putting on airs!

Yoj October 23rd 04 02:19 AM

(Enfilade) wrote:

We ALWAYS say go down cellar. I'm from a community of German
immigrants who settled in Ontario. I still say that myself.

I don't know about "go down the cellar", but in southern New Jersey
people "go down the shore" instead of "go to the beach"

My partner is from Prince Edward Island where "go down to the
basement" is in use.

Here's another one--what's that big soft thing you sit on in the
living room? To us it's a couch, but my grandmother calls it "a
chesterfield."

My US Midwest (central Indiana) grandmother called it a "davenport",
while my other grandmother, also from the US Midwest (western Iowa),
called it a "couch".

Hey, what about "sofa" ? ;)

Theresa

We always called it a "davenport". I was floored when my son-in-law,
who is from Maine, asked, "What is a davenport?"

Joy