CatBanter

-   -   I don't wanna miss anything (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=65780)

Bridget December 25th 05 09:33 AM

I don't wanna miss anything

Stripey Thing has decided he is only going to answer to Tony and
Mattie's names. He still knows his name, he just won't come to it as
often anymore. But it is a guarantee that if I call Mattie I will get
not only Mattie, but Stripey Thing as well. In fact, I might even get
Stripey Thing before Mattie manages to show up. He's figured out that
if someone's name is being called it probably means good things - even
if it is only pettin's and he wants in on it. The other cats aren't so
bright. They only come when their name is called.

I had to open the front door to air out the place because the smoke
detectors were going off this afternoon because my oven was making too
much smoke - I hate sensitive smoke detectors - and I had to leave the
room to turn on fans and such. When it was all over to make sure I had
all three cats I did a head count and Stripey Thing was missing. I
checked outside and he wasn't there, so I called for him and he didn't
come, so I called for Mattie - who was mightily confused when I kept
calling for her after she showed up. And who should show up a couple of
calls later but Stripey Thing. They both got lots of snuggles for
surviving the loud beeping monster. And I will reward Stripey Thing for
showing up however he wants to show up because I want him to show up
when I call SOME name. :)

Bridget

jmcquown December 25th 05 12:05 PM

I don't wanna miss anything

Bridget wrote:
[...]

LOLOL I'm sorry, poor Mattie must have thought you'd lost your mind!

I had a similar smoke alarm emergency back in 1998. I'd just moved into
this apartment and was thrilled to have a fireplace... so I bought some wood
and lit a fire. Nice fire! And the entire place rapidly filled up with
smoke... yes, I had the damper open. And the doors, and the windows and
fans running. A squirrel had made a nest in the chimney cap!

I yanked the battery out of the smoke alarm by my bedroom - whew! But the
one in the front hallway? This is when I discovered it was hard-wired into
the electrical system. Oh crap! I had to stand on a step stool and wave a
magazine at it every few minutes for several hours. All this time, of
course, the doors and windows were open and the fans were running and it was
about 30F outside. Brrrrrr!

The apartment manager sent a chimney sweep over the next day and they
removed the nest, cleaned the flue and replaced the wire around the chimney
cap. So much for enjoying a fire in my (then) new apartment, though.

Jill

Marina December 25th 05 12:51 PM

I don't wanna miss anything

Bridget wrote:
Stripey Thing has decided he is only going to answer to Tony and
Mattie's names. He still knows his name, he just won't come to it as
often anymore.

Frank was like that; when I called Nikki, Frank would appear. He would
even look a little disgruntled when I would keep calling Nikki, as if
thinking, 'I'm here, what do you need her for? Just give me the
goodies.' My sister's cat Linus is the same when she calls her other
cat, Ronja. He even tries to make himself look smaller, which is very
very hard for him to do, as he is a very big and 'fluffy' cat, and Ronja
is only half his size or less. It's the funniest thing when he scrunches
himself together and tries to look all young and innocenent.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

SuzQ December 27th 05 11:19 PM

I don't wanna miss anything

--
Marina,

Whenever there's a loud noise (lawn dudes, testing fire alarms, vacuum
monster) Spicey hides under the bed or becomes a bedlump under the quilt.
Suz&Spicey