CatBanter

-   -   OT Rant, rant rant (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25634)

SuzQ March 26th 05 06:54 PM

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

Capitol bill aims to control Œleftist¹ profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

Marina responded:
*boggle*
======================================
The person who thought this up should be nominated for a Darwin Award.
Suz&Spicey

Kreisleriana March 26th 05 07:10 PM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:54:43 -0500, "SuzQ"
yodeled:

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

Capitol bill aims to control Œleftist¹ profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

Marina responded:
*boggle*
======================================
The person who thought this up should be nominated for a Darwin Award.

So to speak. ;)

Theresa

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) March 26th 05 08:49 PM

SuzQ wrote:

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

Capitol bill aims to control "leftist" profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

Marina responded:
*boggle*
======================================
The person who thought this up should be nominated for a Darwin Award.
Suz&Spicey

I agree! However, I think you can only win that if you're
dead. (Otherwise you're still part of the human gene-pool.)

Shiral March 26th 05 09:30 PM

As Anne Lammott says, "You know you've created God in your own image,
when it turns out He hates all the same people you do." =o)

Unfortunately, more and more I think the loonies are running this
asylum. Perhaps one reason they act the way they do is that they
believe the Rapture is imminent, and they won't have to clean up the
messes they're making.

Sigh......

Melissa

O J March 26th 05 10:22 PM

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

SuzQ wrote:

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

Capitol bill aims to control "leftist" profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

Marina responded:
*boggle*
======================================
The person who thought this up should be nominated for a Darwin Award.
Suz&Spicey

I agree! However, I think you can only win that if you're
dead. (Otherwise you're still part of the human gene-pool.)

You can still be awarded the prize if you've somehow managed to
prevent yourself from taking part in normal reproductive functions
while remaining alive. I believe there is a special category for
accidents with vacuum cleaners, etc.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Kreisleriana March 26th 05 10:58 PM

On 26 Mar 2005 12:30:55 -0800, "Shiral"
yodeled:

As Anne Lammott says, "You know you've created God in your own image,
when it turns out He hates all the same people you do." =o)

Reminds me of a joke.

(Religious joke warning)

A man dies and goes to heaven. St. Peter shows him around. The place
is full of light, peace and joy. There are all kinds of people there,
all beatifically happy in the contemplation of God. After awhile,
they pass a group of people who are different. They stand apart,
looking very down and depressed. The man said "What's wrong with
them?" St. Peter says "Oh them? They're the Baptists. They thought
they were going to have the place to themselves." :P

Theresa

Yowie March 27th 05 02:51 AM

"Helen Wheels" wrote in message
Jeanette wrote:

Karen wrote in message

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

That is appalling, truly and utterly appalling. If I was an American

student
I'd be applying for a European University right now. :(

Jeanette

Once I would have added "or an Australian one", but I'm afraid that all
the signs are that our current govt wishes to push our unis in the same
direction as the US ones.

I certainly agree that _some_ teachers don't always give differing
points of view the respect they might deserve, but this is a nutty way
to deal with it.

The better teachers I had in 'arts' type subjects gave students an automatic
10% bonus for writing an essay that took a different stance than one that
the teacher taught in class. However, it wasn't an easy 10% extra, you had
to do your own research independalty of what the teacher had given you, and
you had to argue *well* against hte teacher's reasoning.

You couldn't just say (for example) "I am not going to write on Y because I
don'tbelieve in it - I believe in X instead". If you were going to take the
X stance, you'd have to still do the required amount of words expanding on Y
according to the X belief.

And as I once tried to do,there's often a darn good reason why the teacher
is teaching the Z theory - because it holds up under logical reasoning far
better than the X belief. And I only discovered that about three quarters of
the way through a ten thousand word essay when I read it back to myself and
found that all my arguments led to the conclusion that was actually in
conflict with my long held belief.

How dare a teacher make a student actually think!

Yowie

Yowie March 27th 05 02:58 AM

"Enfilade" wrote in message
om...
Capitol bill aims to control Oleftist¹ profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

Hm, I wonder if Pagans and Wiccans would be allowed to sue for untolerated

beliefs?

Somehow I suspect...not.

I want to sue because I don't *believe* in tolerance :-)

Yowie

JBHajos March 27th 05 04:09 AM

On 26 Mar 2005 12:30:55 -0800, "Shiral" wrote:

As Anne Lammott says, "You know you've created God in your own image,
when it turns out He hates all the same people you do." =o)

Then, too, "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent
Him." And so we did.

Jeanne