CatBanter

-   -   Another Veterinary Appointment for Buffy (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=114345)

jmcquown[_2_] April 11th 21 07:46 PM

Another Veterinary Appointment for Buffy

Buffy's left eye has been teary over the four days or so. I noticed she
stopped eating her dry kibble, which she absolutely loves. She will
only eat the gooshy food but even then not enthusiastically. Then I
noticed her cheek under her left eye appears to be swollen. I think the
poor girl has a toothache! :(

The soonest appointment I could get is next Tuesday. I let my boss know
I'll be late to work because I have to drop her off first. (He's such a
great guy: "Of course, do whatever you need to do!")

The vet will contact me to let me know what's going on. Hopefully I'll
be able to pick her up when I get off work in the afternoon. I'd hate
for her to have to stay overnight. If they have to pull a tooth I do
hope they can provide liquid pain medicine and/or antibiotics to give
her. I'd hate to attempt to pill a cat with a sore mouth. Purrs for
Buffy would be appreciated.

Jill

cshenk[_4_] April 13th 21 02:48 AM

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Luko purrs at Buffy.

jmcquown[_2_] April 13th 21 10:40 PM

On 4/12/2021 9:48 PM, cshenk wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Buffy and I say thank you. :) My guesswork diagnosis was right on the
money. She has an abcess/infection under an upper molar. They gave her
a broad spectrum antibiotic shot and also a long-lasting (3 days) shot
for pain. They've scheduled her for a dental on Friday and they'll
likely wind up pulling that tooth.

I took her to the same veterinary hospital as usual but she was
scheduled with a different vet just to get her in quickly. (The place
is always busy.) The vet called me at work and said, "Well! It took us
a lonnng time to get Buffy settled down so we could take a look at her.
She was very agitated. Is she usually excitable?" Not at all. She's
a very laid-back cat!

She's not going to be at all happy when I drop her off again this coming
Friday. Hopefully by then the antibotic will have knocked out the
infection. Maybe she won't be feeling quite so argumentative.

Oh, and if they do have to pull that tooth they'll give her another
broad spectrum antibiotic shot and another pain shot so I won't have to
worry about trying to squirt liquid medicine in her sore mouth.

Jill

Tigger[_2_] April 15th 21 05:12 AM

Another Veterinary Appointment for Buffy

jmcquown wrote:

Buffy and I say thank you. :)Â* My guesswork diagnosis was right on the
money.Â* She has an abcess/infection under an upper molar.Â* They gave her a
broad spectrum antibiotic shot and also a long-lasting (3 days) shot for
pain.Â* They've scheduled her for a dental on Friday and they'll likely
wind up pulling that tooth.

Oh, and if they do have to pull that tooth they'll give her another broad
spectrum antibiotic shot and another pain shot so I won't have to worry
about trying to squirt liquid medicine in her sore mouth.

I had a little female who fairly suddenly withdrew and we noted she had
really foul breath. Yup, bad tooth. Vet visit first thing the next day. A
day or two of recovery to start perking
back up.

cshenk[_4_] April 16th 21 01:06 AM

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

There is also a liquid antibiotic that worked well on gushy food.
Daisy-chan used it at times as even the vets couldn't pill her.

jmcquown[_2_] April 16th 21 01:32 AM

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Yep, a liquid antibiotic and perhaps liquid pain med. I've never
actually had a cat who had a tooth pulled before but I know what it's
like as a human and it's not fun! I'll find out about the take-home
meds tomorrow. 7:45AM drop-off time. They'll call me when it's time to
come pick her up which will likely be mid-afternoon.

Buffy seems to know she's going back tomorrow. (Well, I do keep telling
her so.) Since I got home this afternoon, aside from snuggling in my
lap she keeps going to check out her carrier. (It's a cushy Sherpa bag
as opposed to a plastic crate with a metal door. She travels in style,
as did Persia before her!) Yep, you're going in that tomorrow morning,
Buffy. It will be okay. :)

Jill

cshenk[_4_] April 16th 21 01:36 AM

Tigger wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Buffy and I say thank you. :)Â* My guesswork diagnosis was right on
the money.Â* She has an abcess/infection under an upper molar.Â*
They gave her a broad spectrum antibiotic shot and also a
long-lasting (3 days) shot for pain.Â* They've scheduled her for a
dental on Friday and they'll likely wind up pulling that tooth.

Oh, and if they do have to pull that tooth they'll give her another
broad spectrum antibiotic shot and another pain shot so I won't
have to worry about trying to squirt liquid medicine in her sore
mouth.

I had a little female who fairly suddenly withdrew and we noted she
had really foul breath. Yup, bad tooth. Vet visit first thing the
next day. A day or two of recovery to start perking back up.

Aunti Mabel, beagle mix age 18 when we adopted her had never lived in a
house, never been house broken, and never seen a vet. Outdoor pen
raised hunter and breeder.

Lovely lady, house broke in 3 days mostly (rare accidents in kitchen
but only kitchen and half aimed for the cat litter). Dental as you can
imagine was pretty bad. They pulled 7 teeth. After that, she passed
all dentals fine (in fact, skipped one age 20 as not needed per vet).
She lived to be an estimated 20.5 which sounds long for a dog and is,
but not record breaking for beagles.

jmcquown[_2_] April 16th 21 01:54 AM

On 4/15/2021 12:12 AM, Tigger wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Buffy and I say thank you. :)Â* My guesswork diagnosis was right on the
money.Â* She has an abcess/infection under an upper molar.Â* They gave
her a broad spectrum antibiotic shot and also a long-lasting (3 days)
shot for pain.Â* They've scheduled her for a dental on Friday and
they'll likely wind up pulling that tooth.

Oh, and if they do have to pull that tooth they'll give her another
broad spectrum antibiotic shot and another pain shot so I won't have
to worry about trying to squirt liquid medicine in her sore mouth.

I had a little female who fairly suddenly withdrew and we noted she had
really foul breath. Yup, bad tooth. Vet visit first thing the next day.
A day or two of recovery to start perking
back up.

I fully expect Buffy to feel a bit punky for a few days after a tooth
extraction. They'll give her another antibiotic shot and a pain shot
and might send her home with liquid medication. I'll know tomorrow.

I don't expect her to be perky. Then again, after the vet visit on
Tuesday and the shots, they told me she'd probably want to nap. No, she
didn't. She wanted to play, play, play. :)

Jill

Tigger[_2_] April 16th 21 05:03 AM

cshenk wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

There is also a liquid antibiotic that worked well on gushy food.
Daisy-chan used it at times as even the vets couldn't pill her.

I've used an eyedropper, holding the cat much as for getting a pill down
(hold head from
behind, thumb and middle finger where the jaws hinge). A quick squirt and
done with
minimal blood loss (on my part).

Tigger[_2_] April 16th 21 05:04 AM

jmcquown wrote:
On 4/15/2021 12:12 AM, Tigger wrote:

I had a little female who fairly suddenly withdrew and we noted she had
really foul breath. Yup, bad tooth. Vet visit first thing the next day.
A day or two of recovery to start perking
back up.

I fully expect Buffy to feel a bit punky for a few days after a tooth
extraction.Â* They'll give her another antibiotic shot and a pain shot and
might send her home with liquid medication.Â* I'll know tomorrow.

I don't expect her to be perky.Â* Then again, after the vet visit on
Tuesday and the shots, they told me she'd probably want to nap.Â* No, she
didn't.Â* She wanted to play, play, play. :)

Yes, who ever heard of a cat wanting to nap!