CatBanter

-   -   Cat does not always use litter box, he goes on the carpet. (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=16660)

Brian March 15th 04 10:04 PM

Cat does not always use litter box, he goes on the carpet.

Cat does not always use litter box, he goes on the carpet.

I have been trying to fix a cat urination problem for quite a long
time. I'd like to replace the carpet in my living room, but I don't
want the cat to urinate on it. So, I'd like to fix the cat problem
first.

He is a 5 year old male cat. He is fixed and never sprays like some
people talk about.

I have two litter boxes for my cat, one is in the bathroom and the
other is next the dryer off of the kitchen. I empty them every few
days. He uses these litter boxes on a regular basis. However, he also
may go on the carpet or even at times defecate on it. And once he does
he tends to visit that spot more frequently until I treat it with an
enzyme product. There are two particular areas in the living room that
he likes to do this on, but these areas are not exclusive. He always
goes next the wall, never in the middle of the living room. He also
seems to prefer places that are behind pieces of furniture or in a
corner. This always happens down stairs, never upstairs. I've treated
these areas with several types of enzyme products (in particular:
Enzyme D by Big D Industries). It helps for a while, perhaps because
these spots are wet and don't smell good, but it happens again and I
start the process over again.

Also, recently I have removed the carpet and padding from one
particular problem area. I threw the padding away and I soaked the
carpet and sub floor with an enzyme product. Then I painted the sub
floor with an odor sealer called ‘Kills'. However, I caught him in the
act at this location the other day.

What can I do to train him to always use the litter box?
Any good books?
Any good web sites?

Please respond to this newsgroup.
Thanks,
Brian

Wendy March 15th 04 10:46 PM

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=158
http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/cleaning.htm

Hope these links help.

You might also want to try cat attract kitty litter. It's specifically made
to help deal with this kind of problem.

m. L. Briggs March 16th 04 01:53 AM

On 15 Mar 2004 13:04:31 -0800, (Brian) wrote:

[...]

Do you use scoopable litter? I do and I scoop several times a day.
Perhaps if you did it more often the cat would be more inclined to use
it regularly.

Mary March 16th 04 02:20 AM

"m. L. Briggs" wrote in message

Do you use scoopable litter? I do and I scoop several times a day.
Perhaps if you did it more often the cat would be more inclined to

use
it regularly.

I have to say that a dirty box (in the cat's opinion, which is the one
that
really matters if you don't want poo and pee on your floors) is
usually
the reason cats eliminate outside of their boxes. All I have ever had
to do is keep the box cleaner. Sure, they get UTIs, but sometimes they
just don't want to enter a dirty box.

[email protected] March 16th 04 03:54 AM

What can I do to train him to always use
the litter box?

You said you empty the box every few days. That is likely the reason
your cat will not use it and pees elsewhere. Would you step barefoot
into a 15" x 20" that had 3 or 4 days worth of urine and feces in it? Of
course not and you shouldn't expect your cat to either.You should use a
clumping litter and scoop the box twice a day, removing all urine and
feces and wash the box and change the litter completely every few weeks
*before* the litter starts to smell. Cats are fastidious creatures and
do NOT like a dirty litterbox. Yours appears to be extra picky and you
need to make sure your cat has an extra clean box. Scooping twice a day
is simple to add to your daily routine and will require no more than one
or two minutes of effort each day.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

IBen Getiner March 16th 04 11:35 AM

(Brian) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Look ... You need to face the cold hard truth: You probably need to
get rid of the cat. He obviously isn't ever going to be totally
housebroken.
Go ahead ... you can do it. You haven't been feminized by society
yet, have you? Well, good then..! Get rid of him and just get another
one. They're a dime a dozen. They'll be cheaper still when declawing
is outlawed.

IBen G.