CatBanter

-   -   hair matting (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=18805)

Bolo July 18th 04 11:45 PM

hair matting

We have a year old female maine coon (Xena) and her fur gets big mats under
her legs,we comb her out everyday,is there anything else we can do to reduce
the matting?

---

jamie July 19th 04 06:04 AM

Bolo wrote:
We have a year old female maine coon (Xena) and her fur gets big mats under
her legs,we comb her out everyday,is there anything else we can do to reduce
the matting?

My Maine coon is 17, and won't stand for more than a few strokes
of grooming with any kind of cat brush or comb or shedding blade,
unless I nearly sit on him.

Some diets in the past seemed to make his hair more frizzy and prone
to matting than others, especially when I'd tried the Light and Senior
versions (which also caused awful dander).

I have a groomer who is good with cats trim his lower belly between the
legs and his butt area very short. She calls it a "sanitary clip."
I also have her shorten the long hair on the back of the thighs
somewhat, because he sometimes tangles there.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

soft July 19th 04 07:34 PM

I have been wondering about using a no more tangles spray? Would it be
ok if it is gentle enough for a human baby? Or is there a product made
for cats that sprays on and tangles come right out?

So far I have not had problems with Lancelot (Mane Coon). He does
tangle a bit under his belly by his hind legs. IHowever I do comb him
daily and thank goodness he is one who loves to be groomed near nap or
bed time. So I find I comb him at least 1 time a day and more when I
am home. He purrs so loud, almost like I am mommy giving him his bath.

My other cats all think it is some kind of torture and they bite the
brush or comb. They growl until I am finished and then take the treat
I offer in a mad dash to get. Then they sit a few feat from me and
give me that look. The one that lets me know they did not find 1 treat
enough of a trade for that terrible thing I just did to them.

Karryl
http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/soft63389/index.htm