CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cat Pregnancy Questions? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=82048)

Skye August 14th 07 03:32 PM

Cat Pregnancy Questions?

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can answer these questions!

These are two different cats:

1. Generally speaking, how old can a queen be and still be going into
heat and producing offspring? In other words, please God, is there
such a thing as feline menopause??? :-/

2. I've got another younger cat, first time queen, shows all the
symptoms of pregnancy - more than a month along. However, every
few days, she's spotting blood from the vulva. Not much though, and
otherwise she acts fine. Is this normal, or should I be contacting
the
vet?

I'd so appreciate some answers!

Skye

cindys August 14th 07 03:43 PM

Cat Pregnancy Questions?

"Skye" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can answer these questions!

These are two different cats:

1. Generally speaking, how old can a queen be and still be going into
heat and producing offspring? In other words, please God, is there
such a thing as feline menopause??? :-/

Yes. It's called a "spay."

2. I've got another younger cat, first time queen, shows all the
symptoms of pregnancy - more than a month along. However, every
few days, she's spotting blood from the vulva. Not much though, and
otherwise she acts fine. Is this normal, or should I be contacting
the
vet?

You should be contacting the vet about having her spayed. Why are you
allowing your cats to breed?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Sheelagh >o August 14th 07 05:26 PM

Cat Pregnancy Questions?

On 14 Aug, 15:32, Skye wrote:
[...]

I used to breed, & the eldest queen that I knew about was 8 years old.
Generally a breeder would be wise enough to retire their Queen by 5
years old though. To ask a Queen to breed beyond that age, would be to
entertain trouble & strife, & unfair on the cat. If you can see that
her teats are enlarged & pink, then I suggest that you get yourself &
your cat to the vet asap. Unlike USA, over in the UK (where I am
posting from), We have to find a vet who would ethically be willing to
spay the Queen & abort her kittens. Nonetheless, find a vet to fit her
into their surgery ASAP & have her spayed to ensure that this never
happens again....

I am sorry, but I can't answer your question regarding feline
menopause, because I always spayed my Queens before 5 years of age.
However, It's Possible that another person here might be able to
answer that for you.

2. I've got another younger cat, first time queen, shows all the
symptoms of pregnancy - more than a month along. However, every
few days, she's spotting blood from the vulva. Not much though, and
otherwise she acts fine. Is this normal, or should I be contacting
the
vet?

YES!!

Ring your vet right now & ask if they can squeeze her into their
schedule, PLEASE? No, it is not normal at all!

I know that you really aren't going to want to hear this, but it needs
to be said. If she is a first time queen, & she is spotting, it
doesn't bode well for future pregnancies. If you are a breeder, I
realise that you are going to continue to try mating her @ least once
more time, to see if you can recoup your money for your Queen.

If this is the case, & this happens again, I really would recommend
that you spay her ASAP, & either keep her as a pet, or sell her.
PLEASE, ensure that you spay her if she is a registered Queen, & do
not sell her as a registered Queen. I say this because there are
unscrupulous breeders that would do this, if only to get their money
back, but it would be quite possibly at the expense of her life.
Please, do think carefully about this one. My advice is to spay both
her & your older Queen.
If you feel that you can't do both, then have your elder Queen first,
& fast too?!

Sheelagh "o"

Skye August 14th 07 07:49 PM

Cat Pregnancy Questions?

On Aug 14, 9:43 am, "cindys" wrote:
"Skye" wrote:

1. Generally speaking, how old can a queen be and still be going into
heat and producing offspring? In other words, please God, is there
such a thing as feline menopause??? :-/

Yes. It's called a "spay."

I'm glad your life is so well-ordered and nothing ever gets out of
your control once
in a while. However, please realize that's not the case with everyone
in the world, mkay?

The older cat is a feral cat who I've been feeding for the last two
years, but has
hung around this neighborhood for at least 10. I've somehow grown
attached,
even though she is wild. She will not come to me nor allow me to so
much as touch her. You tell me how to get her to the vet, Cindy S.,
ok?

Last summer, some of the neighbors tried to get rid of her. They did
manage to
catch her kittens and most of them were put to sleep. This summer,
we've managed
to get the kittens before they were found, but we had to pull off
commando-type
raids under cat-hating neighbors porches to do it.

She seems to be safe and stays under the radar all the rest of the
year.

I simply wondered how many more summers I could look forward to
worrying about
this. Or do you just think I should stop feeding her? I mean, what
gives with your
attitude???

2. I've got another younger cat, first time queen, shows all the
symptoms of pregnancy - more than a month along. However, every
few days, she's spotting blood from the vulva. Not much though, and
otherwise she acts fine. Is this normal, or should I be contacting
the
vet?

You should be contacting the vet about having her spayed. Why are you
allowing your cats to breed?

This cat is my indoor, well-cared-for, beautiful, loved cat. Yes, I
wanted her to
have kittens. OMG! I'm guilty! Shoot me, but not the cat!
Seriously, I'm not sure
since 9/11/2001, but I THINK America is still free enough that if you
want your
cat to breed, you are allowed to do so. Unless there's some law I'm
not aware
of (under Homeland Security, maybe?). I don't even think you have to
ask
permission from, well, ANYBODY. Lol.

Well, thank you for your, um, help and info, Cindy S. I can assure
you, the
world is a much safer and better place. You can sleep well tonight.

Skye

William Graham August 14th 07 07:59 PM

Cat Pregnancy Questions?

"Skye" wrote in message
s.com...

On Aug 14, 9:43 am, "cindys" wrote:
"Skye" wrote:

[...]

You can set humane traps that will trap the feral cat when she comes to eat.
Then you can bring her to the vet where they will tranquilizer her and spay
her. Then you can bring her back and let her go, and she won't have any more
kittens....Also, she is likely to stick around your place (or wherever the
food is best) and become domesticated.......

Contact your local cat coalition or the vet to find out about this.......

Skye August 14th 07 08:01 PM

Cat Pregnancy Questions?

On Aug 14, 11:26 am, "Sheelagh o"
wrote:
On 14 Aug, 15:32, Skye wrote:

I used to breed, & the eldest queen that I knew about was 8 years old.
Generally a breeder would be wise enough to retire their Queen by 5
years old though. To ask a Queen to breed beyond that age, would be to
entertain trouble & strife, & unfair on the cat. If you can see that
her teats are enlarged & pink, then I suggest that you get yourself &
your cat to the vet asap. Unlike USA, over in the UK (where I am
posting from), We have to find a vet who would ethically be willing to
spay the Queen & abort her kittens. Nonetheless, find a vet to fit her
into their surgery ASAP & have her spayed to ensure that this never
happens again....

Thanks for your kind response. Please see my reply to Cindy S. about
the older cat
..

2. I've got another younger cat, first time queen, shows all the
symptoms of pregnancy - more than a month along. However, every
few days, she's spotting blood from the vulva. Not much though, and
otherwise she acts fine. Is this normal, or should I be contacting
the
vet?

YES!!

Ring your vet right now & ask if they can squeeze her into their
schedule, PLEASE? No, it is not normal at all!

I know that you really aren't going to want to hear this, but it needs
to be said. If she is a first time queen, & she is spotting, it
doesn't bode well for future pregnancies. If you are a breeder, I
realise that you are going to continue to try mating her @ least once
more time, to see if you can recoup your money for your Queen.

Thank you, Sheelagh, that's the main thing I wanted to know.

Skye

cindys August 14th 07 09:08 PM

Cat Pregnancy Questions?

"Skye" wrote in message
s.com...
This cat is my indoor, well-cared-for, beautiful, loved cat. Yes, I
wanted her to
have kittens. OMG! I'm guilty! Shoot me, but not the cat!
Seriously, I'm not sure
since 9/11/2001, but I THINK America is still free enough that if you
want your
cat to breed, you are allowed to do so.

--------
Yes, you're allowed. And please sleep well tonight with the knowledge that
thousands of cats are being euthanized in shelters every year for lack of
homes and every one of your kittens that you place in a home represents a
shelter cat who will not have a home and will be euthanized. But please
don't let that minor inconvenience stand in the way of your fulfilling your
selfish desire to let your cat breed. And rest assured, that you will find
very little support for your position on the rec.pets.cats.health+behavior
newsgroup. But you are correct that in America, the "me, me, me" approach to
life is alive and well. Selfishness and self-centeredness are certainly not
against the law.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

William Graham August 14th 07 09:13 PM

Cat Pregnancy Questions?

"cindys" wrote in message

"Skye" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Errrrrr......I don't want to start a flame war here, but you might just put
a teensy weensy bit of the blame on God, don't you think? - After all,
literally millions of cute furry little animals die of starvation, thirst
and the cold every year, and there isn't a damn thing any of us can do about
it........I often wonder how well He sleeps at night......

Rene S. August 14th 07 09:38 PM

Cat Pregnancy Questions?

You can set humane traps that will trap the feral cat when she comes to eat.
Then you can bring her to the vet where they will tranquilizer her and spay
her. Then you can bring her back and let her go, and she won't have any more
kittens....Also, she is likely to stick around your place (or wherever the
food is best) and become domesticated.......

Contact your local cat coalition or the vet to find out about this.......

Since she is a feral, you could also call your local animal shelter to
see if they will offer assistance. Some have TNR (trap, neuter,
release) programs or offer low-cost spays. Many will also loan you a
humane trap.

Unfortunately, by asking these questions you have stumbled onto one of
the hot topics on this forum. Almost all of us regulars here
_strongly_ believe in spaying and neutering, both for the prevention
of unwanted/unneeded litters but also for the overall health and well
being of the animal. Spaying will prevent certain types of cancers and
eliminate many unwanted behaviors (coming into heat, caterwauling,
spraying). With the millions of animals that are euthanized each year,
it's hard *not* to be an advocate of spaying.

cindys August 14th 07 10:18 PM

Cat Pregnancy Questions?

"William Graham" wrote in message

snip

Errrrrr......I don't want to start a flame war here, but you might just
put a teensy weensy bit of the blame on God, don't you think? - After all,
literally millions of cute furry little animals die of starvation, thirst
and the cold every year, and there isn't a damn thing any of us can do
about it........I often wonder how well He sleeps at night......

--------
No one can fix the world, but we can do our best to not make things worse.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.