CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How much space for a cat? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=21110)

Tristan Miller February 2nd 04 07:03 PM

How much space for a cat?

Greetings.

I am considering getting a kitten to keep my little ferret company while I'm
at work. From what I read, cats and ferrets usually get along just fine
provided that they're introduced at an early age. My only concern is that
my apartment might be too small. I have only one largeish room with a
small kitchen and bathroom -- the total area is 40 m². Will a small cat be
happy with this or do I need to think about getting a bigger place? I
intend to keep the pet as an indoor cat only. (Of course, I don't mind
taking it for walks every day should it be one of those rare individuals
who take to walking with leashes.)

Also, how much attention will I need to give the cat? I play with my ferret
for at least a couple hours a day (any less and she sometimes keeps me up
at night), so I'm hoping I can combine playtime.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
_V.-o Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)] Space is limited

Bob Brenchley. February 2nd 04 07:30 PM

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:03:45 +0100, Tristan Miller
wrote:

[...]

Cats do not make suitable apartment pets. Then need access to the
outside world.

And cats dictate the level of attention, not their human slaves :)

--
Bob.

When the cat's away there are fewer hairs on the armchair.

Ted Davis February 2nd 04 09:36 PM

wrote:

Greetings.

I am considering getting a kitten to keep my little ferret company while I'm
at work. From what I read, cats and ferrets usually get along just fine
provided that they're introduced at an early age. My only concern is that
my apartment might be too small. I have only one largeish room with a
small kitchen and bathroom -- the total area is 40 m². Will a small cat be
happy with this or do I need to think about getting a bigger place? I
intend to keep the pet as an indoor cat only. (Of course, I don't mind
taking it for walks every day should it be one of those rare individuals
who take to walking with leashes.)

Also, how much attention will I need to give the cat? I play with my ferret
for at least a couple hours a day (any less and she sometimes keeps me up
at night), so I'm hoping I can combine playtime.

On average, if you believe anything BB tells you, you will go wrong -
ignore him as most of the rest of us do.

Cats will generally adapt to whatever space they have, but the less
space, the more effort required to make sure they get enough exercise.
Indoor cats also benefit from being given coarse grasses to nibble on
- wheat, oats, or even popcorn sprouts. You will also need climbing
and clawing things.

I've seen as many as fifteen cats in about the same area as you have,
but the place stank. The cats were happy enough.

I have about a dozen in little over twice that space, but they know
they can go out any time they want, they just mostly don't want to in
cold and wet weather.

T.E.D. )

Bob Brenchley. February 3rd 04 04:01 PM

wrote:

[...]

Stupid Troll!

Cats will generally adapt to whatever space they have, but the less
space, the more effort required to make sure they get enough exercise.
Indoor cats also benefit from being given coarse grasses to nibble on
- wheat, oats, or even popcorn sprouts. You will also need climbing
and clawing things.

I've seen as many as fifteen cats in about the same area as you have,
but the place stank. The cats were happy enough.

I have about a dozen in little over twice that space, but they know
they can go out any time they want, they just mostly don't want to in
cold and wet weather.

If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

T.E.D. )

Bob.

You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full
of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the
clue mating dance.

Tristan Miller February 3rd 04 05:32 PM

Greetings.

In article , Bob Brenchley.
wrote:
If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

My grandparents' cat is indoor only, and to me it doesn't seem any more or
less happy than any outdoor cat I've come across. I know for a fact it's
more physically healthy than many outdoor cats I know, since it has no
opportunity to be mauled by a stranger.

Anyway, as I said, I fully intend to take the cat for walks every day
provided it's willing and can learn to walk with a leash.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_

Gee February 5th 04 03:18 AM

"Tristan Miller" wrote in message

My grandparents' cat is indoor only, and to me it doesn't seem any more or
less happy than any outdoor cat I've come across. I know for a fact it's
more physically healthy than many outdoor cats I know, since it has no
opportunity to be mauled by a stranger.

Or by car/poison/fox/dog/desease/.

Here is a lot of info about Indoor cats and why do it indoor way, excellent
site: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...2/indoors.html

I learned far too late and in the worse possible way that cats should be
kept indoors, and only after my beloved QT got run over. My other 4 are now
living a very happy indoor life and like yours will, go out only on a safe
leash and cat harness. And even though I let them stay outside as long as
they want, they usually want back in only 15 min to 1/2 hr on nicer days.
They definitly prefer things I have done for them inside, like a tall cat
tree, cat bedroom on top of the cupboard, cat stairs on the walls, another
bad on another cupboard, delicious food, lots of toys and attention, and
above all my love.

Living in a flat is absolutely fine for a cat or two or three or four. Think
up not just sideways :) Cats would live on the ceiling if they could. Check
out this: http://www.thecatshouse.com/ about an amazing couple who love
their 9 cats so much they have redecorated the house to suit the cats. It is
so amazing what they;ve done that their book about it is regularely sold
out. Check it here, there are some pic of the house as well
http://www.thecatshouse.com/books/bk_01.htm or on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Anyway, as I said, I fully intend to take the cat for walks every day
provided it's willing and can learn to walk with a leash.

Came across this, about training the cat to walk on leash:
http://cats.about.com/library/howto/htwalkleash.htm

Gee

Bob Brenchley. February 5th 04 03:17 PM

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 03:18:01 -0000, "Gee" wrote:

"Tristan Miller" wrote in message

My grandparents' cat is indoor only, and to me it doesn't seem any more or
less happy than any outdoor cat I've come across. I know for a fact it's
more physically healthy than many outdoor cats I know, since it has no
opportunity to be mauled by a stranger.

Or by car/poison/fox/dog/desease/.

Foxes have never been known to harm a healthy cat.

Jacqueline February 5th 04 08:34 PM

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:17:04 +0000, Bob Brenchley.
wrote:
If you live in an area where, for whatever reason, you feel unable to
allow a healthy cat its freedom to roam for at least some time each
day (and only you can judge your area) then don't have a cat. To have
a healthy cat, knowing you will keep it in 24/7 marks you are being
cruel, selfish, or both.

Just subscribed to this group, you're like a stuck record, aren't ye?
Find it quite bizarre that you would spend so much of your time trying
to antagonise people.

Of course cats should be free to roam, - so should
dogs/budgies/hamsters/people - but there are very few places where
that is possible. We have made society that way. So if you take the
decision to home a cat you also take with it the responsibility of
making sure its needs are met - and that means ensuring it is safe and
well looked after. To call people abusers for keeping cats indoors in
a stable environment is just preposterous.

Jacqueline
(UK)

Bob Brenchley. February 5th 04 10:56 PM

wrote:
[...]

When you take on the responsibility of homing any pet, one of the
important aspects is providing a proper environment for it. Cats need
space to roam, that is part of their nature. Dogs can't be given that
for human safety reasons. Hamsters are not native to the UK, but need
proper housing. People, unless imprisoned for a crime, do have a large
degree of freedom.

Jacqueline
(UK)

--
Bob.

Cats know what we feel. They don't always care, but they know.

Gee February 6th 04 12:55 AM

"Bob Brenchley." wrote in message

Foxes have never been known to harm a healthy cat.

Actually, not true. And if you don't believe me (which you will not, because
you always know everything the best, and instead will call me names he he,
which I will not see because I am about to killfile you again like I have in
other newsgroups,) check with RSPCA. They are the ones who confirmed to me
that they do get cats attacked by foxes in. So even though cats may not be
fox's first preference, if they are hungry enough they'll go for it.

Gee

Jacqueline February 6th 04 12:20 PM

wrote:

Of course cats should be free to roam, - so should
dogs/budgies/hamsters/people - but there are very few places where
that is possible. We have made society that way. So if you take the
decision to home a cat you also take with it the responsibility of
making sure its needs are met - and that means ensuring it is safe and
well looked after. To call people abusers for keeping cats indoors in
a stable environment is just preposterous.

When you take on the responsibility of homing any pet, one of the
important aspects is providing a proper environment for it. Cats need
space to roam, that is part of their nature.

It's part of every animal's 'nature' to roam, establish territory and
find food but we've moved on slightly from the laws of the jungle.
Cats have been domesticated and as such are provided with food,
shelter and territory. They adapt to their environment, just like we
adapt to the structures imposed on us.

Dogs can't be given that for human safety reasons.

Foxes are essentially canine but they have 'freedom to roam' and don't
attack humans. You only think it's normal for dogs to be walked around
on leads because that's your experience.

Hamsters are not native to the UK,

Nor are cats, they were introduced by the Romans.

but need proper housing.

In a cage? Why can't they be let out to roam? Because they might get
eaten or killed? Ah, but it's their nature to forage for food!

People, unless imprisoned for a crime, do have a large
degree of freedom.

We don't have freedom to do as we please. You can't wander onto
someone's land and claim it as your own. You can't go around killing
people and eating them just 'cos you're hungry. We impose rules for
the sake of our civilisation - and that includes allowing animals in
our care to have a healthy, fulfilled, good life. It's your opinion
that cats need access to fields and roads to have that, but many
millions with happy indoor cat owners would disagree, so you can't
claim your opinion is any more valid than theirs.

Cat Protector February 7th 04 02:56 AM

Looks like more bad advice from Bob Brenchley. Cats are just fine for
apartments. Bob do us all a favor and leave the newsgroup and leave it to
experienced cat people.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Cat Protector February 7th 04 02:59 AM

Cats are just fine for a one or two bedroom apartment so you should be ok
there. As for attention to the cat, give him/her the same amount of
attention as you would the ferret.

Cat Protector February 7th 04 03:07 AM

Well if you are intending on becoming a cat person you might want to refrain
from using the word "it" to describe your cat. Anyway, if you want to take
your cat out on a leash, I recommend getting the cat used to a harness at an
early age. The first thing to do is to put the harness on (without the
leash) and allow the cat to walk around in it for a few minutes every day.
Then when the cat is used to the harness attach the leash (I use a
retractable so the cat can feel a bit more freedom without having to stay
close to my heals) and walk him/her around for a few days to have the cat
get used to it. Then it should be safe for you and feline to explore the
outdoors together.

Since the cat is going to be mostly indoors, make sure he/she has plenty of
toys and things to climb on. Also, a clean litter box, scratching post, and
plenty of food and clean water is available for your feline. Since you
haven't had the cat yet, I'd consider going to the shelter and allow the cat
to choose you.

Bob Brenchley. February 7th 04 10:59 AM

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:56:47 -0700, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

Looks like more bad advice from Bob Brenchley. Cats are just fine for
apartments. Bob do us all a favor and leave the newsgroup and leave it to
experienced cat people.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

.. .
wrote:

Cats do not make suitable apartment pets. Then need access to the
outside world.

And cats dictate the level of attention, not their human slaves :)

--
Bob.

When the cat's away there are fewer hairs on the armchair.

This from a top-posting moron!

--
Bob.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why you appear bright until
we hear you talk.

Bob Brenchley. February 7th 04 11:06 AM

wrote:

When you take on the responsibility of homing any pet, one of the
important aspects is providing a proper environment for it. Cats need
space to roam, that is part of their nature.

It's part of every animal's 'nature' to roam, establish territory and

It is, and where the animal's "nature" does not endanger humans (as it
would with a free roaming pack animal like the dog) then we have to do
our level best to provide the animal with what it needs.

find food but we've moved on slightly from the laws of the jungle.
Cats have been domesticated and as such are provided with food,
shelter and territory. They adapt to their environment, just like we
adapt to the structures imposed on us.

Dogs can't be given that for human safety reasons.

Foxes are essentially canine but they have 'freedom to roam' and don't
attack humans.

Foxes are wild animals, in addition they are not generally pack
animals.

You only think it's normal for dogs to be walked around
on leads because that's your experience.

Hamsters are not native to the UK,

Nor are cats, they were introduced by the Romans.

Reintroduced.

but need proper housing.

In a cage?

Certainly not.

Why can't they be let out to roam? Because they might get
eaten or killed? Ah, but it's their nature to forage for food!

People, unless imprisoned for a crime, do have a large
degree of freedom.

We don't have freedom to do as we please. You can't wander onto
someone's land and claim it as your own. You can't go around killing
people and eating them just 'cos you're hungry. We impose rules for
the sake of our civilisation - and that includes allowing animals in
our care to have a healthy, fulfilled, good life.

Which cats get if they are treated correctly - as an indoor/outdoor
animal.

It's your opinion
that cats need access to fields and roads to have that, but many
millions with happy indoor cat owners would disagree,

Oh I know there are many ignorant people out there, and many who do
know that they are abusing their cats by keeping them in.

so you can't
claim your opinion is any more valid than theirs.

Yes I can. Because my opinions are based on the opinions of experts
like the RSPCA, Cats Protection, well respected experts in cats, our
leading zoos, and the experiences of millions of cat owners around the
world.

The cat is the same - regardless of the country it lives in. The
overwhelming majority of cats around the world get to lead proper
lives with time outside. Why should American cats be any different?

--
Bob.

You have not been charged for this lesson. Please pass it to all your
friends so they may learn as well.

Bob Brenchley. February 7th 04 11:14 AM

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:55:02 -0000, "Gee" wrote:

"Bob Brenchley." wrote in message

Foxes have never been known to harm a healthy cat.

Actually, not true.

Oh dear - Harpic Gee strikes again with another of her bare-faced
lies.

And if you don't believe me (which you will not, because
you always know everything the best, and instead will call me names he he,
which I will not see because I am about to killfile you again like I have in
other newsgroups,) check with RSPCA. They are the ones who confirmed to me
that they do get cats attacked by foxes in. So even though cats may not be
fox's first preference, if they are hungry enough they'll go for it.

Just so the dim witted cat hating Gee understands - there has never
been a documented case of a fox killing a healthy cat. Not one. Zero.
A number even smaller that the limited number of brain cells Harpic
Gee has (and that is really saying something.

Jus think about that Gee - not one single cat killed by a fox.

Gee

And do you know how I know that? For years I've fought with the anti
fox hunting movement, and we have seen just about every justification
you can imagine put forward by the murdering fatherless sons as an
excuse for the barbaric "sport". But not once have they even dared to
suggest that there has ever been a case of a fox harming a cat. They
did produce one sheet about 15 years ago that claimed three babies had
been attacked in proceeding years, but that evidence proved worthless.
They claim attacks of domestic dogs, humans and of course farm animals
- but cats? Not once.

Jacqueline February 7th 04 12:24 PM

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:06:37 +0000, Bob Brenchley.
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:20:43 +0000, Jacqueline
wrote:

[snip]

[hamsters]
but need proper housing.

In a cage?

Certainly not.

So you lambast hamster-keepers then? I bet you're a popular guy with
the kids.

We don't have freedom to do as we please. You can't wander onto
someone's land and claim it as your own. You can't go around killing
people and eating them just 'cos you're hungry. We impose rules for
the sake of our civilisation - and that includes allowing animals in
our care to have a healthy, fulfilled, good life.

Which cats get if they are treated correctly - as an indoor/outdoor
animal.

Which cats get if they are treated correctly in a safe indoor
environment.

It's your opinion
that cats need access to fields and roads to have that, but many
millions with happy indoor cat owners would disagree,

Oh I know there are many ignorant people out there, and many who do
know that they are abusing their cats by keeping them in.

I suggest you are the blinkered one.

so you can't
claim your opinion is any more valid than theirs.

Yes I can. Because my opinions are based on the opinions of experts
like the RSPCA, Cats Protection,

I'm a member of Cats Protection and we certainly home cats to indoor
environments and provide potential owners with how to care for them.
Take a look at this month's magazine, there's an article on just that.

well respected experts in cats, our
leading zoos, and the experiences of millions of cat owners around the
world.

The cat is the same - regardless of the country it lives in. The
overwhelming majority of cats around the world get to lead proper
lives with time outside. Why should American cats be any different?

Blinkered, blinkered. I used to think like you, I thought it was
'normal' for cats to be let out because that's what I was brought up
to believe. But the overwhelming evidence against such a preposterous
idea shifted my opinion. Incidentally, while I let my cats roam free -
in an area I considered safe as I'm quite a distance from a main road
- I had cats shot at, one kicked until it had a dislocated hip, they
constantly came in with fleas and mites, and lumps of fur missing from
fights with other animals. I don't think that's an acceptable or safe
environment.

You come across as being someone quite old with very static opinions,
so I guess if you've thought like you do for 40 years you're unlikely
to change now. Shame.

Ted Davis February 7th 04 05:20 PM

Ignore him. Killfile him. But don't cater to him by responding.

Based on my examination of his messages, I find that I cannot
distinguish between those from him and those that would be generated
by a badly written usnet troll robot program. That is, the sender of
those messages fail the Turing test for intelligence in that while it
can be distinguished from a normal human, it cannot be distinguished
from a machine.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

Bob Brenchley. February 7th 04 10:34 PM

wrote:

[snip]

[hamsters]
but need proper housing.

In a cage?

Certainly not.

So you lambast hamster-keepers then? I bet you're a popular guy with
the kids.

Keeping hamsters in a cage is cruel. There are proper ways to keep
them, though most people do not have the necessary room.

We don't have freedom to do as we please. You can't wander onto
someone's land and claim it as your own. You can't go around killing
people and eating them just 'cos you're hungry. We impose rules for
the sake of our civilisation - and that includes allowing animals in
our care to have a healthy, fulfilled, good life.

Which cats get if they are treated correctly - as an indoor/outdoor
animal.

Which cats get if they are treated correctly in a safe indoor
environment.

What cats get if they are unlucky enough to have an abusive owner is
24/7 imprisonment indoors.

It's your opinion
that cats need access to fields and roads to have that, but many
millions with happy indoor cat owners would disagree,

Oh I know there are many ignorant people out there, and many who do
know that they are abusing their cats by keeping them in.

I suggest you are the blinkered one.

No, remember I'm one of the majority - a vast majority.

Even in the USA indoor only cats are in a minority - though there are
still far too many of them.

so you can't
claim your opinion is any more valid than theirs.

Yes I can. Because my opinions are based on the opinions of experts
like the RSPCA, Cats Protection,

I'm a member of Cats Protection and we certainly home cats to indoor
environments and provide potential owners with how to care for them.
Take a look at this month's magazine, there's an article on just that.

Cats Protection do not home healthy cats to indoor only homes - so
don't try that lie again.

[...]

The FACT is that none of the UK's major shelters, nor most of the
smaller ones that for various reasons affiliate with the big boys,
will normally rehome a healthy cat to an indoor only environment. This
has been confirmed on numerous occasions by people who work at the
grass roots level - actually finding homes for cats.

--
Bob.

I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in
public.