CatBanter

-   -   Is it ok to feed my cat olive oil? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=88995)

Joelberg June 2nd 08 11:48 PM

Is it ok to feed my cat olive oil?

Sometimes I put tuna juice on my cat's dry food and he eats it up
faster than normally. However, I don't always eat tunafish and that
means I don't always have tuna juice available. Is it safe for my cat
(or any, for that matter) to be fed olive oil or is this dangerous?
What other oils are good to feed cats with?

Thanks

Bobblespin June 3rd 08 12:43 AM

Is it ok to feed my cat olive oil?

Joelberg wrote in news:2205fe47-44f9-448a-9745-
:

Sometimes I put tuna juice on my cat's dry food and he eats it up
faster than normally. However, I don't always eat tunafish and that
means I don't always have tuna juice available. Is it safe for my cat
(or any, for that matter) to be fed olive oil or is this dangerous?
What other oils are good to feed cats with?

Thanks

I don't know about olive oil, but I'm concerned about your tuna juice. If
it's canned tuna for humans you are referring to, there is a problem with
the amount of salt in our food not being good for cats. It might be wise to
check with your vet. If it's juice from cooking the fish itself and it's
cooked without salt, by all means continue to treat kitty with the juice.

cshenk June 3rd 08 04:32 PM

Is it ok to feed my cat olive oil?

"Joelberg" wrote

Sometimes I put tuna juice on my cat's dry food and he eats it up
faster than normally. However, I don't always eat tunafish and that
means I don't always have tuna juice available. Is it safe for my cat
(or any, for that matter) to be fed olive oil or is this dangerous?
What other oils are good to feed cats with?

Olive oil is fine. It's recommended by my vet. Other oils also are useful,
leftover from your own cooking but warning, cats are not as salt tolerant as
people. That means if you salt your chicken or dryrub it then rotissery,
that 'oil' is not good. If however you bake a plain stuffed chicken with
use of only unsalted butter for basting, it will be just fine.

Also, if you use low/no-sodium added bacon, that will also work. My husband
has to be on a reduced sodium diet so my cookery leads easily to fats for
use for my pets. They do not need much and I vary them around. I do not
have problems with furballs at all with my medium-long haired furball of a
kitty G.

I know many people use petromalt and 'furball remedies' for this like it,
but my vet says adding fats or oils (again, salt free or near it) is much
better for her.

Often I do want to use a dryrub and such with a chicken, so I pull out the
innerfat and render it gently separately for the pets. I do the same with
our every-6 week duck habit g. It doesnt take long and a little goes a
long way for them.

Since we do have a variety of 'fats' going on here, the vet said best to
vary them so olive oil is just once every 3-4 days. He says my cat is doing
great and to keep it up this way. About 2 ts a day roughly. Nature's way
of giving my pets a glossy healthy coat.

cshenk June 3rd 08 04:39 PM

Is it ok to feed my cat olive oil?

"bobblespin" wrote

I don't know about olive oil, but I'm concerned about your tuna juice. If
it's canned tuna for humans you are referring to, there is a problem with
the amount of salt in our food not being good for cats. It might be wise

Correct and he should check to see if it has salt added. Some do as part of
the preservative process in canning.

check with your vet. If it's juice from cooking the fish itself and it's
cooked without salt, by all means continue to treat kitty with the juice.

Absolutely!

I've heard you can use most standard 'lite' cooking oils but have never
tried other than olive as that's what I keep in my kitchen. LOL, sorry but
we are a mix and match of medical issues here, me with high cholestrol, Don
with sodium restrictions. As a result Don and I make many of our foods from
scratch. Easy to come up with nibblits for the pets (2, rescue dog and
rescue cat).

Found out Daisy-cat is very fond of small slivers of cooked pork loin. We
made an extra last time but Don had to go out so it sat in the fridge and
got a little dried. We are slivering it up for them for treats. I dip her's
in porkfat rendered last time I made a pork shoulder.