CatBanter

-   -   cat vomitting (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=76115)

nldiggs99 November 18th 06 08:53 PM

cat vomitting

My cat has not ate for a few days, drinks water but then throws up. My vet
said to bring him in on monday. He did this same thing back in June and they
did blood tests, xrays everything and found nothing wrong. Well, today after
I got off the phone with my vets office he vomitted again but this time it
wasn't clear it was dark green almost black and smelled just like diarrea.
Anyone have any ideas what this could be? He's only 2 years old.

ChristyLynn November 18th 06 11:01 PM

cat vomitting

yeah, if you wait until Monday you might now have to bother with the vet
appointment.

Rhonda November 19th 06 05:01 AM

cat vomitting

That does not sound good at all, I would not wait until Monday. Is there
an emergency vet you can take him? I'd get him in immediately.

Since the first vet didn't find anything, it would be good to get a
second opinion anyway. It looks like time is not on your side right now
though, besides the new symptom -- cats cannot go longer than a day or
two without eating before they start to develop fatty liver disease.

Let us know what happens,

Rhonda

Phil P. November 19th 06 04:30 PM

cat vomitting

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
ps.com...
Sounds like he has a blockage.

I think you're right.

I would take him to an emergency vet
now.

I agree.

Phil

Phil P. November 19th 06 04:33 PM

cat vomitting

"nldiggs99" u29295@uwe wrote in message news:697c573a87b79@uwe...
My cat has not ate for a few days, drinks water but then throws up. My

vet
said to bring him in on monday. He did this same thing back in June and

they
did blood tests, xrays everything and found nothing wrong.

He could have had a partial obstruction- which don't always produce dilated
loops that can be seen on x-rays. Partial obstructions often become
complete obstructions eventually.

Well, today after
I got off the phone with my vets office he vomitted again but this time it
wasn't clear it was dark green almost black and smelled just like diarrea.
Anyone have any ideas what this could be? He's only 2 years old.

This sounds like an intestinal obstruction of some kind. When the small
intestine becomes obstructed the microflora changes into something similar
to the microflora in the large bowel- and with an overgrowth of fecal-type
bacteria. That's what makes the vomit smell like feces.

If I were you, I get a definitive diagnosis ASAP because if the vomiting is
due to an intestinal obstruction all that bacteria can lead to toxemia and
endotoxic shock which can quickly become fatal.

Best of luck,

Phil

nldiggs99 via CatKB.com November 19th 06 06:03 PM

cat vomitting

Thank you Phil, you gave me a more to the point answer and I was along the
lines of an obstruction too, but the emergency vet is the one I took him too
last time and didn't find anything. He is more perky this morning thank god,
still drinking water, responding more but I'm taking him in tomorrow to my
regular vet cause I think the emergency vet here just rushed us out last time
in June. Thanks and I will let you know what the doctor says on him. I would
think they would keep him over night tomorrow just to see if they can't
pinpoint something right away, he needs an IV I know that much. Although
he's drinking alot of water, he still doesn't get enough. I will let you all
know after work tomorrow when I am home to email...

Thanks

Question: I know cats aren't as strong as dogs, heck you can at least give a
dog a baby aspirin, you can't cats, but my cat drank out of my glass one day
last week, but it was tea watered down, but would this cause any of this do
you think?

nldiggs99 via CatKB.com November 21st 06 03:45 AM

cat vomitting

Hello everyone:
Well I took my cat into my vet tonight. Still, they could not find a thing
wrong with him. They could see he was dehydrated so they did an IV, barely
got any blood out of him to do run tests, they ran a leukemia and another
test and both negative. He had no idea, cause he had no fever, nothing. So,
he went ahead and treated with antibiotics again and said if he doesn't perk
up in a day or two to bring him back and they will try to take more blood and
run more tests.
So, you see it still lies a mystery on what is wrong with my cat.
I honestly wonder if he doesn't have something wrong with his kidneys, maybe
kidney stones? I picked up a pamphlet and honestly he has all but one
symptom of kidney disease. The Dr just didn't think towards that???? I am
leaning towards it, but more like stones cause he had white stuff on his
bottom, made it look like crystals?

Anyway, my kitty being sick is still a mystery. He gave me antibiotics, and
my cat started perking up this morning anyhow, and gave the Dr quite a
problem, but he still is not my kitty back to normal by any means.

I'll keep you posted.

Many thanks
Neva

nldiggs99 wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]

Phil

AmandaWV4 November 21st 06 03:55 AM

cat vomitting

nldiggs99 wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]

Phil

My friend had to take her cat to the vet a few weeks ago from vomiting all of
the time. The vet took and x-ray and didn't see anything. He told her he
has to open her up to see for sure what is going on. He ran all of the test
too. :( anyway the vet noticed a huge ball of string (almost like fishing
line) in it instines and the string was wrapped aroung the back of her tounge!
He wouldn't of had to open the poor little kitty up if he would have checked
the tounge but she is ok now. She could have gotten this from thread form a
bed spread or couch or blanket. Did your vet check for something like that?
Keep us updated. :(