CatBanter

-   -   cat starting to lick (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=16893)

mooviefan April 3rd 04 03:15 AM

cat starting to lick

I have a question that hopefully someone might be able to answer. I
have a female tabby about 2 years old, that has in the last month
developed a need to lick my hands every time she sits on my lap.
She gets a little obsessed with it at times, and while it's not a
great inconvenience, I'm wondering if it signifies a dietary
deficiency of some sort.
I've heard that dogs will do this if they're lacking in salt, but her
diet has not changed, she eats the same food daily.
My male cat doesn't do this, so I'm a little perplexed. Any ideas
would be welcome.
Thanks

GovtLawyer April 3rd 04 05:15 AM

I have a question that hopefully someone might be able to answer. I
have a female tabby about 2 years old, that has in the last month
developed a need to lick my hands every time she sits on my lap.
She gets a little obsessed with it at times, and while it's not a
great inconvenience, I'm wondering if it signifies a dietary
deficiency of some sort.
I've heard that dogs will do this if they're lacking in salt, but her
diet has not changed, she eats the same food daily.
My male cat doesn't do this, so I'm a little perplexed. Any ideas
would be welcome.
Thanks

My 15 month old female, who can be quite aloof, exhibits similar behaviour.
Sometimes in the middle of the night, she'll be under the covers with me and
she is licking the fingers on my hand. Very odd, as she doesn't particularly
like to be handled, unless it is on her terms. So, here she is licking my
fingers. I don't have a clue why she does, but I kinda like it.