CatBanter

-   -   Cataracts (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=111007)

Alison Sinclair April 18th 14 01:45 PM

Cataracts

I have a cat who was previously diagnosed as diabetic and was on various doses of insulin for about 18 months. About 2 years ago insulin was stopped and the cat is well and healthy. I still give him Hills M/D food partly as a precaution and because he strangely won't eat anything else. He won't even eat fish or meat! I understand that it is possible for cats to become non-diabetic (A phenomenon unique to cats)
Anyway my question is how likely is my cat to develop cataracts?
I read that diabetic dogs are much more likely than diabetic cats to get Cataracts.
Thanks in advance for any info

dgk April 23rd 14 02:41 PM

Cataracts

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 05:45:18 -0700 (PDT), Alison Sinclair
wrote:

I have a cat who was previously diagnosed as diabetic and was on various doses of insulin for about 18 months. About 2 years ago insulin was stopped and the cat is well and healthy. I still give him Hills M/D food partly as a precaution and because he strangely won't eat anything else. He won't even eat fish or meat! I understand that it is possible for cats to become non-diabetic (A phenomenon unique to cats)
Anyway my question is how likely is my cat to develop cataracts?
I read that diabetic dogs are much more likely than diabetic cats to get Cataracts.
Thanks in advance for any info

I don't think that cats becoming non-diabetic is unique. I have a
relative who was diabetic and lost lots of weight and now is off
insulin so I think it can happen to people too.

MaryL[_2_] April 23rd 14 02:50 PM

Cataracts

wrote:

I have a cat who was previously diagnosed as diabetic and was on various
doses of insulin for about 18 months. About 2 years ago insulin was
stopped and the cat is well and healthy. I still give him Hills M/D food
partly as a precaution and because he strangely won't eat anything else.
He won't even eat fish or meat! I understand that it is possible for cats
to become non-diabetic (A phenomenon unique to cats)
Anyway my question is how likely is my cat to develop cataracts?
I read that diabetic dogs are much more likely than diabetic cats to get
Cataracts.
Thanks in advance for any info

I don't think that cats becoming non-diabetic is unique. I have a
relative who was diabetic and lost lots of weight and now is off
insulin so I think it can happen to people too.

~~~~~~~~
Diet alone can bring cats into remission, and it should be permanent if an
appropriate diet is used (canned food only, no grains, no dry kibble). I am
diabetic and have been able to maintain good control through diet. In my
opinion, a person is not "cured" of diabetes. Instead, it may be "under
control" and may not even require medication.

MaryL