CatBanter

-   -   Christmas tree kitty fun (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=14918)

Governor George Liquor December 4th 03 07:08 PM

Christmas tree kitty fun

I set up my Christmas tree yesterday, and Jack and Rizzo have discovered
it's this season's best entertainment.

The tree is an eight foot, pre-lit artificial one (real trees barely last
through Christmas in Florida, and besides, I find the idea wasteful). As I
burst through the door from the garage with the large lower section, Jack
and Rizzo took one look and ran away from the large, scary, green thing.
Fear was quickly replaced by fascination as they followed me through the
house, Jack all the while chattering for a closer look. Rizzo, being the
more demure, hung back a little.

Before I could even set the bottom section fully in the stand, both boys
were investigating the lower branches. By the time I returned from the
garage with the second section, they were endowing the tree with lifelike
animation; lifelike provided the tree was outside during a gale. Rizzo was
draped over one of the big bottom branches, having what amounted to a
fistfight with some of the other branches, and was grunting and thrashing in
a most uncharacteristic way. Jack's chirping could be heard from deep
within the tree, and I could occasionally glimpse a flash of white fur or a
tail dropping out the bottom. Both cats also sampled each branch, by
noisily chewing on it, individually for flavor and texture.

Jack and Rizzo held joint gymnastics and wrestling demonstrations within the
tree numerous times yesterday afternoon and evening.

Much of the novelty has worn off in the succeeding day. Jack has made the
area under the tree his new favorite sprawling-out spot. Rizzo will
occasionally lay on his back and bat at the lower branches.

Despite vigorous and extensive product testing, the tree has suffered no
more than a few dropped needles.

Wendy December 4th 03 07:31 PM

So maybe I should set up the tree (fake), leave it up for a day, and then
decorate?

(pictures Boots having a LOT of time outs in the bathroom this Christmas
season)

Wendy

Karen December 4th 03 07:46 PM

in article , Governor George
Liquor at wrote on 12/4/03 1:08 PM:

[...]

It always became a fav napping spot for our cats. I have not put one up yet
and not sure i will as I am always gone Christmas week.

Joe Canuck December 4th 03 09:32 PM

Wendy wrote:

So maybe I should set up the tree (fake), leave it up for a day, and then
decorate?

Ah, this is what they wait for. You to adorn the tree with what they
think are kitty toys. Then the real fun begins.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Priscilla H Ballou December 4th 03 10:04 PM

Joe Canuck quoth:
Wendy wrote:
So maybe I should set up the tree (fake), leave it up for a day, and then
decorate?

Ah, this is what they wait for. You to adorn the tree with what they
think are kitty toys. Then the real fun begins.

I grew up with a cat, so I've always known that ornaments that are
breakable go on the top branches, and wooden and other non-breakable
ornaments go on the lower branches. Every year there are a few that get
knocked down and replaced over and over and over and over....

Priscilla, whose third cat is having fun batting cough drops off the
dining table these days