CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How to remove odor from car trunk (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=77933)

LurfysMa February 4th 07 09:49 PM

How to remove odor from car trunk

I'm posting this to several groups in hopes that someone will have an
answer.

I need suggestions for getting the smell or rotted fish out of the
trunk of my car and a duffel bag.

On the way home from the grocery store, one of the grocery nags tipped
over in the trunk. A couple of packages of frozen salmon fell out and
slipped behind a duffle bag. I didn't notice them.

About 3-4 weeks (!) later, I noticed a strong smell when I went into
the garage. It smelled just like a smell we had a few years back when
a rodent died in the attic. I checked around, but couldn't find
anything. Over the next day or two, it got worse.

I checked everywhere but the trunk, because it never occurred to me
that an animal could get into the truck. When I finally did, it was
awful. I pulled out the duffel bag and found the two packages. They
now looked like balloons about to explode. One of them had begun to
leak onto the side of the duffel bag the carpeted floor of the trunk.

I emptied the trunk. I was able to wash the some of the items and they
came out free of the smell. The trunk has a removable carpet pad. I
put it on the driveway and hosed it off. Still smells. I then scrubbed
it with hot water and soap. Still smells. I also tried a carpet
cleaner product and I left it in the sun for several days. Still
smells.

I thought the packages only leaked onto the removable pad, but
apparently it soaked through to the non-removable lining of the trunk
as well, as it still stinks in there.

I've been reading through old posts. Most of the recommendations are
specifically for cat or dog urine. Products like Nature's Miracle, Pet
Fresh, Knock Out, Petzyme, Mister Max, Real Ayre, plus various
mixtures of vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and water.

There are also recommendations for a black light such as Stink Free
Stink-Finder.

Are these products specifically for urine or will they work on this
smell as well?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Spot February 4th 07 10:12 PM

How to remove odor from car trunk

I would try the Icky Poo. It's that supposed to be the same stuff they use
to clean up human remains if it kills that odor I would image it works on
fish to.

http://www.antiickypoo.com/

LurfysMa February 4th 07 11:58 PM

How to remove odor from car trunk

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 21:12:24 GMT, "Spot"
wrote:

I would try the Icky Poo. It's that supposed to be the same stuff they use
to clean up human remains if it kills that odor I would image it works on
fish to.

http://www.antiickypoo.com/

Looks like it's a little cheaper on Amazon

Dean Hoffman February 5th 07 02:14 AM

How to remove odor from car trunk

In article ,
LurfysMa wrote:

I'm posting this to several groups in hopes that someone will have an
answer.

I need suggestions for getting the smell or rotted fish out of the
trunk of my car and a duffel bag.

On the way home from the grocery store, one of the grocery nags tipped
over in the trunk. A couple of packages of frozen salmon fell out and
slipped behind a duffle bag. I didn't notice them.

About 3-4 weeks (!) later, I noticed a strong smell when I went into
the garage. It smelled just like a smell we had a few years back when
a rodent died in the attic. I checked around, but couldn't find
anything. Over the next day or two, it got worse.

Cut rest.

Supposedly crumpled up newspapers will take the smell out of
freezers and fridges. Maybe it's worth a try.

Dean

Dan S. February 5th 07 06:17 AM

How to remove odor from car trunk

If it's in the trunk, you can usually pull the carpet out and clean it
completely with soap and water. This can usually be done without
permenantly damaging it. If the carpeting is attached to some parts, just
wash it thoughly while still in the trunk. Likewise, while the carpet it
out, you can hose out the inside of the trunk with a pressure washer at the
carwash. There should be drain holes in your trunk. Be careful not to get
the cushion in the back seat or the car speakers too wet. Rinse, repeat if
necessary.

--

Yours,
Dan S.

"Nobody would have known who he was if I would've ran."
-Mike Ditka on Barak Obama

Roberta Bagshaw February 6th 07 01:24 AM

How to remove odor from car trunk

If you have thoroughly scrubbed everything (don't forget the corners
:o)..... then try placing a container of charcoal... e.g. an ice-cream
container filled with charcoal heatbeads, or wood charcoal, in the trunk
and leave it there for a few days at least. Charcoal is great at absorbing
bad odours. I have tried this and it works!

I was told that dry-ice (frozen CO2) is also very effective at removing
odours, if you place a container of this in an enclosed space. I've not
tried this but it does sound plausible in theory.

For the duffel bag, give it a good scrub...... it should be washable.... and
then spray it with Febreze which you can buy at the supermarket, and which
is great at removing odours from fabrics. If you can leave it in the sun
that may also help. You could also spray Febreze onto the carpeting in the
trunk after you have used the charcoal.

Good luck..... I'm sure you will find a solution that will be effective.

~Roberta~