CatBanter

-   -   Rabies shots (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=18364)

---MIKE--- June 26th 04 01:05 AM

Rabies shots

I just had Tiger get the rabies shot. I wanted the Purevax (for safety)
but the vet says it's only good for one year. Why is that?

---MIKE---

~*Connie*~ June 26th 04 01:51 AM

because of the way it is made. It is made exclusively for cats, which is
why it is safer - where the two/three year vx is for cats or dogs.

Karen Chuplis June 26th 04 03:00 AM

in article , ---MIKE--- at
wrote on 6/25/04 7:05 PM:

I just had Tiger get the rabies shot. I wanted the Purevax (for safety)
but the vet says it's only good for one year. Why is that?

---MIKE---

My cats get that too. My vet says it is just because they don't *really*
know how long a vaccine is good for and purevax is new enough there have not
been studies. It's basically a CYA measure by the pharmaceuticals. Because
my one girl has reactions even to the new vacs and is totally indoors, I do
not do it yearly. I really wish that whoever produces the vaccine could do
something about that one year recommendation.