CatBanter

-   -   Cats Nursing Mice (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=12273)

Cat Protector July 18th 03 08:29 AM

Cats Nursing Mice

Now I have heard everything. Perhaps this cat is confused.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...ebuzz0718.html

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

moi July 18th 03 09:38 AM

I can believe it. My female Siamese adopted my son's guinea pigs! She didn't
go as far as nursing them - they were weaned and she had no kittens. However
she would take me to their pen and meow until I got them out and put them on
my knee, then she would sit with them (usually on top of them). She seemed
to get a lot of pleasure and it was quite deliberate. She also likes to run
around with them - but it is definitely playing and not hunting. We haven't
had a lid on the indoor pen for well over 12 months and have no worries. At
the moment they are in a pen in the garden and the cat often goes and sits
on the pen.

Moi

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...s/0718thebuzz0

Karen Chuplis July 18th 03 12:17 PM

in article 1mNRa.832$Ye.498@fed1read02, Cat Protector at
wrote on 7/18/03 2:29 AM:

Now I have heard everything. Perhaps this cat is confused.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...0718thebuzz071
8.html

Well, that cat in Thailand made friends with a mouse. There is a cat with a
HUGE mothering instinct!

Karen

Bill July 18th 03 08:26 PM

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
Now I have heard everything. Perhaps this cat is confused.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...s/0718thebuzz0
718.html

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Kittens have to be taught by their mothers what their prey is.

If a cat was never taught a mouse is prey, it may very well not recognize it
as such. It's a bit more unusual for a cat to nurse a mouse.

I have a friend whose dog would let the family's adult cat nurse along with
her litter of puppies, so interspecies nursing isn't unknown.

Bill

Cat Protector July 19th 03 08:17 PM

I remember seeing a story where a crow befriended a kitten. It was the
craziest thing I ever saw but apparently the crow watched out for the kitten
and apparently even brought the young one food.