CatBanter

-   -   What Do you do? A Poll (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=23327)

Marina January 16th 05 06:51 AM

Tanada wrote:

Hey, I resemble that remark. Actually, I'm noted for posting polls and
asking unusual questions of everyone in here.

Pam, this is a good thread. You brought several lurkers out of the
woodwork. :o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Helen Wheels January 16th 05 07:26 AM

badwilson wrote:

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:

I'll help! And I promise not to spit the tastings on anyones

shoes!

Spit? Bad Jill, bad!

Victor, who knows that's how it's supposed to be done, but who also
thinks wasting alcohol is as close to a sin as he believes...

I totally agree! I never spit. Dennis and I have had some great
times touring the wineries in Margaret River (the town we're planning
to move to). The best way to avoid getting too drunk is to eat some
tim tams between tastings. Mmmm, wine and tim tams :-)

Wine and Tim Tams? Gah, waste of good Tim Tams.

Helen Wheels January 16th 05 07:28 AM

jmcquown wrote:

Irulan wrote:

I'm a retired psychiatric nurse.
Jazz's mama

This explains why you are owned by cats... as far as I can tell they all
require psychiatric care :)

I always thought the cats provided it. Why do you think I have so many?

Howard Berkowitz January 16th 05 08:02 AM

In article , Helen Wheels
wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:
In article , Helen Wheels
wrote:

Tanada wrote:

Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money?

Well my job title is still "programmer", but I'm really more of a
database person, working in public health/epidemiology research at a
university. I work on several projects, but the one that takes up most
of my time is maintaining followup data on people who've taken part in
rather long-running series of community health studies which started
back in 1966.
In a ghoulish mood I've been known to describe chronic disease research
as "well we get all these people to fill in questionnaires and have
their height, weight and blood pressure measured... then we wait
patiently for them to die of something interesting."

Is your project similar to the US Framingham or Nurses' studies, or
does
it have interesting differences?

Framingham is probably the one we're most often compared to; our study
is on a similar scale, but ours was originally intended as a series of
cross-sectional surveys of a single town's population, whereas
Framingham was always intended to collect data on the same original
cohort over time. But since the numbers of people moving into and out of
our town were relatively small, we ended up collecting data on many of
the same people over the years anyway, and since our mortality and
hospital admissions followup is no longer limited to residents of that
town, we have become more of a cohort study like Framingham after all.
I guess the one thing we have that the USA-based studies don't is that
we're able to access full hospital admissions history data for all our
subjects. It's mandatory for all hospitals in the state to provide that
data to the state government health department, who do release the data
to researchers.
We are hoping that in the not-too-distant future it will be possible to
get similar access to prescribed medications data for Australian cohort
study participants. Technically it's quite easy, since almost all
prescribed drugs used in Australia are provided through the national
pharmaceutical benefits scheme. The ethical and privacy issues are,
quite rightly, being debated at the moment.

(and I'm only reluctant to name the actual study I work for because they
probably don't want the world to know what a goofball they have managing
their data!)

If it would be useful, contact me privstely on some work I've done on
sanitizing patient records for research use.

Krista January 16th 05 09:17 AM

Tanada wrote:
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I

know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes

for
one) and so forth. You don't have to be any more specific than you
want, but I confess to being extremely curious. If you're currently

out
of work, you don't have to say so, just list your career field.

I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina, married

a Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the US

army.

Pam S.

I "work" as secretary for my DH, though an awful lot of my time is
actually spent playing with the office cats, Ozzy and Tiger.
------
Krista

badwilson January 16th 05 10:27 AM

jmcquown wrote:

I'll help! And I promise not to spit the tastings on anyones

shoes!

Spit? Bad Jill, bad!

Victor, who knows that's how it's supposed to be done, but who

also
thinks wasting alcohol is as close to a sin as he believes...

I totally agree! I never spit. Dennis and I have had some great
times touring the wineries in Margaret River (the town we're

planning
to move to). The best way to avoid getting too drunk is to eat

some
tim tams between tastings. Mmmm, wine and tim tams :-)

Wine and Tim Tams? Gah, waste of good Tim Tams.

Hah! You only say that because you don't drink, Helen ;-)
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Helen Wheels January 16th 05 10:50 AM

jmcquown wrote:

I'll help! And I promise not to spit the tastings on anyones

shoes!

Spit? Bad Jill, bad!

Victor, who knows that's how it's supposed to be done, but who

also

thinks wasting alcohol is as close to a sin as he believes...

I totally agree! I never spit. Dennis and I have had some great
times touring the wineries in Margaret River (the town we're

planning

to move to). The best way to avoid getting too drunk is to eat

some

tim tams between tastings. Mmmm, wine and tim tams :-)

Wine and Tim Tams? Gah, waste of good Tim Tams.

Hah! You only say that because you don't drink, Helen ;-)

This is true. There are still plenty of vices left for me though.

jmcquown January 16th 05 11:01 AM

Krista wrote:
Tanada wrote:
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I
know we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what
passes for one) and so forth. You don't have to be any more
specific than you want, but I confess to being extremely curious.
If you're currently out of work, you don't have to say so, just list
your career field.

I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina, married
to a Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the
US army.

Pam S.

I "work" as secretary for my DH, though an awful lot of my time is
actually spent playing with the office cats, Ozzy and Tiger.
------
Krista

Now *that* is a job I could appreciate! The playing with the office cats,
of course :)

Jill

badwilson January 16th 05 11:19 AM

jmcquown wrote:

I'll help! And I promise not to spit the tastings on anyones

shoes!

Spit? Bad Jill, bad!

Victor, who knows that's how it's supposed to be done, but who

also

thinks wasting alcohol is as close to a sin as he believes...

I totally agree! I never spit. Dennis and I have had some great
times touring the wineries in Margaret River (the town we're

planning

to move to). The best way to avoid getting too drunk is to eat

some

tim tams between tastings. Mmmm, wine and tim tams :-)

Wine and Tim Tams? Gah, waste of good Tim Tams.

Hah! You only say that because you don't drink, Helen ;-)

This is true. There are still plenty of vices left for me though.

Yeah? Is one of them Tim Tams? ;-)

Adrian January 16th 05 01:11 PM

jmcquown wrote:
Sherry wrote:
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I
know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what
passes for one) and so forth.

Before desktop publishing was ever heard of, I was a "typesetter."
There's a word you don't hear anymore.

LOL I learned programming on punch cards.

Did you ever drop a bunch of them?

Jill ---also a recluse

--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera) also a recluse for now
A house is not a home, without a cat.