CatBanter

-   -   What Do you do? A Poll (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=23327)

badwilson January 26th 05 12:51 AM

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2005-01-25, badwilson penned:

"Seanette Blaylock"

wrote in
message ...

I did find that the symptoms [especially psychological] were

somewhat
milder on three-phase.

Yes, three phase is much better. I started on it originally when

was 19. But a few years later my doc put me on a different one,

not 3
phase. 2 years ago I put myself back on 3 phase and I feel *much*
better. If I still don't want kids in 5 years, I'm taking Dennis

in
for the big snip ;-) Then I won't have to worry about taking any
chemicals anymore.

What are these phases of which you speak? Are you talking about
variable-dosage pills?

Yeah, there's 3 different strengths spread out over the month instead
of the same strength the whole time. It keeps the dosage lower when
all that extra isn't needed.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Monique Y. Mudama January 28th 05 05:55 PM

On 2005-01-26, badwilson penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

What are these phases of which you speak? Are you talking about
variable-dosage pills?

Yeah, there's 3 different strengths spread out over the month instead of the
same strength the whole time. It keeps the dosage lower when all that extra
isn't needed. -- Britta

Interesting. I talked to my doc and she said that variable-dose pills were
more a marketing gimmick than anything else. If my current pill (Yasmin)
continues to cause me trouble, though, I'll look into them.

I was on Desogen in my late teens -- it was, um, whatever the term is for
not-variable-dose, but I never had tummy issues.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monique Y. Mudama January 28th 05 07:23 PM

On 2005-01-24, badwilson penned:

Me, I think I was 130 when I was 12 ... and that was probably the
last time =) 140 would be a good, muscular weight for me, but I seem
to have trouble getting there. (TMI warning) I just switched from
Depo to the pill, though, and my doctor thinks I'll lose 5-10 pounds
just from that.

Well, I was 160 a couple of years ago. At that point I had no hope at
all of fitting into anything here. But I got into fitness and lost 35
lbs over the course of 6 months. I've put on some muscle since then
from weight lifting. I've never been on Depo but have heard that a
weight gain of 20-40 lbs isn't unheard of. I think you're smart to
get off it. Here in Thailand I can pick up pills at the grocery
store. I pretty much tried a bunch of different ones until I found
one that I was happy with. The one I was on in Canada made me feel
PMS'y.

Oof, 20-40 pounds.

Actually, after being on depo for a few years, I did drop it for about six
months. This was at a time when I was suffering from depression, and so I'm a
bit fuzzy on the timelines, but I *think* that was when I lost so much weight
that one of my co-workers confronted me and asked if I was anorexic. But I
also don't eat much when I am depressed ... I also didn't get my period the
whole time I was off of depo, but I have no idea if that was from the residual
hormones in my system or because I was depressed and not eating. So, on the
whole, completely inconclusive, especially as I can't remember whether the
weight loss coincided with discontinuing depo. *sigh*

Anyway, I would certainly be happy to find out (if it's indeed the case)
that my fat isn't all "my fault." I did lose some fat last year when I
was on a tremendous workout schedule, but as my mom has said to me
frequently, "I don't see how you can be exercising this much and still
not lose weight." At the time, I was also making a point of a low-fat
diet (35-40 grams a day) with lots of veggies and good for me foods. I
am *not* an inactive person. Pictures of me from high school (during my
Pill days, pre-depo) show an amazingly slender/gaunt face (I was
training for my black belt). Granted, martial arts are intensive, but
so are mountain biking, skiing, ice hockey ... all these things that I
do.

My husband has this theory that the reason he doesn't get fat easily and I do
is because he was a competetive swimmer in high school, whereas I "only" did
martial arts. Granted, I don't think I put in the hours he did at the time,
but I am *much* more active than him now. His little theory is infuriating,
and not in the least bit helpful =/

Of course, he also has a theory that men are more likely to be muscular than
women because *cough* as kids, they are more likely to throw a football and
mow the lawns. Right.

I do love him dearly ...

Seanette Blaylock January 29th 05 05:48 AM

"Monique Y. Mudama" had some very interesting
things to say about What Do you do? A Poll:

What are these phases of which you speak? Are you talking about
variable-dosage pills?

Yeah, there's 3 different strengths spread out over the month instead of the
same strength the whole time. It keeps the dosage lower when all that extra
isn't needed. -- Britta

Interesting. I talked to my doc and she said that variable-dose pills were
more a marketing gimmick than anything else. If my current pill (Yasmin)
continues to cause me trouble, though, I'll look into them.

I strongly disagree with your doctor. I had much less trouble with
side effects on three-phase.

Monique Y. Mudama January 29th 05 07:27 AM

On 2005-01-29, Seanette Blaylock penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" had some very interesting things
to say about What Do you do? A Poll:

Interesting. I talked to my doc and she said that variable-dose pills were
more a marketing gimmick than anything else. If my current pill (Yasmin)
continues to cause me trouble, though, I'll look into them.

I strongly disagree with your doctor. I had much less trouble with side
effects on three-phase.

I certainly believe you. I don't remember ever having any problems with the
steady-dose stuff (one-phase?) I used before depo. I think the doctor
specifically recommended I not do the variable-dose because I was a teenager
at the time and she figured my hormones were bouncing up and down enough.

Lynn via CatKB.com January 29th 05 08:18 AM

I'm a junior high school teacher. Also a wife and mother of two lovely furbabies! I'm also a crazy cat lady - my family, friends and neighbors actually call me that - just because I walk my cats on leashes - go figure! Crazy cat lady is fine by me!

Tanada January 29th 05 05:53 PM

Lynn via CatKB.com wrote:

I'm a junior high school teacher. Also a wife and mother of two lovely furbabies! I'm also a crazy cat lady - my family, friends and neighbors actually call me that - just because I walk my cats on leashes - go figure! Crazy cat lady is fine by me!

Small world. I substitute at Middle/Jr High and High schools. What do
you teach and at what grade levels?

Pam S. who subs just about anything