CatBanter

-   -   Cat ingested ant/roach spray ... possibility of lasting damage? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=88862)

Greg Bailey May 26th 08 08:25 PM

Cat ingested ant/roach spray ... possibility of lasting damage?

One of my cats (4-year-old male) is at the vet right now. Short version, I
sprayed for ants (Raid) around the baseboard in the kitchen where his water
and food bowls sit. I thought I had waited until it dried enough to put them
back, but apparently I didn't and some either got in his food/water or he
got it on his paws and licked it off (he's a very fastidious groomer),
because this a.m. he started showing signs of having ingested it. His pupils
were way dilated, he didn't seem like he was in pain or anything but he
looked he was practically stiff with fright although he was walking around
OK and did eat something. I took him immediately to the vet, who came in on
the holiday, and he took one look at the cat and said he did get into
ant/roach spray because he's showing the signs of it having made his nervous
system hyper which is what that does. The vet says the cat seems in good
shape otherwise, checked his heart, breathing, etc., so he gave him a shot
of atropine, will keep him overnight and expects him to be OK in 24 hours or
so. I will be more careful with bug spray from now on, ants are eating us
alive in the South this summer but I'd rather have ants than harm one of my
felines. My question is, even though the vet has painted a very optimistic
picture about this, could there be any chance of lasting damage, and if so
what do I need to look for?

cshenk May 26th 08 08:39 PM

Cat ingested ant/roach spray ... possibility of lasting damage?

"Greg Bailey" wrote

so. I will be more careful with bug spray from now on, ants are eating us
alive in the South this summer but I'd rather have ants than harm one of
my felines. My question is, even though the vet has painted a very
optimistic picture about this, could there be any chance of lasting
damage, and if so what do I need to look for?

I'm sorry this happened and can't answer the question, but I can help in
other ways.

Ant control. I too live in the south. I use a very old home remedy
outdoors. On a dry day, take grits and make a small pile over any mounds
you can find. Also, if you know an ingress path to your house, along that.
They eat it and it kills them. They carry it back to the mound and it kills
the queen. Works on all types of ants. They have to be dry when eaten to
work. I believe corn meal is supposed to work too? The grits wont harm
anything but hard carapaced insects and not all of those. I don't advise
this indoors though because roaches arent killed with grits ;-) If you have
ants, you probably have a roach issue in your area too and have to be
careful.

There are inside types of sprays made for houses with small children and
pets. I think they are referred to as 'green pesticides'?

Chameleon May 26th 08 09:59 PM

On May 26, 3:25*pm, "Greg Bailey" wrote:
[...]

I am currently dealing with a sick cat and thought posion might be a
factor in his distress. Based on some of the research I have been
looking for, you may want to check out this site:

http://www.feelgoodhealth.co.za/PetA...x-recovery.htm

Good luck and keep us posted.

-L. May 26th 08 10:21 PM

On May 26, 12:25 pm, "Greg Bailey" wrote:
[...]

I would be more concerned at this point with his survival. Worry
about lasting effects if and when he pulls through.

-L.

PRW May 26th 08 10:38 PM

On May 26, 4:21 pm, "-L." wrote:

I would be more concerned at this point with his survival. Worry
about lasting effects if and when he pulls through.

-L.

I'm the OP responding under a different account since I'm away from
home and not using Outlook Express ... I am very worried about the
cat's survival, to the point of pretty much not being able to
function, especially since it's my fault that he's in this
predicament, and am not going to stop worrying until he's home.
However, as I said in my original post, our vet gave us every
indication today that the cat will survive this and will be as good as
new within 24 hours. (He said that about 4 hours and 50 minutes ago,
I'm watching the clock.)

The reason for my post was that I did not have time to discuss any
potential long-lasting effects with our vet, being that since he had
to come in on a holiday, he was the only person there and had to set
up and do everything himself and he wanted to get our cat back to the
treatment area and get a dose of atropine in him ASAP. Hopefully I
will be able to have that conversation with him tomorrow when
hopefully I'll pick the cat up, and I was just looking for a little
info so that I wouldn't go into the conversation unprepared.

Cheryl May 27th 08 02:15 AM

Cat ingested ant/roach spray ... possibility of lasting damage?

On Mon 26 May 2008 03:39:33p, cshenk wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav :

Ant control. I too live in the south. I use a very old home
remedy outdoors. On a dry day, take grits and make a small pile
over any mounds you can find. Also, if you know an ingress path
to your house, along that. They eat it and it kills them. They
carry it back to the mound and it kills the queen. Works on all
types of ants. They have to be dry when eaten to work. I
believe corn meal is supposed to work too? The grits wont harm
anything but hard carapaced insects and not all of those. I
don't advise this indoors though because roaches arent killed
with grits ;-) If you have ants, you probably have a roach
issue in your area too and have to be careful.

I'm not in the south, but close, on the east coast. It seems like
my house is sitting on top of a huge ant colony because I find the
tiny ants EVERYWHERE outside. They used to get inside, but several
years ago I had to get a termite treatment (have those in huge
numbers here, too) and since then, the ants don't come in (knock
wood).

If I leave anything outside, it becomes an ant habitat within days.
I just killed millions on the stack of mulch bags I hadn't had a
chance to put down until this weekend. It was disgusting!

What if you can't find ant mounds? The ants here seem to go under
things like rocks, bags, etc. I try not to leave anything out that
can become their home, but it doesn't take much for them to swarm,
then if I disturb them, they all grab eggs and run. Ick. Can you
just sprinkle grits around the edges of fencing? Around gardens? Do
you have to mound up the grits? I put down "Ant Stakes" around the
entrances to my house and that seems to keep them from housing
around the doors, but away from that, they are EVERYWHERE. I know
ants are beneficial, but this is ridiculous. LOL

--
Cheryl

cshenk May 27th 08 02:29 AM

Cat ingested ant/roach spray ... possibility of lasting damage?

"Cheryl" wrote

What if you can't find ant mounds? The ants here seem to go under
things like rocks, bags, etc. I try not to leave anything out that
can become their home, but it doesn't take much for them to swarm,
then if I disturb them, they all grab eggs and run. Ick. Can you
just sprinkle grits around the edges of fencing? Around gardens? Do

Yup, anyplace. Once it rains though, it wont work. Needs dry (fairly dry)
ground but in 2 days you can kill off any hill. Subterrainian ones too
which you have.

---MIKE--- May 27th 08 12:58 PM

Cat ingested ant/roach spray ... possibility of lasting damage?

Many years ago I was putting ant poison granules around the foundation
of the house. Ike (RB) used to roam outside and came to see me and
stepped right in the granules. I picked him right up and set him in a
small puddle to try and rinse off the poison. I called the vet and he
didn't think I had to worry. I guess he was right because Ike had no
reaction and was with me for several years before he disappeared.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Rene S. May 27th 08 02:43 PM

Cat ingested ant/roach spray ... possibility of lasting damage?

On May 26, 8:29*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Cheryl" wrote

What if you can't find ant mounds? The ants here seem to go under
things like rocks, bags, etc. I try not to leave anything out that
can become their home, but it doesn't take much for them to swarm,
then if I disturb them, they all grab eggs and run. Ick. Can you
just sprinkle grits around the edges of fencing? Around gardens? Do

Yup, anyplace. *Once it rains though, it wont work. *Needs dry (fairly dry)
ground but in 2 days you can kill off any hill. *Subterrainian ones too
which you have.

I have used corn meal and it works wonderfully. I've even put the corn
meal in small piles around the house and they come flocking to it. I
am sorry about your cat and hope he pulls through--any updates?

Cat Protector May 27th 08 07:16 PM

Cat ingested ant/roach spray ... possibility of lasting damage?

I'm sorry this happened. I hope your cat is ok. What I would look for if
this happens in the future is vomiting. When they throw up and aren't acting
their sweet selves, it's a clear indicator they have an illness. One of the
possibilities is kidney damage. If they shut down then you have a serious
problem. In the future I would put his water dish a little higher. I keep my
cats water dishes on the dining room table ever since I had a problem a long
time ago with ants. I haven't had an issue since. BTW, you can kill ants
using regular glass cleaner. Find one that is kitty and environmentally
safe. Good luck.

. ..