CatBanter

-   -   My cats are clawing me out of house and home! (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26924)

Mariah Nichols via CatKB.com May 5th 05 05:45 PM

My cats are clawing me out of house and home!

My 2 cats like to claw things(especially me!) I don't want to declaw them,
but I doupt I can afford to buy any Soft Paws. Is there an easier way to
keep them from clawing without training them?

John Doe May 5th 05 06:00 PM

"Mariah Nichols via CatKB.com" wrote:

My 2 cats like to claw things(especially me!) I don't want to
declaw them, but I doupt I can afford to buy any Soft Paws. Is
there an easier way to keep them from clawing without training
them?

You do not have to train a cat to do something it very much needs
to do. The trick is to provide them with something they would like
to claw. There are many such things, you can buy them or make
them.

Claws are the essence of a cat. Cats depend on their claws for
exercise, play, self-defense, and hunting. Removing a cat's claws
is effectively crippling it.

Good luck.

Karen May 5th 05 06:02 PM

in article , Mariah Nichols via
CatKB.com at
wrote on 5/5/05 11:45AM:

My 2 cats like to claw things(especially me!) I don't want to declaw them,
but I doupt I can afford to buy any Soft Paws. Is there an easier way to
keep them from clawing without training them?

Jeez. You don't want to train them???? It's not very hard. Nor are soft paws
some huge expense.

CatNipped May 5th 05 06:22 PM

"Mariah Nichols via CatKB.com" wrote in message
My 2 cats like to claw things(especially me!) I don't want to declaw them,
but I doupt I can afford to buy any Soft Paws. Is there an easier way to
keep them from clawing without training them?

And you think paying for a declawing surgery will be *less* expensive than
Soft Paws??!

Will cleaning up the results of their improper elimination when they avoid
use of the litter box because of the pain of amputated toes take any *less*
effort than some simple training?

If you're not a troll, and really *do* care about your cats, buy or make a
scratching post, get some catnip, and put forth a *minimum* of effort to
train them to use it!

Hugs,

CatNipped

kaeli May 5th 05 06:39 PM

In article ,
enlightened us with...
My 2 cats like to claw things(especially me!) I don't want to declaw them,
but I doupt I can afford to buy any Soft Paws. Is there an easier way to
keep them from clawing without training them?

You want easy with no training? Remove the items from your home. ;)

Now, since we know that isn't going to happen...
All changes in behavior are a result of training. Softclaws are meant to be
used as a training aid, not as a replacement for training. Like those head
halter collar things for dogs. They don't teach in and of themselves. They
simply give you a means to an end. You still have to show the animal the
proper behavior and PRAISE IT.

Stop thinking of training as some huge, horrible, lengthy process that you
aren't capable of. It is small things, throughout the day, on a daily basis.
Consistency is the key.

Clip their nails (or pay the whole $5 for a groomer to do it) to reduce
damage.
Start correcting their behavior. Give them acceptable things to claw and
praise the hell out of them for using them. Redirect inappropriate scratching
to appropriate things and make inappropriate things less attractive (scent
them with citrus or move them or put tape on them or whatever). When you see
them using the right thing, PRAISE THEM. Give a treat, a pet, playtime,
whatever. Something positive to them. When you catch them doing the wrong
thing, interrupt the behavior (clap, NO, penny-can, etc), then call, coax, or
bring them to the right place, and PRAISE THEM.
It isn't rocket science, I promise.

Remember -- inappropriate or "wrong" are simply human definitions. The cat
doesn't attach a monetary value to your couch.

You don't expect a dog not to chew the "wrong" things or a child not to draw
on the "wrong" things simply by osmosis. Don't expect a cat to just not claw
the "wrong" things, either. Teach it.

~kaeli~
I love God. It's His fanclub that I can't stand.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Philip May 5th 05 07:03 PM

Mariah Nichols via CatKB.com wrote:
My 2 cats like to claw things(especially me!) I don't want to declaw
them, but I doupt I can afford to buy any Soft Paws. Is there an
easier way to keep them from clawing without training them?

What YOUR problem? Are you really that incapable of trimming your cats'
claws with a specialized clipper?

Philip May 5th 05 07:23 PM

kaeli wrote:
In article ,
enlightened us with...
[...]

SUPERB post!

"Cats are not plants. They don't grow out of bad behaviors, they grow into
them!"

Cheryl May 6th 05 01:33 AM

On Thu 05 May 2005 01:39:25p, kaeli wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

In article ,
enlightened us with...
My 2 cats like to claw things(especially me!) I don't want to
declaw them, but I doupt I can afford to buy any Soft Paws. Is
there an easier way to keep them from clawing without training
them?

You want easy with no training? Remove the items from your home.
;)

[...]

Nicely put. This post should be part of an FAQ if anyone ever puts
one together. :)

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

John Doe May 6th 05 03:18 AM

kaeli wrote:

Remember -- inappropriate or "wrong" are simply human
definitions. The cat doesn't attach a monetary value to your
couch.

So true. Animals are cool that way. Not necessarily easy to cope
with, but no mind games.

bigbadbarry May 6th 05 03:45 AM

Mariah Nichols via CatKB.com wrote:
My 2 cats like to claw things(especially me!) I don't want to declaw

them,
but I doupt I can afford to buy any Soft Paws. Is there an easier way

keep them from clawing without training them?

I think your cats must think you are a cat, do they "claw" each other
too?

How bad and where are they clawing you.