CatBanter

-   -   OT - Fireworks? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=105447)

Joy July 3rd 11 12:56 AM

OT - Fireworks?

"Adrian" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote:
I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a place of such
history -
any longer than a couple of centuries' worth.

There are several houses in the village I live in which were built
before 1492.
--
Adrian

Wow! I remember once when I was in England having a guide say, "That isn't
very old. It's only 200 years old." I was blown away, because here in the
U.S. anything over 100 years is *old*. ;-)

Joy

[email protected] July 3rd 11 01:04 AM

OT - Fireworks?

hopitus wrote:

On Jul 2, 4:18*pm, wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

* Lesley wrote:

* In the end they almost wanted to come back and hire me as a tour
* guide.... but after all the things I told them when I mentioned the
* Minnie Lansbury clock they asked "Is she related to Angela
* Lansbury" (Sort of Minnie was her grandfathers first wife when the
* clock needed work done she put 5K or so into the fund) and shot off
* to take photos

* ....And then we wonder why American tourists have a bad reputation in
* Europe! *At least, in the UK they are justified in expecting the natives
* to speak English. (One of the prime complaints against us in other
* countries.)

I don't understand. What did she say that was objectionable? I mean,
she was on the right track, wasn't she? Minnie *did* have a connection
with Angela, if not by blood, then by marriage, so how was this an
example of being an obnoxious tourist?

You are right; she did NOT say anything objectionable. What I believe
Lesley
was LOL pointing out was not a big deal of Merkin tourists being
"obnoxious"
but simply pointing out that as tourists out of USA , they have the
attention
span of a gnat when someone *they ask* on the street (a stranger, if
you will)
tries to inform them of the answer to their historical
question......they run off
to shoot photos of the local sights . Kinda airhead behavior but not
obnoxious,
just thoughtless.
Feel free to disagree with my interpretation.

OK, no problem. I don't disagree. I was just thrown off because first,
the story didn't sound very bad to me, and then Evelyn was talking about
people expecting people to speak English? What did that have to do with
anything? :)

However, I have to say that American tourists do not corner the market
on airheadedness or short attention spans. Airheads come from everywhere
and they come in every size, shape and color!

It's funny - I know I don't come off as the most patriotic type, and I
have a lot of criticisms of our government, our economic system, and
many aspects of our culture. If someone outside the US criticizes those
things, I can only agree with them. Even when it's a caustic criticism,
like when Jack said that the goal in the US is to burn up every last
bit of available energy. It's embarrassing to hear that, but I can't
deny that we are the biggest wasters of energy in the world. And I do
think people outside the US have every right to criticize it because
it affects them, too. This country has an abysmal energy policy.

But when people confuse American *policy* with American *people*, and
start critisizing or making fun of us as individuals, I really bristle
at that. How is that different from any other prejudice? We aren't all
alike, any more than members of any ethnic or national or racial group
are all alike.

Joyce

--
Excuse for Not Doing One's Homework:
My pit bull, here, ate it. -- J.D. Berry, Springfield

hopitus[_2_] July 3rd 11 01:16 AM

OT - Fireworks?

On Jul 2, 5:20*pm, bast wrote:
Yowie wrote:
* Combined with the general culture that sees 'outside' as a big scary
* place and that 'unsupervised' children are 'neglected', and you have an
* indoor culture. According to current wisdom over here, children should
* not be left unsupervised for any length of time until they are at least
* 12. I was walking to and from school which was just under a mile each
* way by the time I was 7. Sometimes I walked with friends, but often I
* walked alone. I knew how to cross a road, and not to talk to strangers
* /unless it was an emergency/. I knew how to dial emergency on a public
* phone, and knew my next door neighbour's phone number (we didn't have a
* phone) if something happened and needed to contact my parents. I fell
* over and grazed verious bits of me more times than I could coung, got
* sunburnt, got beat up by a boy I liked once, and was even approached by
* a stranger once (I don't know if he was dangerous or just 'not right in
* the head' - I ran home). I went to the shops for Mum to pick up milk and
* bread and like you had the kicked-out-in-the-morning, be-home-by-dusk
* curfew. WOuldn't, and couldn't, happen now though - that would be
* considered neglect.

Well, these are kind of opposite extremes. I agree that kids are way,
way overprotected these days, and I don't think it's just the fear of
a lawsuit. It's a culture of fear - the boogeyman is around every
corner.

Sometimes these days, he lives right down the hall.....
I started noticing this back in the 80s when I became friends with a
woman who had a son from a previous marriage. He was like 14 years old
and she wouldn't let him ride public transportation to school. WTF??
I took buses when I was much younger than that. She said, "You grew
up in a small town, so it was safer. We live in a city." Well, I was
going into Boston without parents, via public transit, when I was his
age. Her response: "The world is a lot more dangerous now."
I don't agree. Some things have gotten worse, but I don't think the
everyday lives of most kids have gotten so much more dangerous. Parents
are afraid of kidnappings - but most kidnappings are done by the "other
parent" (who lost custody) after a divorce, etc. There aren't a lot more
random strangers looking for kids to grab off the street and molest,
no matter how many TV shows tell us there are.

Read these links re your last two sentences here.
Joyce

TV show? Snork. Here's Mile-High news. Not even going to south FL
headliners,

http://www.denverpost.com/crime/ci_18383729

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_18389677

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18385956

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18...obref=obinsite

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14...obref=obinsite

http://www.denverpost.com/crime/ci_18384239

One set of my relatives with a small female child lives within a mile
of the last headline above.
Am I the last remaining reader of newspapers? Would like to think not.

Sherry July 3rd 11 01:51 AM

OT - Fireworks?

On Jul 2, 6:54*pm, "Joy" wrote:
wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

On 3/07/2011 3:32 AM, CatNipped wrote:
LOL! *Your post sent me back to a childhood of playgrounds set in
concrete.
Bones had to be sticking out of skin before anyone was sissy enough to
go
home crying to mom when we fell off the top of the monkey bars or
"tightrope
walking" on the top of the extra tall swing set - not to mention trying
get the swing to go completely around in a circle and more often than
not
banging into the steel posts instead. *Then there was the ever popular
child's game of "Lawn Darts" where children stood on opposite sides of
the
lawn and threw very large steel spikes at the target at one child's
feet -
can't tell you how many times I had to pull a dart out of my leg.

There were public pools that kids could attend alone at any age, dive
off
the high dive 25 - 30 feet above the deep end of the pool, and drown if
the
lone "lifeguard" happened to be flirting with a pretty girl at the
time.

Not to mention being basically kicked out of the front door with a
backpack
of sandwiches at first light and not allowed to come back (even had we
wanted) until after dark. *I lived next to a large copse of wild woods
with
many wild animals, such as nutria (think rats on steroids - they could
take
on a large dog and win). *there were streams to cross on a fallen log,
trees
to climb to serious heights, ropes strung across the trees to swing on
like
Tarzan or make a rope bridge. *To build tree houses we had to "borrow"
from
our garages machetes, axes, hammers, ten-penny nails. saws, etc. - all
of
which we were never taught how to safely use - we either figured it out
or
lost a piece of finger. *Any less serious injury was treated with spit
and a
mud pack (it's amazing how few infections we had - I guess we built
immunities pretty quickly).

I sometimes think that we were still practicing "evolution in action"
in
those times. *Anyone smart enough to live through a childhood like that
had
the privilege to grow up to marry and contribute to the gene pool.

I walk past the playgrounds of today, with their moss and wood chip
ground
cover - nothing high, nothing steel, everything a very light plastic,
no
monkey bars, no see-saws and more often than not totally deserted (how
could
kids possibly have fun on those unthrilling, vanilla "toys"). *And
children
have to be accompanied by parents, they're not allowed to venture
anywhere
on their own now-a-days (even if they should desire a few minutes away
from
their Nintendos and WIIs). *It's all pretty sad really. *And I'm sure
it's
why so *MANY* of our children in the US are seriously overweight and
having
*HEART ATTACKS* in their *TEENS*!!! *That was unheard of when I was
young.
There was maybe one poor child in the whole school whose single mother
coddled into overweight and that poor child was teased and hounded to
misery
(there weren't any awareness programs about the damage this did). *I
can
say, righteously, that I was not a teaser - having lost my dad at age 4
and
being brighter than my peers caused me enough teasing and grief from my
peers that I could empathize all too well.

Most of that is due to the culture of suing if a child gets hurt. If
local councils choose to put in play areas for children, they have to be
as safe as possible and have signs all around saying that children have
to be supervised at all times and that any use is solely at the user's
risk.

[...]

And don't get me started on the fear of germs! We're making children
much sicker by keeping them in such sterile environments. And of course,
we're breeding super-bacteria that *will* be scary and dangerous, and
unstoppable, because of all the disinfectants and antibiotics we use.

On the other hand, Catnipped's description of her childhood environment
seems kind of extreme in the other direction. I don't think there's
anything sissy-ish about going home when you're injured, even if all
your bones are still inside your skin. And I also think it's really
weird for parents to kick their kids out for the day and not allow them
in until dinner. After I finished my chores, I came and went pretty much
as I pleased when I was a kid, and often times I would be gone for the
whole day - I'd get home for dinner, and nobody grilled me about where
I had been. But if I'd wanted to come in earlier, I could have. It was
my house, too.

I had the same attitude about Smudge. I knew that her life would probably
be shorter if she were allowed outside, but since she had such a strong
drive to go out, I felt that a longer and safer life indoors would also
have been an unbearable life. You can't protect them from everything. And
in the end, Smudge died of something that would have happened even if
she'd
spent every day of her life cooped up in my apartment.

Joyce

--
What business is it of the state how consenting adults choose to pair
off, share expenses and eventually stop having sex with each other?

I think most parents (and cat slaves) did (and do) what seems best. *My
parents knew where I was all the time. *I was hurt twice. *I broke my right
arm when I was 6 and sprained both arms when I was 8. *Both times I was in
my own back yard when it happened, and I went straight to my mother, who
took me to the doctor.

I knew where my kids were all the time, too. *My son and many of the
neighborhood kids often played in the large tree in my front yard. *I made
one rule - no bicycles or other implements *under the tree. *Luckily, none
of them ever fell out of the tree.

My two current cats are indoor only, because they were three years old when
I got them, and had always been indoors. *All my previous cats were
indoor/outdoor. *At one time, I did try keeping two of them inside, but they
were so miserable I decided to let them be free.

Joy-

Same here. My mom knew the general vicinity of where I was all the
time. We
did not live in a neighborhood but I *was* allowed to ride my horse
and later
Honda-90 to a friend's house a mile away. The only time my mom really
freaked out was once the horse came home without me. I had just let
the
reins drop after I got to the friend's house and I guess the horse got
tired
of waiting and came home. My mom's biggest fear wasn't that I'd get
snatched by strangers but that I'd end up kicked in the head and
laying
in a ditch somewhere. That's the phrase I remember most. "I thought
you were in a ditch somewhere."
Sherry

Joy July 3rd 11 02:09 AM

OT - Fireworks?

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Jul 2, 6:54 pm, "Joy" wrote:
wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

[...]

***

LOL! That sounds like a mother.

Joy

Yowie July 3rd 11 11:56 AM

OT - Fireworks?

On 3/07/2011 8:40 AM, wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Lesley wrote:

On Jul 2, 11:01 am, wrote:

You did forget "Special K".

That must be American over here "Special K" is a diet breakfast
cereal!

Here, too! (Where does it mean something else?)

It's a drug name in the US as well. I believe it's ketamine, but I might
be wrong. Ketamine is a heavy-duty animal trank, often used for anasthesia
during surgery.

I'm wondering what "Charlie" is, if it's not what American soldiers
called the North Vietnamese soldiers during the Vietnam war.

Surely it is 'Charlie Horse' aka Heroin?

And *what* are Catherine Wheels and Roman Candle?? It sounds like
someone's building a torture dungeon.

All types of UK fireworks explained: and why catherine wheels are called
catherine wheels (historic but gross)

http://epicfireworks.com/

Catherine wheels spin around under the force of the sparks, making the
illusion of a spiral or 'plate' of light. Roman candles shoot out a
series of coloured balls (or the like) into the air. They're the sort of
fireworks stupid teenagers aim at each other because they 'shoot'.

Yowie

Yowie July 3rd 11 12:44 PM

OT - Fireworks?

Lesley wrote:

[...]

Actually, thats not entirely true. Australians are, per capita, the
biggest emitters of carbon on this fair planet.

And I do
think people outside the US have every right to criticize it because
it affects them, too. This country has an abysmal energy policy.

But when people confuse American *policy* with American *people*, and
start critisizing or making fun of us as individuals, I really bristle
at that. How is that different from any other prejudice? We aren't all
alike, any more than members of any ethnic or national or racial group
are all alike.

You are right, Joyce, blaming individuals for the actions that their
country undertook is a form of racism, although its darn hard not to,
sometimes.

The USA is a democratic country. The people who make the decisions about
what *America* does was elected by *Americans*. Therefore, the actions
of America cannot be entirely decoupled from 'the will of the people'
(even if you personally disagree with those actions).

I'd love to chat with you some time about it all, but not in a public
forum. Its too sensitive a subject, and we'd be relying a lot on the
fact that we're friends and wouldn't say things with the intent to hurt
or to troll. This sort of stuff could easily be taken *way* out of
context. Feel free to e-mail me, though.

Yowie

Yowie July 3rd 11 12:46 PM

OT - Fireworks?

On 3/07/2011 8:47 AM, CatNipped wrote:
I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a place of such history -
any longer than a couple of centuries' worth.

You, like I, live in a country with many thousands of years of human
history. Its just not Western history.

Yowie

Lesley[_4_] July 3rd 11 12:53 PM

OT - Fireworks?

On Jul 2, 3:18*pm, wrote:

I don't understand. What did she say that was objectionable? I mean,
she was on the right track, wasn't she? Minnie *did* have a connection
with Angela, if not by blood, then by marriage, so how was this an
example of being an obnoxious tourist?

I didn't find them objectionable I just found it amusing they seemed
to expect there would be cheerful Cockney's like Dick Van Dyke in the
East End and we didn't go round saying "Lorr luvaduc" or have a pearly
king and queen on every street corner. I was just saying how after
I;d told them all the stories about how the match girls lived. the
suffragette connection etc the thing that really grabbed their
attention was the connection to a celebrity

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furball

Richard Casady July 3rd 11 01:49 PM

OT - Fireworks?

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 20:56:26 +1000, Yowie
wrote:

I'm wondering what "Charlie" is, if it's not what American soldiers
called the North Vietnamese soldiers during the Vietnam war.

The South Vietnamese Viet Cong were called Charlie, from the phonetic
alphabet. VC: Victor Charlie.

All the enemy were called Gomers. which was not an insult. Gook was.

Casady