CatBanter

-   -   Tom Cat won’t breed with in-season queen!?? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=89339)

dontcountstars June 19th 08 07:22 AM

Tom Cat won’t breed with in-season queen!??

I recently got a Queen to breed with my 3 year old tom cat. He is an
exceptional little guy in great health and I have guarenteed homes for
up to 7 kittens (just so you know im responsible!)

He often calls for a mate...howls etc whatever you like to call it,
yet now the queen is in season he is showing no interest at all. He is
very placid and seems almost worried or frightened when she squats in
front of him waggling her tail and growling excitedly. She has hissed
and smacked him in the past, could this have frightened him off?

I cant understand his complete lack of interest in mating, is it just
because he is inexperienced, or does this suggest it is a lost cause?

Also is there anything at all I can do?

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.PetForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.PetForumz.com/Tom-Cat-won...pict72305.html

dgk June 19th 08 12:55 PM

Tom Cat won’t breed with in-season queen!??

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 01:22:11 -0500, dontcountstars
wrote:

I recently got a Queen to breed with my 3 year old tom cat. He is an
exceptional little guy in great health and I have guarenteed homes for
up to 7 kittens (just so you know im responsible!)

He often calls for a mate...howls etc whatever you like to call it,
yet now the queen is in season he is showing no interest at all. He is
very placid and seems almost worried or frightened when she squats in
front of him waggling her tail and growling excitedly. She has hissed
and smacked him in the past, could this have frightened him off?

I cant understand his complete lack of interest in mating, is it just
because he is inexperienced, or does this suggest it is a lost cause?

Also is there anything at all I can do?

Maybe he's gay. I suppose you'll have him executed for failing to
provide you with saleable kittens?

Phil P. June 19th 08 01:40 PM

"dontcountstars" wrote in message
news:469773_03485fb6aca0f0175440dbaad4269feb@petfo rumz.com...
I recently got a Queen to breed with my 3 year old tom cat. He is an
exceptional little guy in great health and I have guarenteed homes for
up to 7 kittens (just so you know im responsible!)

How's that being responsible??? You're taking homes away from 7 kittens
that have already been born!

Do the feline species a favor- have him neutered.

Riannon via CatKB.com June 19th 08 06:45 PM

dontcountstars wrote:
I recently got a Queen to breed with my 3 year old tom cat. He is an
exceptional little guy in great health and I have guarenteed homes for
up to 7 kittens (just so you know im responsible!)
Also is there anything at all I can do?

Yes, you can get them spayed and neutered and not contribute to the
overpopulation of pets in this world. There are both ethical and medical
reasons why you should not have unaltered pets: Being a "responsible" pet
owner means not letting your pets mate with eachother:

http://www.vospca.org/archive/spayneut.html
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/wh..._your_pet.html

Riannon

cybercat June 19th 08 06:59 PM

Tom Cat won't breed with in-season queen!??

"dontcountstars" wrote in message
news:469773_03485fb6aca0f0175440dbaad4269feb@petfo rumz.com...
I recently got a Queen to breed with my 3 year old tom cat. He is an
exceptional little guy in great health and I have guarenteed homes for
up to 7 kittens (just so you know im responsible!)

There are at least 700 million beautiful cats and kittens who need homes
now.

ASSHOLE.

Phil P. June 19th 08 07:16 PM

Tom Cat won't breed with in-season queen!??

"dontcountstars" wrote in message
news:469773_03485fb6aca0f0175440dbaad4269feb@petfo rumz.com...

I cant understand his complete lack of interest in mating,

Probably because he doesn't want his offspring- or the offspring of his
offspring- or their offspring to end up he

http://maxshouse.com/Do_you_still_wa...d_your_cat.jpg

or he

http://maxshouse.com/convinced_not%20_to_breed_yet.jpg

Still want to breed him?

dontcountstars July 7th 08 06:22 PM

Tom Cat won't breed with in-season queen!??

Thankyou for your misjudged replies, however I’m doing nothing wrong.
Both cats are top quality pedigree from champion lines with health
checks and excellent temperament, and the people who want them aren’t
interested in non-pedigree/non-show kittens. That is their choice, and
something you would have to speak to them about. I am only interested
in finding top quality homes for any kittens I breed, and making sure
I do my part to only breed from the best possible cats, so as to
further the progression of the breed.

Just so you know, I also am well aware of the problem with
overpopulation, I do a lot of volutary work at the local animal
sanctuary on a weekly basis, I foster cats for the Cats Protection
League, rehabilitating those who have been abused and are scared of
people, and hand rearing unwanted kittens, then I advertise and rehome
them, after personally paying for all of their vaccinations so as to
help out the charity even more, and all in my spare time. I also
regularly perform fundraisers for the UK animal charities, in the form
of raffles, car boot sales, sponsered events and so on, and also work
for free on the cat buses which go round the area performing free
neuterings. (I’m a qualified veterinary nurse) Do you do anything to
help, other than harrass people online?

Pedigree breedings are not to blame for overpopulation and abandoned
animals, and without the continuation of the many hundreds of year old
pedigree lines, these breeds would completely die out and become
extinct, which would be a terrible loss for mankind.

So really, I resent your assumption that I am an irresponsible,
morally bankrupt person, and feel that perhaps you should not jump to
conclusions next time, and also work on a better way to get your
message across, other than being inappropriately rude when someone
asks an innocent question.

Have a nice day :)

Matthew[_3_] July 7th 08 07:55 PM

Tom Cat won't breed with in-season queen!??

Oh please go pound tar

news:470395_778fc3252a3d4ef52dbc34a2de84a519@0000. com...

CatNipped[_2_] July 7th 08 09:00 PM

Tom Cat won't breed with in-season queen!??

"dontcountstars" wrote in message
news:470395_778fc3252a3d4ef52dbc34a2de84a519@0000. com...

neuterings. (I'm a qualified veterinary nurse) Do you do anything to
help, other than harrass people online?

He he he! Got a couple of days to read a list of all that Phil P. does to
help cats?

Pedigree breedings are not to blame for overpopulation and abandoned
animals, and without the continuation of the many hundreds of year old
pedigree lines, these breeds would completely die out and become
extinct, which would be a terrible loss for mankind.

Which pedigree charactersitics are so beneficial to the cat population that
they should be perpetuated?

The smushed-in face of the Persian and Himalayan that causes problems like
breathing distress, eye tearing, and malocclusions? As a result of their
short and concave underlying facial bone structure, the lacrimal sac and the
nasolacrimal duct of most Persian cats is blocked at the lacrimal puncta,
causing an excessive coagulation of debris and an overflow of tears from the
lacrimal glands. Excessive tearing is a common characteristic of Persian
and Himalayan cats and is caused by abnormal drainage of tears and may
result in epiphora. The two lacrimal puncta are the small openings to the
canaliculi (ducts) leading to the lacrimal sac. The nasolacrimal duct drains
the sac into the nose. The ducts of the lacrimal system are already very
small in felines and the facial conformation of extremely short-nosed,
large-eyed cats, namely Persians and Himalayans, is the single most common
cause of occlusion (blockage) of the lacrimal system and resulting abnormal
drainage of tears. Consequently, because of the epiphora and the blocked
lacrimal system, Persian and Himalayan cats suffer from chronic eye
infections. Bacteria build up in the obstructed lacrimal passages and thrive
on the debris deposited from the coagulated tears, inducing chronic
conjunctivitis, with characteristic symptoms such as a brown, mucus-like
discharge from the eye, blinking, and an exposed third eyelid. Persians are
also prone to Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease.

How about the skeletal and other problems of Munchkins? A skeletal
condition called thoracic lordosis, causes back pain and pressure. Munchkins
are predisposed to compressions in the chest, which can put pressure on the
heart and lungs with sometime deadly results. They're also predisposed to
radial hypoplasia.

The Osteochondrodysplasia in Scottish Fold cats? If Scottish fold cats are
mated to other Scottish fold cats, many of the offspring developed a severe
crippling lameness early in life. Cats so affected had shortened, malformed
legs and radiographic abnormalities affecting the growth plates that could
be readily appreciated. As a result of this discovery, the breed was
outlawed by the Cat Fancy in the UK. Recent work conducted in Australia has
confirmed earlier work that the cartilage defect that causes the ears of
these cats to fold is transmitted as an autosomal dominant trait, but
established for the first time that heterozygous Scottish Fold cats
invariably become afflicted by a progressive arthritis that varies in
severity from Fold to Fold.

There is also Autosomal Recessive Problems in Devon Rex cats if you don't
like any of the above. Two important autosomally recessive conditions have
been reported in Devon Rex cats, and interestingly the research concerning
these diseases has been done mostly in Australia. 'Spasticity' as it is
known to breeders, refers to a congenital myopathy somewhat similar to the
human condition limb girdle muscular dystrophy. Work done in the UK
established that the condition was inherited in an autosomal recessive
fashion with complete penetrance. Affected cats usually show obvious signs
of a locomotor problem when six to 20 weeks of age. Muscle weakness is the
predominant feature, with prominent ventroflexion of the head and neck,
dorsal protrusion of the scapulae, head bobbing, megaoesophagus and
pharyngeal weakness. Affected cats have a generally unsatisfactory quality
of life and are at risk of sudden death due to obstruction of the
pharynx/larynx with food. Detailed studies done in collaboration with
Professor Clive Harper have shown the underlying problem to be a primary
muscle disorder, although the molecular basis of the condition has not yet
been determined.
Oh, hell, here's a list compiled for you including some I missed in the
above (data taken from Medical, Genetic, & Behavioral Aspects of Purebred
Cats; Ross D.Clark, DVM, Forum Publications, Fairway Kansas, 1992)...

Abyssinians? Renal amyloidosis, retinal atrophy, psychogenic alopecia,
patellarluxation.

American Shorthair? Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, polycystic kidney disease,
mucopolysaccharosidosis.

Bengal? Entropion.

Birman? Hip dysplasia, epibulbar dermoids

British Shorthair? Hemophilia

Burmese? Ocular dermoids, primary endocaridal
fibroelastosis,meningoencephalocele, keratoconjunctivitis sicca, erosion of
cartilage of third eyelid,lethal midfacial malformation.

Chartreux? Patellar luxation, hip dysplasia.

Cornish Rex? Hypothyroidism, hypotrichosis.

Devon Rex? Hypothyroidism, patellar luxation, hip dysplasia, hypotrichosis,
spasticity (prevents swallowing).

Himalayan? Cataracts, psychogenic alopecia, cutaneous asthenia, polycystic
kidneydisease.

Korat? Gangliosidosis.

Maine Coon? Pectus excavatum, patellar luxation, hip dysplasia,
hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Manx? Spina bifida, atresia ani, rectal prolapse, corneal dystrophy.

Persian? Chediak-Higashi syndrome, congenital ankyloblepharon,
entropion,congenital epiphora, primary glaucoma, mannosidosis, seborrhea,
polycystic kidneydisease, peripheral pseudocysts, patellar luxation, hip
dysplasia.

Ragdoll? Hypertrophic cardiomyopathyScottish Fold. Severe vertebral
abnormalities, prognathis, incapacitating joint diseasewith fold to fold
breeding, polycystic kidney disease.

Siamese? Feline hyperesthesia syndrome, feline endocrine alopecia,
adenocarcinomasof the small intestine, mucopolysaccharidosis,
gangliosidosis, malignant mammarytumors, numerous congenital heart defects
(PDA, aortic stenosis, AV valve malformation, pyloric stenosis, etc),
primary endocardial fibroelastosis, strabismus,nystagmus, sphingomyelinosis,
hydrocephalus, asthma, mast cell tumors, cutaneousasthenia, esophageal
hypomotility, cutaneous mastocytomas, hypotrichosis, glaucoma,cervical neck
lesions, hip dysplasia Somali.GingivitisSphinx.Spasticity, alopecia
universalis.

Tonkinese? Susceptible to upper respiratory infection, sensitivity to
vaccines.

Yes, indeed, there are so many reasons to keep breeding "pure-bred" cats
until, like over-bred dogs, every single breed has its concommitant (usually
painful, often deadly) defects - while perfectly healthy moggies are
euthanized for want of a home.

Hugs,

CatNipped

So really, I resent your assumption that I am an irresponsible,
morally bankrupt person, and feel that perhaps you should not jump to
conclusions next time, and also work on a better way to get your
message across, other than being inappropriately rude when someone
asks an innocent question.

There was no assumption, only fact - and *I* resent *you* and all you stand
for.

cybercat July 7th 08 09:12 PM

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"dontcountstars" wrote in message
news:470395_778fc3252a3d4ef52dbc34a2de84a519@0000. com...

neuterings. (I'm a qualified veterinary nurse) Do you do anything to
help, other than harrass people online?

He he he! Got a couple of days to read a list of all that Phil P. does to
help cats?

[Snips CN's excellent, detailed, thoughtful and accurate post.]

Good work! You will notice that I just killfile these assholes. I am
glad someone can be bothered to try to talk some sense into them.
I get too upset when I try, and when Mama ain't happy ain't
NOBODY happy. (In other words, I have to stop making assholes
like this so mad they try to hunt me down and hurt my feelings.)

:)