CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ferals (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=23452)

[email protected] January 11th 05 08:32 PM

ferals

I live in a area of townhouses. There is a small group of feral cats
that live in the area.I feed them and have a nice place outside for
them to shelter. I feel that I want to do more for them but I'm really
stumped. First of all, they live in a common area and they are
technically the responsibility of the owner's association. I think the
association considers them a nuisance and do not approve of my feeding
them. I'm fearful that if the association decides to take action they
will just be taken away to be euthanized.I could trap them and get them
spayed and neutered but that is a big expense for me. I'm retired and
don't have a lot of income.I can't find any feral group in this area
(southeastern PA) that can offer any help. Practical or financial.Any
ideas?

Holly via CatKB.com January 11th 05 08:47 PM

Shelly or Mary could more than likely answer this for you I belive one or both of them has a close affeliation with animal rescue or shelter groups. I think that it is great that you want to care for them. Some feed wild birds, we here like to feed the stray cats.

Marianne January 12th 05 12:59 AM

On 11 Jan 2005 12:32:54 -0800, wrote:

I live in a area of townhouses. There is a small group of feral cats
that live in the area.I feed them and have a nice place outside for
them to shelter. I feel that I want to do more for them but I'm really
stumped. First of all, they live in a common area and they are
technically the responsibility of the owner's association. I think the
association considers them a nuisance and do not approve of my feeding
them. I'm fearful that if the association decides to take action they
will just be taken away to be euthanized.I could trap them and get them
spayed and neutered but that is a big expense for me. I'm retired and
don't have a lot of income.I can't find any feral group in this area
(southeastern PA) that can offer any help. Practical or financial.Any
ideas?

If surgery for the females is too expensive, you might take a hint from
professional breeders and look into making the males into 'teaser toms' for
'sterile matings', by vasectomy. The first four links here have more info:
http://tinyurl.com/4zsmy

Margaret