CatBanter

-   -   Mad kitty! (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=8428)

Sherry October 23rd 04 03:52 AM

As I learned in a fire protection course some years ago. A cellar is more
than half below the ground level. A basement is less than half below.

I do say "go to the cellar" now and again.

Christopher A. Young

Here, a basement (hardly anyone has one)...is the room under your house. A
cellar is a tornado shelter, which is completley separate from the house. Also
called a "scare-hole."

Sherry

Sherry October 23rd 04 03:54 AM

(Hope you don't feel too self-concious, Baha! You'll soon find that we
do this sort of thing a fair amount around here. We love to point and
laugh at each other's odd expressions! Just kidding - but we do like to
compare them and sometimes analyze them.)

Absolutely! As someone who desperately tried not to sound like a hick when I
moved to the city, the first two words I learned *never* to say were "divan"
and "britches."

Sherry

Kreisleriana October 23rd 04 04:43 AM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:21:37 -0400, Singh
yodeled:

Yoj wrote:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:36:49 -0500, Jeanne Hedge
yodeled:

On 22 Oct 2004 15:31:21 -0700,
(Enfilade) wrote:

We ALWAYS say go down cellar. I'm from a community of German
immigrants who settled in Ontario. I still say that myself.

I don't know about "go down the cellar", but in southern New Jersey
people "go down the shore" instead of "go to the beach"

My partner is from Prince Edward Island where "go down to the
basement" is in use.

Here's another one--what's that big soft thing you sit on in the
living room? To us it's a couch, but my grandmother calls it "a
chesterfield."

My US Midwest (central Indiana) grandmother called it a "davenport",
while my other grandmother, also from the US Midwest (western Iowa),
called it a "couch".

Hey, what about "sofa" ? ;)

Theresa

We always called it a "davenport". I was floored when my son-in-law,
who is from Maine, asked, "What is a davenport?"

We had this thingie when I was really little, that my parents called a
"Hollywood Bed." I never quite figured what that meant, for as a small
child I assumed we kept beds in bedrooms, not living rooms. I was in my
late twenties before I learned that it's a daybed. I've never heard anyone
outside my family call it a Hollywood bed.

Blessed be,
Baha

I, um, Stinky has a day bed. ;)

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Yoj October 23rd 04 06:20 AM

Yowie wrote:

I always find it weird to hear the American term "I'll write you"

rather
than saying "I'll write *to* you". I don't know when the dropped

"to" or the
"to the" in your case above first started to be thought of as

correct
grammar in American English, but to these Commonweatlth English

ears, it
always sounds wrong.

What I find even weirder is the comparatively new "I could
care less", when what is so clearly meant is "I could NOT
care less"!

That one really bugs me!

Joy