CatBanter

-   -   People with Cat Allergies (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26993)

Elizabeth Blake May 7th 05 09:54 PM

People with Cat Allergies

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
news:1115491446.f63fd873382170d99f99e803a4e11856@t eranews...
Kami is always with me, even when she's not. I've had only a couple of
people have allergy symptoms when they were around me after I had been
with the cat. Has anyone else had this experience.

My 12 year old nephew is allergic, but apparently not to every cat because
he's got one of his own. My two cats trigger his allergies immediately.
This is not really a bad thing, as I prefer to keep him out of my apartment.
His sister has no problems and she can come visit any time. One day my
sister came by to pick me up and right after I got in her car my nephew
began sneezing, itching, eyes got all puffy & teary. My sister pointed out
that I had quite a bit of cat hair on me and that was probably the cuase,
because he had been fine before I got in the car.

My nephew sometimes does have a reaction to his cat, Peasy, but only if he's
been burying his face into her fur for extended periods of time. My sister
used to keep Peasy out of his room but after they had her for awhile, my
nephew's reactions were less severe. Now Peasy will often sleep in his bed
and he usually won't react.

Anyway, I was in the chair from 6:00 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. During that
time, my dentist, whom I know is allergic to cats (but he loves them...
from a distance) and very asthmatic, had to stop in the middle of this
work and actually hit his nebulizer. He was so near me for so long I
triggered his allery and asthma. He apologized to me, but I told him
ironically my cat has asthma, too, and I completely understand.

Next time you might want to change into clean clothes right before your
appointment, and make sure you don't pick up Kami before you leave. Still
might not solve the problem but maybe his reaction wouldn't be so bad.

--
Liz
always covered in cat fur

[email protected] May 8th 05 05:48 PM

I was allergic to cats, along with several other things, but when I
recently got tested, they said I'd finally built up my own immunity,
hurrah - Otis can now sleep on the bed again!

Mary May 8th 05 07:06 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was allergic to cats, along with several other things, but when I
recently got tested, they said I'd finally built up my own immunity,
hurrah - Otis can now sleep on the bed again!

Oh man, I hope this happens to me. I never did stop sleeping
with mine, and now I have severe asthma on top of the allergies.
The doctor said, when he saw the horror on my face at his suggestion
that I get rid of the cats, "well, perhaps you can just not replace
them when they die." Then, at the horror on my face cause by
the mere notion of "replacement" for my perfect cats, he said,
"Well, they don't live forever, do they?" At that point I thought
it best to change the subject. Definitely not a cat man. But he
is allergic to the same things I am and an asthmatic to boot, so
I trust him. With every thing but my cats!

[email protected] May 8th 05 08:11 PM

Brandy Alexandre wrote:
Kami is always with me, even when she's not. I've had only a couple

of
people have allergy symptoms when they were around me after I had

been
with the cat. Has anyone else had this experience.

Yes, sort of. When I quit work, my replacement could not sit in my
cubicle without having a bad allergy attack. She asked if the person
who sat there before had cats, and of course everybody knew I did. They
got rid of the upholstered computer chair and her symptoms disappeared.
Even though there was no visible hair on the chair, the allergen must
have been there.

Sherry