CatBanter

-   -   What Do you do? A Poll (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=23327)

jmcquown January 15th 05 10:27 PM

Tanada wrote:
Mathew Kagis wrote:

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote
in message

Is there a no-alcohol option? :-)

Zaphod Beeblebrox would hang both his heads & weep....

Yes, but some of us cannot have alcohol. I was offered a virgin
Strawberry/banana daiquiri at Chili's the other day. I was flattered,
but turned it down. Mike, however, loved the alcoholic one he got.
I'm hoping that he didn't inherit the alcoholism gene from me.

Pam S. alcoholic and diabetic

Virgin daquiri's are quite good - well, the sugar might not sit well with
your diabetes.

Jill

Yowie January 15th 05 10:37 PM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Tanada wrote:
Mathew Kagis wrote:

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote
in message

Is there a no-alcohol option? :-)

Zaphod Beeblebrox would hang both his heads & weep....

Yes, but some of us cannot have alcohol. I was offered a virgin
Strawberry/banana daiquiri at Chili's the other day. I was flattered,
but turned it down. Mike, however, loved the alcoholic one he got.
I'm hoping that he didn't inherit the alcoholism gene from me.

Pam S. alcoholic and diabetic

Virgin daquiri's are quite good - well, the sugar might not sit well with
your diabetes.

I like Virgin Mary's *more* than Bloody Marys, really can't taste much of a
difference between a non-alcoholic margarita and one with alcohol. In fact,
I really don't a fig abouu alcojol in any liquer - it is *honestly* all
about taste.

Wine is different, non-alocholic wine tastes bloody aweful.

Yowie

CK January 15th 05 10:43 PM

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

From a friend who was a newspaper typesetter, I learned that it was
quite common, in the US, to have deaf Linotype operators -- it was
considered an advantage for the high noise environment of those
machines. Hearing typesetters were generally not accepted until they had
at least working sign language fluency.

Was this the case in other countries?

Not as far as I know, at least concerning Finland, but then again I was
around 10-12 years old when my mom worked for that company. I only
remember her complaining about the noise.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com

jmcquown January 15th 05 10:50 PM

Tanada wrote:
Lorraine wrote:
I am currently owned by three lively kitties, Lucy, Indie and Ty.
They just took over the household last month after they all spent
time at a shelter.

And, we rarely end our sentences
with prepositions...not.

Pam S. owned by the Fayetteville Five + Calvin the foster cat and
Speedy the d-thing

LOL! Reminds me of one of the few jokes I can remember. Southern U.S.
woman is sitting in the airport waiting area next to a northern U.S. woman.
The southern woman asks the northern woman, "So, where are you from?" The
northern woman sniffs and replies, "I am FROM where we don't end our
sentences with a preposition." The southern woman thinks about this a
moment, then says sweetly, "Okay, where are you from, bitch?" ;)

Jill

jmcquown January 15th 05 10:51 PM

Helen Miles wrote:
"badwilson" wrote in message

We plan to move to Australia eventually, Dennis
will do his tours from there and I want to work part time in a
winery. --
Britta//

Can i come visit? I'm sure I could help you sample the winery produce
to check it's up to par! ;o)

Helen M

I'll help! And I promise not to spit the tastings on anyones shoes!

Jill

dsh-diva January 15th 05 10:59 PM

What an interesting thread. We have so many intelligent, talented folks
in this newsgroup. I've just been lurking for a long time, not able to
post like I used to, but here's my story. I have a degree in Voice
Performance with a specialty of opera. I work as a purchasing agent for
a small office supply company, have had a a job as a soprano soloist for
a Baptist church in Baltimore for many years and I sing with the
Baltimore opera. I also have a real estate business in which I buy
houses, rehab them and sell them. I am slave to two sisters, Xena and
Callisto, and I'm exhausted. :) Jennie

polonca12000 wrote:
Mostly secretarial work.
Best wishes,

Nina K Pettis January 15th 05 11:04 PM

I'm a freelance proofreader/copyeditor; this Wednesday, January 19th, I
will be celebrating the ninth anniversary of owning my own business. My
office is in my house, so I get to see my feline masters frequently
throughout the day. They're very helpful, too; if I lose track of the
time and it gets too close to 6 p.m., Kyle will play patty-paws on the
office door until I stop working and come dish up dinner.

Nina in Texas, servant to: Snickelfritz (RB), Pixel (RB 12/03), Rusty
(RB 9/9/04), Seth (RB 12/27/04), Skeeter, Kyle, and Jake -- Lucas moved
out today, and everything is going extremely well so far!
--
Professional proofreading doesn’t cost – it pays!
www.ninaproofs.com

Tish Silberbauer January 15th 05 11:26 PM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:16:14 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

IMHO, you can't beat an Aussie red. The best one I've ever had was Orlando
Lawson's Padathaway Shiraz (1989) but on the same token, it was AUS$90 per
bottle (worth every cent!), but for plain old value for money, we like
McGuigins's "Black Label Red" for general everyday use.

Yowie

The best "budget" red I've had (that I can remember the name of!) is a
Wirra Wirra Church Block Cabernet Sauvignon / Merlot blend. A South
Australian wine. I think it was a mid-90s year. At the time it was
about $25 (Australian) / bottle and was just lovely. I've never had
really expensive red wine, but I once had a taste of some Dom Perignon
champagne and thought it was *faaabulous*!

At the moment, being summer, Dave and I are enjoying a Moondah Brooke
Verdelho (dry white wine) from Western Australia. At $14/bottle and a
very enjoyable drop, we decided to get a case so that we wouldn't have
to keep going back to the bottle o'.

Tish

Mathew Kagis January 15th 05 11:36 PM

Absinthe is legal?!

Jill

It is in Canada... t's a slightly more sterilized version than Van Gogh was
drinking when he cut off his ear... But it still packs a punch.
--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Kreisleriana January 15th 05 11:51 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:50:57 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Tanada wrote:
Lorraine wrote:
I am currently owned by three lively kitties, Lucy, Indie and Ty.
They just took over the household last month after they all spent
time at a shelter.

And, we rarely end our sentences
with prepositions...not.

Pam S. owned by the Fayetteville Five + Calvin the foster cat and
Speedy the d-thing

LOL! Reminds me of one of the few jokes I can remember. Southern U.S.
woman is sitting in the airport waiting area next to a northern U.S. woman.
The southern woman asks the northern woman, "So, where are you from?" The
northern woman sniffs and replies, "I am FROM where we don't end our
sentences with a preposition." The southern woman thinks about this a
moment, then says sweetly, "Okay, where are you from, bitch?" ;)

Jill

One of my favorites. ;)

Theresa