CatBanter

-   -   kitten does not clean self (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=12476)

miracatta August 2nd 03 04:58 AM

kitten does not clean self

We have a kitten, about 4-5 months old, who is perfect in every way,
except that he does not clean himself very well, and reeks of urine
almost all the time. He is a white cat. His fur is more like rabbit
fur than cat fur, very silky and medium long.
He is very meticulous about using his litter and never soils the
house. But, it is difficult to pick him up and hold him because he
just smells awful. We presently fill the bathroom sink with lukewarm
water and slosh his bottom around, which helps, although he hates it.
We are hoping the smell goes away a bit when he is neutered.
What could we do to encourage him to be cleaner? We had a cat with far
longer and denser hair, and this was never a problem. We love to hold
him, but we are all beginning to smell like cat boxes.

[email protected] August 2nd 03 06:58 AM

We are hoping the smell goes away a bit
when he is neutered. What could we do to
encourage him to be cleaner?

The fact that your cat is not neutered *is* the reason for the strong
smell. There is nothing worse than the smell of tomcat urine and this is
what you are smelling. Your kitty is old enough to be neutered and you
should do it now. The smell will subside as his hormone levels decrease
after the operation. It usually takes a few weeks.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Mira August 2nd 03 08:15 PM

On 1 Aug 2003 20:58:10 -0700, (miracatta) wrote:

We have a kitten, about 4-5 months old, who is perfect in every way,
except that he does not clean himself very well, and reeks of urine
almost all the time. [...]

I agree with Zuzu, and also want to ask if there is a possibility he
was removed from his mother and siblings too early to learn good
grooming habits.

KellyH August 3rd 03 03:59 AM

"Mira" wrote in message
s.com...
On 1 Aug 2003 20:58:10 -0700, (miracatta) wrote:

We have a kitten, about 4-5 months old, who is perfect in every way,
except that he does not clean himself very well, and reeks of urine
almost all the time. [...]

I agree with Zuzu, and also want to ask if there is a possibility he
was removed from his mother and siblings too early to learn good
grooming habits.

I've seen bath wipes (kinda look like baby wipes) in pet supply catalogs
before. That might be easier than giving him a bath in water. I would also
have him checked out by a vet to make sure there isn't a medical reason for
the smell. Do you ever see him grooming? Just wondering if it's really a
grooming problem or something medical. I can't imagine that a cat would
smell like urine, even if he's not grooming well. I mean, they don't pee
all over themselves whe using the litterbox. Anyway, check out the wipes
for a quick fix, but definitely see a vet, and it's not too early for
neutering, either.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Sharon Talbert August 4th 03 08:39 PM

The smell will definitely abate when he is neutered, and it is high time
he was nuetered, actually.

Trimming his backside a bit might help as well, though that would be a
pity.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org