CatBanter

-   -   Ping: Tweed - OT chickens (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=109163)

MaryL[_2_] March 5th 13 10:35 PM

Ping: Tweed - OT chickens

I thought of you when I heard a local news report last night. We have a lot
of people in this area who keep a few backyard chickens, and the report
talked about a woman who has a small business as a "chicken sitter." So,
just as I use a pet sitter when I go on vacation (or once when I was in the
hospital), people who have chickens and can't be home use her to take care
of their chickens. She feeds them, puts them in at night, gathers eggs,
etc. I thought this might interest you.

MaryL

Christina Websell March 10th 13 08:50 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

"MaryL" wrote in message
I thought of you when I heard a local news report last night. We have a
lot of people in this area who keep a few backyard chickens, and the report
talked about a woman who has a small business as a "chicken sitter." So,
just as I use a pet sitter when I go on vacation (or once when I was in the
hospital), people who have chickens and can't be home use her to take care
of their chickens. She feeds them, puts them in at night, gathers eggs,
etc. I thought this might interest you.

MaryL

Hi, Mary

I've replied to this twice but for some some reason it hasn't appeared
either time. So here goes again:

Thank you for sending this, it was very interesting. We don't seem to have
the same pet-sitting culture here as you do in the USA. Pet sitters do
exist but are few and far between.

I wouldn't mind being a chicken-sitter, but I'd be reluctant unless they
were very nearby (like next door) because of the terrible daytime fox
problem we have. I'd hate it if my clients got home to find all their
chickens were ex-chickens.

In the last few weeks a fox has entered a house and eaten the finger off a
month old baby. Add this to a couple of years ago another fox went into a
house and did some severe facial damage to baby twins. There is now a call
for a cull of foxes in London.
Once upon a time, before some of the nature programmes on the telly that
encourage people to feed them, foxes were afraid of humans and only roamed
around during the night - which is how it should be IMO.
Tweed

MaryL[_2_] March 10th 13 09:08 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks, Tweed. Your message came through this time. We do have a lot of
pet sitters, but chicken sitters are rather unusual. I have a friend who
was hospitalized for several weeks in December. She has cats, a dog,
horses, two burros, chickens and a few ducks. Luckily, someone who lives
near her was able to take care of all the "critters" while she was ill.

Your description of problems with foxes is why I think we should not feed
wild animals. I love to look at them, but feeding them destroys their fear
of humans. That, in turn, becomes a danger both to humans and to the
animals who have lost their fear.

MaryL

Christina Websell March 10th 13 11:09 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

The problem with foxes is that they look like nice dogs,so why not feed
them? Because they aren't nice at all.
I have no problem with them if they pass through my garden.

When they were killing my chickens in the day I got annoyed and arranged
for them to get a piece of lead in their ear. 39 of them bit the dust.
I am not proud of that, but it was necessary.
If you'd seen my poor cockerel bruised up all over his body to try and save
his girls you might have killed the fox yourself with your bare hands. He
died. Trying.

MaryL[_2_] March 10th 13 11:55 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

~~~~~~~
Wow! That's a *lot* of foxes. We have them here, but I have only seen a
few of them in my life. Of course, they tend to come out after dark, so
there are probably a lot more that I am not aware of. We also have coyotes
(east Texas), and they are deadly for cats and small dogs that are let
outside after dark. I remember my grandmother putting all her chickens in
the chicken coop every evening to protect them from foxes (northeast Ohio).
She would "cluck" to her chickens, and they would all follow her inside.

MaryL

Christina Websell March 11th 13 12:53 AM

Tweed - OT chickens

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

and here it is:
http://news.sky.com/story/1050008/fo...-in-cot-attack

note the wildlife presenter's views.

I rest my case.
Foxes are fine, in their place, which is being afraid of humans and skulking
around during the night. Not being fed and made bold and that's what can
happen if you do.

My foxes are not too bold here, as if they are a nuisance they meet foxman
who introduces them to his firearm.
They are not a nuisance if they pass through my garden on their way to
somewhere else. They *are* a nuisance if they start looking at my chickens
and trying to dig in to them under the runs or huts. They can't get in
unless they can dig through paving slabs or through steel plated huts anyway
but if I see a sign that they are trying..they need to be afraid.

MaryL[_2_] March 11th 13 01:53 AM

Tweed - OT chickens

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

and here it is:
http://news.sky.com/story/1050008/fo...-in-cot-attack

note the wildlife presenter's views.

I rest my case.
Foxes are fine, in their place, which is being afraid of humans and skulking
around during the night. Not being fed and made bold and that's what can
happen if you do.

My foxes are not too bold here, as if they are a nuisance they meet foxman
who introduces them to his firearm.
They are not a nuisance if they pass through my garden on their way to
somewhere else. They *are* a nuisance if they start looking at my chickens
and trying to dig in to them under the runs or huts. They can't get in
unless they can dig through paving slabs or through steel plated huts anyway
but if I see a sign that they are trying..they need to be afraid.

~~~~~~~~
That's a true horror story. I'm glad they were able to reattach the baby's
finger and that the mother was able to prevent even worse injury.

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_] March 11th 13 12:46 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

On 3/10/2013 5:08 PM, MaryL wrote:

[...]

There are signs all over the island where I live (by the many stocked
ponds). "Do Not Feed the Alligators!". My mom told me when they first
started building homesites here (@30 years ago) people thought they were
quaint. Then dogs started going missing. Now, of course, the
Association has strict leash laws.

Jill

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) March 11th 13 05:20 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

Christina Websell wrote:
"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

We have problems in the American Southwest with people feeding (or
making garbage accessible to) bears. That has resulted in a number of
bear attacks in suburban areas where humans are more and more invading
the bears' territory. There are organizations that try to relocate the
offending animals, rather than destroying them, but bears aren't stupid.
(Once they've found an easy source of food, they tend to return, and
they can travel fairly long distances.)

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) March 11th 13 05:29 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

jmcquown wrote:

There are signs all over the island where I live (by the many stocked
ponds). "Do Not Feed the Alligators!". My mom told me when they first
started building homesites here (@30 years ago) people thought they were
quaint. Then dogs started going missing. Now, of course, the
Association has strict leash laws.

Jill

Never mind dogs, what about humans? There's a series on Animal Planet
about some people who have a Florida refuge for 'gators. Some of those
they "rescue" could easily consume an adult human! (And of course,
there are the non-native reptiles like pythons - some as long as twelve
feet - that irresponsible "pet owners" let loose in the Everglades when
they grow too big to keep as pets.)

jmcquown[_2_] March 11th 13 06:26 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

On 3/11/2013 1:29 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

There are signs all over the island where I live (by the many stocked
ponds). "Do Not Feed the Alligators!". My mom told me when they first
started building homesites here (@30 years ago) people thought they
were quaint. Then dogs started going missing. Now, of course, the
Association has strict leash laws.

Jill

Never mind dogs, what about humans? There's a series on Animal Planet
about some people who have a Florida refuge for 'gators. Some of those
they "rescue" could easily consume an adult human! (And of course,
there are the non-native reptiles like pythons - some as long as twelve
feet - that irresponsible "pet owners" let loose in the Everglades when
they grow too big to keep as pets.)

Those folks with the sensational television shows should succumb to
Darwinism. Ditto people with non-native snakes. But this isn't the
Everglades and snakes like that aren't a problem around here.

The alligators here aren't like crocodiles from the 1930's 'Tarzan'
films, either. People don't bother them, they don't bother us. I
called Security when a 'gater was in my yard a year or so ago. (My house
isn't near one of those ponds or the marsh.) They sent someone to
"relocate" it.

Jill

Christina Websell March 11th 13 09:51 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

"MaryL" wrote in message
That's a true horror story. I'm glad they were able to reattach the
baby's finger and that the mother was able to prevent even worse injury.

MaryL

It's a result of feeding them.

No foxes are fed here. If they even look at my chickens and try to break in
they have such bad luck. Foxman comes and they are gone.

Christina Websell March 12th 13 06:56 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

We have problems in the American Southwest with people feeding (or making
garbage accessible to) bears. That has resulted in a number of bear
attacks in suburban areas where humans are more and more invading the
bears' territory. There are organizations that try to relocate the
offending animals, rather than destroying them, but bears aren't stupid.
(Once they've found an easy source of food, they tend to return, and they
can travel fairly long distances.)

I'm lucky we don't have bears here, eh? IMO any wild creature that can pose
a threat to humans should never be fed, it habituates them to not be afraid
of us and that's when we get the problems.
I would ban any TV programmes that suggest "why don't you feed your local
foxes and here is someone doing it, look how nice they are"
Foxes are not nice in the conventional sense of trustworthy doggies. They
are fine as wild animals.
I expect some people will carry on feeding but if they do, they might come
into your house and bite your babies.

I have a different view from the townie-type TV presenters.
It's not that I don't like foxes, but if they become a nuisance to me foxman
will send them to RB.

Bastette March 14th 13 07:49 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

Christina Websell wrote:

I would ban any TV programmes that suggest "why don't you feed your local
foxes and here is someone doing it, look how nice they are"
Foxes are not nice in the conventional sense of trustworthy doggies. They
are fine as wild animals.
I expect some people will carry on feeding but if they do, they might come
into your house and bite your babies.

The problem is, even if only some people feed them, they become habituated
to *all* humans. Then, even people who have been responsible and have
refrained from feeding them might still get a visit from a fox. The foxes
aren't going to limit themselves to the babies of people who feed them. :)

So if someone is continuing to feed foxes or other wild animals, it can
affect everyone. It should be illegal!

It's unfortunate that it has to come to you bringing in the fox hitman, but
on the other hand, that might reintroduce some fear in the surviving foxes.

--
Joyce

Loneliness is comforted by the closeness and touch of fur to fur,
skin to skin, or -- skin to fur. -- Paul Gallico

Christina Websell March 14th 13 08:59 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

It became pointless when foxman told me that the city vermin controllers,
instead of doing their job, were releasing foxes near here.
So I put my birds into safe houses.

He knew that because he knows what *my * foxes look like. they are country
foxes, mine are dark and slim and the ones were caught were light in colour
and fat.
(not to say a country fox has not met his match here)

The worst was I caught a big fat city fox in my fox trap once. He was
asleep when I discovered him and hardly raised an eyebrow when I discovered
him.
I felt really bad about that one - but he was in my hen run..

Cheryl[_3_] March 18th 13 05:02 AM

Tweed - OT chickens

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

The story Tweed wrote is horrendous. I don't think a fox could get in
my house, so I wonder how they get in? Your view about feeding wild
animals should also pertain to feeding birds, but it's hard to stop
feeding them when you enjoy watching them through your window. I
stopped feeding birds because the food not only attracted birds, but
squirrels, and encouraged the squirrels to bear their young here. Both
the birds and the baby squirrels encouraged the large population of
stray/feral cats in the area and while I love cats, I don't want to draw
them here for a feeding fest.

Cheryl[_3_] March 18th 13 05:11 AM

Tweed - OT chickens

and here it is:
http://news.sky.com/story/1050008/fo...-in-cot-attack

note the wildlife presenter's views.

I rest my case.
Foxes are fine, in their place, which is being afraid of humans and skulking
around during the night. Not being fed and made bold and that's what can
happen if you do.

I read the article, and I don't understand why the door was left open??
If a door is open, it's going to attract something to come in, right?

Christina Websell March 18th 13 05:26 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...

and here it is:
http://news.sky.com/story/1050008/fo...-in-cot-attack

note the wildlife presenter's views.

I rest my case.
Foxes are fine, in their place, which is being afraid of humans and
skulking
around during the night. Not being fed and made bold and that's what can
happen if you do.

I read the article, and I don't understand why the door was left open?? If
a door is open, it's going to attract something to come in, right?

Well, no, not usually here, unless it's a too brave fox or someone's cat who
realises "whoops, that's not my house.."

I had this brilliant idea when I was lying awake last night. Why don't the
London councils offer a "vitamin powder" to the fox-feeders to add to the
food which is really a contraceptive?
A campaign on the local London TV to say "if you feed foxes, get this
supplement, it will do them good." would be great.
It would indeed do them good. It would mean that they do not breed out of
control and sneak into houses to attack tiny children in their beds.
UK residents should be able to have their door open without expecting foxes
inside their house. If they feed them, this will happen.

Christina Websell March 18th 13 06:00 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

eb.com...

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

continue feeding the birds and the cats. Squirrels (grey) not welcome here
but I've not instructed foxman to anything about them.
As for foxes, well, I had to get my birds into safe huts and runs after a
real daytime disaster. 22 killed. That was dreadful. Some had managed to
hide, most had their heads off.
If I see a fox near I get foxman in. He has a nice rifle.

Cheryl[_3_] March 18th 13 08:22 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

eb.com...

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

I remember when you wrote about the chicken massacre. That must have
been so horrible to see.

I'm still choosing not to feed the birds. In one way I liked having the
stray/feral cats around because they were very effective at killing
rodents and sometimes I'd even hear the little mice or voles screaming
in the night and knew it was because of a cat. But then again, my house
is right on a very busy road and I didn't like seeing so many dead cats
that had been hit by cars. So I would rather they stay away.

MaryL[_2_] March 18th 13 09:34 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

eb.com...

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

I stopped feeding birds at my former house because I felt like I was
providing a smorgasbord of birds for neighboring cats. Once I moved into
this house (about 15 years ago), I started feeding them again. I have an 8
foot cedar fence around the back yard, and it is very rare to see a cat
inside the fence. I get a wide variety of birds, and I love watching them.
I use squirrel proof feeders, and they have been very effective. The
squirrels still get plenty to eat--I have some nut trees, and the squirrels
get seed that the birds kick out of the feeders. I enjoy looking at the
antics of the squirrels, but I could not afford the amount of food they
would eat if I used feeders that they could get into. They are little
gluttons!

MaryL

Christina Websell March 18th 13 11:39 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

It made me sick to do it as I like all animals. I did not want to have the
foxes shot, but needs must.
Something will need to be done about city foxes by the government soon.
My problem is that I live 5 miles from a city and the vermin controllers
trap them in the city and let them out two or three fields away from my
house.
Then they have a problem, no discarded fish and chips or McDonalds. Then
they get hungry and because they have no idea how to hunt in the countryside
they make themselves a nuisance around my chickens, and then they find
themselves at foxy RB.
Sad, isn't it?
We need a fox control programme in our cities which doesn't involve letting
them out *in the countryside* in the hope they can survive. ~They can't.

Cheryl[_3_] March 18th 13 11:48 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

It made me sick to do it as I like all animals. I did not want to
have the foxes shot, but needs must. Something will need to be done
about city foxes by the government soon. My problem is that I live 5
miles from a city and the vermin controllers trap them in the city
and let them out two or three fields away from my house. Then they
have a problem, no discarded fish and chips or McDonalds. Then they
get hungry and because they have no idea how to hunt in the
countryside they make themselves a nuisance around my chickens, and
then they find themselves at foxy RB. Sad, isn't it? We need a fox
control programme in our cities which doesn't involve letting them
out *in the countryside* in the hope they can survive. ~They can't.

I rarely see foxes here, but a couple of years ago I saw one across the
street in a neighbors yard. Beautiful animals! But then, I don't have
chickens that would need protection from them, so my view is different
from your deserved one. I do agree with you that it's cruel to set
them free where they have no experience hunting for food. :(

jmcquown[_2_] March 22nd 13 01:52 PM

Feeding Critters (WAS: Tweed - OT chickens)

On 3/18/2013 5:34 PM, MaryL wrote:
I stopped feeding birds at my former house because I felt like I was
providing a smorgasbord of birds for neighboring cats. Once I moved
into this house (about 15 years ago), I started feeding them again. I
have an 8 foot cedar fence around the back yard, and it is very rare to
see a cat inside the fence. I get a wide variety of birds, and I love
watching them. I use squirrel proof feeders, and they have been very
effective. The squirrels still get plenty to eat--I have some nut
trees, and the squirrels get seed that the birds kick out of the
feeders. I enjoy looking at the antics of the squirrels, but I could
not afford the amount of food they would eat if I used feeders that they
could get into. They are little gluttons!

MaryL

I feed the birds because yes, they are great fun to watch. It's been a
hobby of mine for many years and I participate in bird counts. Of
course Persia likes to chatter at them :) Fortunately the only cat who
comes to my back yard is Schwartzie and he doesn't seem much interested
in catching birds.

I don't purposely feed the squirrels but they get their fill just the
same. I had to take down the feeder because of raccoons. Raccoons are
known to be natural born thieves and not just because of that cute
little bandit mask. First I had a nice terra cotta feeder that hung by
three metal chains joined together by a ring at the top. Raccoons
knocked it down, ate the food and stole the chains! After a while I
gave up on hanging feeders. One night when I heard a noise out back. I
pulled back the curtain and looked out the glass door... there were
*five* raccoons staring back at me. I looked towards the golf course
and here came another one, then another one. OMG! (laughing)

But back to squirrels. My neighbors keep telling me it never rains
here. I've lived here for six years and I don't know what they're
talking about. Maybe it only rains over my house? LOL A couple of
years ago I got some covers to put over my patio chairs to keep the
cushions from getting soaked. Similar to these:

http://tinyurl.com/cg3un8b

The chair covers had some sort of fluffy cotton batting on the
underside. Well, the squirrels discovered this fluffy stuff last year.
They ripped those chair covers to pieces to get at the fluff to line
their nests. I removed the chair covers a week or so ago and boy did I
get yelled at... by a squirrel! :)

Jill

Ann791 March 22nd 13 03:13 PM

On 3/22/2013 9:52 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

My mother has to bring in her bird feeder every night. There is
something around at night that will get into it. She lives in the
country so it could be any thing.

Ann

Mishi[_2_] March 22nd 13 03:58 PM

Ping: Tweed - OT chickens

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:35:47 PM UTC-5, MaryL wrote:
I thought of you when I heard a local news report last night. We have a lot

of people in this area who keep a few backyard chickens, and the report

talked about a woman who has a small business as a "chicken sitter." So,

just as I use a pet sitter when I go on vacation (or once when I was in the

hospital), people who have chickens and can't be home use her to take care

of their chickens. She feeds them, puts them in at night, gathers eggs,

etc. I thought this might interest you.

MaryL

Ann, we have to bring in our feeder every night, because the deer will clean it out! We tried hanging it high up in the tree, but they stand on their hind legs and lick the seed out of the feeder. I don't mind feeding birds, but the deer can empty 5 pounds of seed from the feeder in a short time!

Mishi

Christina Websell March 22nd 13 05:36 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

"Cheryl" wrote in message
b.com...

[...]

They are very nice to look at. That's most of the problem.
It's why people feed them and then when they become a nuisance they ask
vermin controllers to come in to trap them alive, which they do.
Unfortunately most city vermin men don't have the gonads to kill them in the
traps so they let them out near people like myself on the edge of the
countryside. Oh, thank you *so* much. They are more up for wasps, mice and
woodworm and should refuse the job of controlling nuisance foxes.
It became pointless to even try to keep chickens here unless in Fort
Knox-type runs and huts.

after Foxman & myself had sent 39 foxes to RB in my catch alive trap, he
said "you are getting them released from the city"

Worst one was a huge butterball fat fox in my trap. In my hen run having
been dumped near here. I found him in the morning, curled up happily in the
trap and he hardly raised his eyebrow when he saw me, he was expecting some
breakfast from me, like "oh thank goodness you have come.."
Just let's say he didn't get his breakfast and it's the fault of people who
feed them.
I felt, well, imagine it for yourself.

MaryL[_2_] March 22nd 13 06:19 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
b.com...

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~
Do you think it would help to write a letter to whatever department is
responsible for trapping them within the city? Let them know what a
nuisance foxes are when they are released in the countryside, and also
describe the fate that awaits them. Of course, I am also familiar with how
private citizens within the city will often take little cats and dogs and
release them in the country. I live in the city now, but this was a problem
for us when I was growing up in the country. There was one year when *13*
cats and kittens were dumped in our front yard. People seem to assume that
those who live in the country have "plenty of room" for them, but most
animals that are dumped that way are destined for a painful death. We fed
the cats that were abandoned in that way, but most do not. By the end of
that summer, all the cats except our own died because one of them had
brought in disease, so only our vaccinated cats were protected. We could
not afford to vaccinate all the cats that had been abandoned.

MaryL

Christina Websell March 22nd 13 08:16 PM

Tweed - OT chickens

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
b.com...

[...]

No. As long as they don't have to deal with it. But this is the second time
in London that foxes have got into a house and bitten tiny babies. It's up
to them what they do about it.

My preference is that foxes who attack babies should get a piece of lead
inserted into their ear. Instantly. but city controllers cannot bring
themselves to do it. so they let the foxes out near me.
Luckily I have a man who can.

Christina Websell March 23rd 13 06:42 PM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 3/18/2013 5:34 PM, MaryL wrote:
I stopped feeding birds at my former house because I felt like I was
providing a smorgasbord of birds for neighboring cats. Once I moved
into this house (about 15 years ago), I started feeding them again. I
have an 8 foot cedar fence around the back yard, and it is very rare to
see a cat inside the fence. I get a wide variety of birds, and I love
watching them. I use squirrel proof feeders, and they have been very
effective. The squirrels still get plenty to eat--I have some nut
trees, and the squirrels get seed that the birds kick out of the
feeders. I enjoy looking at the antics of the squirrels, but I could
not afford the amount of food they would eat if I used feeders that they
could get into. They are little gluttons!

MaryL

Quick tip for anyone who doesn't have squirrel proof feeders, add chilli
powder to your seed mix. Birds can't taste it but squirrels sure can..

dgk March 25th 13 02:05 PM

Feeding Critters (WAS: Tweed - OT chickens)

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 09:52:19 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

Well, put out some fluffy cotton for them. Those nests should be comfy
for the newborn squirrels.

I feed the birds all winter and even provide a heated bird bath. I try
to let the feed run out before I let my cats into the yard but it
doesn't always work out so sometimes the cats are back there when the
birds are feeding. There aren't many accidents really. The birds are
fairly wary when the cats are out and the cats aren't terribly
interested in getting a bird. Espy was the big problem and he's
crossed the bridge. Scooter would like a bird but not enough to make a
bit effort.