CatBanter

-   -   Cheaper alternative to Hill's Prescription Diet Feline K/D? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=18764)

googler July 16th 04 04:58 AM

Cheaper alternative to Hill's Prescription Diet Feline K/D?

Hello,

My 18 year old cat was just diagnosed with "typical" kidney
disfunction for his age and was prescribed Hill's Prescription Diet
Feline K/D soft food. They are charging $1.50 a can (5.5 oz), and I
can't really afford that. I am used to the 3 or 4 for a dollar cans.
I checked the ingredient list and I didn't see anything that is
"prescription" in the list (no drugs)...just the stuff that is in
regular food, but in different percentages.

So my question is, is there another brand out there that costs less
and has similar ingredients? Or maybe a place where I can buy it for
(much) less than $1.50 a can?

Thanks so much!
Bob

Karen July 16th 04 02:29 PM

Well, you could call to different vets in your area and find their price. It
may vary a bit but not much I imagine. Will your cat EAT the k/d? At 18, I'd
sure be tempted to jsut let kitty eat what it likes.

Karen

om...

GAUBSTER2 July 16th 04 04:02 PM

From: (googler)

My 18 year old cat was just diagnosed with "typical" kidney
disfunction for his age and was prescribed Hill's Prescription Diet
Feline K/D soft food. They are charging $1.50 a can (5.5 oz), and I
can't really afford that. I am used to the 3 or 4 for a dollar cans.
I checked the ingredient list and I didn't see anything that is
"prescription" in the list (no drugs)...just the stuff that is in
regular food, but in different percentages.

One of the problems that may have caused/exacerbated your cat's renal
disfunction is the long term usage of low quality cat foods such as what you
described. There aren't drugs in prescription diets. Nutrient levels are
adjusted to take into account kidney health. For example, Feline k/d has
increased fatty acids, increased buffering, lower phosphorus, etc. Quit being
so stubborn about price and do what is best for your cat.

So my question is, is there another brand out there that costs less
and has similar ingredients?

It's not the ingredients that matter in this case, it's the nutrients!

Cathy Friedmann July 16th 04 04:25 PM

"googler" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

My 18 year old cat was just diagnosed with "typical" kidney
disfunction for his age and was prescribed Hill's Prescription Diet
Feline K/D soft food. They are charging $1.50 a can (5.5 oz), and I
can't really afford that. I am used to the 3 or 4 for a dollar cans.
I checked the ingredient list and I didn't see anything that is
"prescription" in the list (no drugs)...just the stuff that is in
regular food, but in different percentages.

So my question is, is there another brand out there that costs less
and has similar ingredients? Or maybe a place where I can buy it for
(much) less than $1.50 a can?

Thanks so much!
Bob

Purina makes n/f, which is also specifically for CRF cats. But whether or
not it comes in canned, besides dry, I don't know. And I also don't know
its relative price. The prescription diet foods don't have drugs in them;
as you noticed, it is in the percentages - how much protein, for ex., that
is important in renal failure diets. If your cat likes the k/d, I'd
personally keep her on it, despite the higher cost. If she won't eat it,
then it's a whole 'nother story.

Cathy