CatBanter

-   -   Matted fur: how to comb/brush out (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=107989)

FragSinatra June 5th 12 09:00 PM

Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?

Gandalf[_2_] June 5th 12 10:04 PM

Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 20:00:31 +0000 (UTC), FragSinatra
wrote:

My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?

When a cat's fur gets matted, as you described, the only practical way
of removing them it to cut them out with a pair of scissors.

Be careful not to cut your cat's skin, as you have to cut pretty close
to it, to get the mats out.

You can avoid getting mats in your cat's fur in the future by brushing
his fur once a day.

Many cats enjoy having this done, and will look forward to it.

Be sure to praise your cat, and give him a treat each time you brush
him.

I hope this helps

chaniarts[_2_] June 5th 12 10:18 PM

On 6/5/2012 1:00 PM, FragSinatra wrote:
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?

cut out the worst ones. i use blunt tip emt scissors so i don't stab if
the cat jerks and moves.

i shower/shampoo my cats about every 3-4 weeks 9 months of the year to
prevent this, but i live in a warm climate.

Bill Graham June 5th 12 10:21 PM

FragSinatra wrote:
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?

When we got our little female, "Sara" from a farmer, she had tangles you
wouldn't believe. Brushing wouldn't get them out. So, we took a clipper to
her as soon as the Summer season set in,. and shaved all her tangles out.
She was gloriously happy, and, when the hair grew back in, she never got
another tangle! It must be the good diet she got from us.....

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
---

FragSinatra June 6th 12 02:11 AM

Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?

When we got our little female, "Sara" from a farmer, she had tangles
you wouldn't believe. Brushing wouldn't get them out. So, we took a
clipper to her as soon as the Summer season set in,. and shaved all
her tangles out. She was gloriously happy, and, when the hair grew
back in, she never got another tangle! It must be the good diet she
got from us.....

I'd rather not cut out or even clip the fur mats, which are in the short
fur of the haunches, I imagine Mage might freak out. Would a good, warm
bath and shampoo get the mats out?

Rene[_2_] June 6th 12 07:18 PM

Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

I'd rather not cut out or even clip the fur mats, which are in the short
fur of the haunches, I imagine Mage might freak out. Would a good, warm
bath and shampoo get the mats out?

IME, no. It might even make them worse and hug tighter to the skin.
You might need to get the areas(s) shaved by a groomer or a vet.

Bill Graham June 6th 12 08:32 PM

Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
[...]

Probably, but I'm not sure how well she might take to getting wet. Some of
our cats don't mind, but the others won't have anything to do with it. We
have no cats that we raised from kittenhood ourselves. We got them all aqs
adults, so we never had the chance to introduce them to water when young.
SWara was surprisingly receptive to being clipped with n electric trimmer,
and she was v3ery happy to lose the tangles. I think it was a lot less
traumatic than washing them out, but your cat may not mind being bathed at
all.....

chaniarts[_2_] June 6th 12 08:41 PM

Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

On 6/6/2012 12:32 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
[...]

all of my 6 cats were obtained as adults (2 years old) and all have
been introduced to showers. some of them wouldn't chose to have it done,
a couple really enjoy it, but all will stand there and let us bathe them
without having to nail them down or wear armor.

Bill Graham June 6th 12 08:46 PM

chaniarts wrote:
On 6/6/2012 12:32 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
[...]

Well, give it a try, but as Rene says, cutting them out may be your only
choice. I would have a small pair of blunt nosed scissors handy, so you can
clip out whatever doesn't want to wash out.....

Rhino[_3_] June 12th 12 05:12 AM

Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

"FragSinatra" wrote in message
. ..
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?

I stumbled on a way of handling mats that no one here has mentioned. There
may be some reason why this is a bad idea but I swear this works very well
for me.

I simply pull the mat out with my fingers. I get a firm grip on it while the
cat is lying, sitting or standing still and pull it slowly but firmly until
it is separated from the cat. Bebop does not cry or scratch or fight me in
any way when I do this. I find this approach very simple.

I once inadvertently cut a quarter-sized hole in his skin when trying to cut
a mat out. He didn't cry or fuss about that either but I was astonished how
long it took that hole to heal. I didn't see a scab begin to form for almost
three weeks; I really wondered if it was ever going to heal. It eventually
scabbed over and the fur grew back so that you can't see where it happened
but it took a long time.

--
Rhino