CatBanter

-   -   *sigh* Tucker's weight, again (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19215)

Rene August 27th 04 05:01 PM

*sigh* Tucker's weight, again

Hello all,

I went in to the vet's yesterday to get Tucker weighed. (He's had a
weight problem that I've been trying to control for over two years.
He's now 6.) He was previously on Hills r/d but the vet switched him
to m/d last December.

He's gained a ton of weight! They did a full blood panel on him, in
case of an underactive thyroid, but everything came back clear. I
don't understand. He gets a specific amount of food every day, no
treats except catnip, he has a cat buddy, has to go up stairs to eat,
etc. etc.

I'm going to the vet's over lunch today to discuss food options, but
it's down to either Hills r/d again or Walthams weight control. I'm so
frustrated! I feel like I'm failing him as a kitty mom. Thoughts,
anyone?

Rene

Karen August 27th 04 05:23 PM

"Rene" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

I went in to the vet's yesterday to get Tucker weighed. (He's had a
weight problem that I've been trying to control for over two years.
He's now 6.) He was previously on Hills r/d but the vet switched him
to m/d last December.

He's gained a ton of weight! They did a full blood panel on him, in
case of an underactive thyroid, but everything came back clear. I
don't understand. He gets a specific amount of food every day, no
treats except catnip, he has a cat buddy, has to go up stairs to eat,
etc. etc.

I'm going to the vet's over lunch today to discuss food options, but
it's down to either Hills r/d again or Walthams weight control. I'm so
frustrated! I feel like I'm failing him as a kitty mom. Thoughts,
anyone?

Rene

I think that like us genetics can be involved. How much does he weigh? Do
you have a picture?

[email protected] August 27th 04 06:42 PM

(Rene) wrote:

I'm going to the vet's over lunch today to discuss food options, but
it's down to either Hills r/d again or Walthams weight control. I'm so
frustrated! I feel like I'm failing him as a kitty mom. Thoughts,

Hills also has a weight control diet called w/d.

-mhd

Rob August 27th 04 07:49 PM

wrote in message
(Rene) wrote:

I'm going to the vet's over lunch today to discuss food options, but
it's down to either Hills r/d again or Walthams weight control. I'm so
frustrated! I feel like I'm failing him as a kitty mom. Thoughts,

Hills also has a weight control diet called w/d.

-mhd

just like any other living being, if you burn less calories in a day than
you consume, you gain weight. so, he basically needs more exercise or less
calories or better yet, both. i have the same problem, a 20lb cat who
should probably weigh about 15, and 2 other cats that are fine. very
difficult to control diet of one cat, so we run him around with the laser
pointer often ... he literally shakes the house (old house :)). i tried to
get him to run on the treadmill with me, but he found that even less
unrealistic than i did :). we're trying to leash train him as well, but
he's a real scardy cat when it comes to outside which really we don't want
to change since he doesn't try to escape out the door right now.