CatBanter

-   -   Lethal dose of morphine for a cat (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19584)

A.J. Rivett September 16th 04 05:44 PM

Lethal dose of morphine for a cat

When the time comes and I have to euthanize my cat, I would like to do
it in the kindest way. I think this would be a nice meal of tuna
juice and tuna with some morphine in the tuna juice.

I have been told that 5 mg of morphine should be enough and that my
cat would just fall asleep after eating her last meal. She wouldn't
be traumatized at all and her last thoughts would be how nice the tuna
tasted and now just a long nap until her next life.

My question is whether 5 mg of morphine is about right. I don't want
to traumatize the cat by having someone give her a needle or by having
to take her to the vet (she hates the vet). I know that they don't
give morphine, they give potassium chloride or something like that and
I think morphine may be more expensive but it's a nicer way to go.

Kathryn Stein September 16th 04 06:54 PM

On 16 Sep 2004 09:44:25 -0700, (A.J. Rivett)
wrote:

When the time comes and I have to euthanize my cat, I would like to do
it in the kindest way. I think this would be a nice meal of tuna
juice and tuna with some morphine in the tuna juice.

I have been told that 5 mg of morphine should be enough and that my
cat would just fall asleep after eating her last meal. She wouldn't
be traumatized at all and her last thoughts would be how nice the tuna
tasted and now just a long nap until her next life.

My question is whether 5 mg of morphine is about right. I don't want
to traumatize the cat by having someone give her a needle or by having
to take her to the vet (she hates the vet). I know that they don't
give morphine, they give potassium chloride or something like that and
I think morphine may be more expensive but it's a nicer way to go.

The most humane euthanization, imho, would be to have the vet make a
house visit. I've had that done and it was very peaceful.

Mary September 16th 04 07:46 PM

My question is whether 5 mg of morphine is about right. I don't want
to traumatize the cat by having someone give her a needle or by having
to take her to the vet (she hates the vet). I know that they don't
give morphine, they give potassium chloride or something like that and
I think morphine may be more expensive but it's a nicer way to go.

One thing to consider is that morphine is a controlled substance. You won't be
able to get it yourself. You will probably have to ask your vet to get it and
come to the house to administer it legally. I've been told that morphine
overdose is a good way to go if administered properly. They get very high and
feel great, then get unconscious then their organs stop. You just don't want
the organs to stop while they're conscious. That might be scary and painful.
Generally the vet gives valium to calm the animal, sets up an IV then gives
pheno to stop all organs. It's almost instant. I think they should give enough
valium to get the cat unconscious first, then the pheno.

jamie September 16th 04 09:05 PM

Kathryn Stein wrote:
(A.J. Rivett) wrote:

[...]

Agreed. In the drugged-tuna scenario, there's no way to be sure the
cat wouldn't vomit the drug, or if he would eat enough of it mixed
in food in the first place. Opiates cause vomiting in a percentage
of humans, I would expect the same in cats. A semi-conscious cat
aspirating vomit could turn this idealized scenario into a nightmare.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Sunflower September 16th 04 09:13 PM

"A.J. Rivett" wrote in message
om...
When the time comes and I have to euthanize my cat, I would like to do
it in the kindest way. I think this would be a nice meal of tuna
juice and tuna with some morphine in the tuna juice.

I have been told that 5 mg of morphine should be enough and that my
cat would just fall asleep after eating her last meal. She wouldn't
be traumatized at all and her last thoughts would be how nice the tuna
tasted and now just a long nap until her next life.

My question is whether 5 mg of morphine is about right. I don't want
to traumatize the cat by having someone give her a needle or by having
to take her to the vet (she hates the vet). I know that they don't
give morphine, they give potassium chloride or something like that and
I think morphine may be more expensive but it's a nicer way to go.

The problem with administering it orally is that it slows the sytem down and
by the time you get a fatal dose in them, the organs don't work enough to
process it, leaving the animal more or less in a coma situation for hours or
days on end. (You don't even want to know why I know this.) Depending on
your animal's underlying health issues that make this a necessary decision,
some organs might not even work enough to get even a sedative dose of a drug
into the system and certainly won't process it enough for death to occur.
That's not humane. There's also the issue of regurgitation, which can
happen, and with the cat sedated enough that the gag reflex is disabled, the
cat could choke to death on the vomit. Also not humane.

Really, the only effective way to euthanize an animal is through injection.
Most vets will come to your home and do this for you and it's much less
stressful than you packaging up and going to their office. It's far more
peaceful than you may think, and you can be there at the end after their
last supper and hold them while they pass. It's quick, and painless, which
an oral dose of any drug is NOT. If you love your cat, give her the final
best gift any owner can give, which is a quick and painless death--from your
veterinarian.

Annie Wxill September 16th 04 09:41 PM

"A.J. Rivett" wrote in message
om...
.... I think morphine may be more expensive but it's a nicer way to go.

Normally, I just killfile these types of posts, but I'm curious how you know
1. that morphine may be more expensive, and
2. that it's a nicer way to go.

PawsForThought September 16th 04 10:45 PM

From: (jamie)

Kathryn Stein wrote:
(A.J. Rivett) wrote:

[...]

Also, how many cats that are so ill that euthansia would be considered would
even be able to eat?

I've had the vet come to my house too and I think that's the least stressful.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm

Paulette September 16th 04 11:00 PM

If you give a cat morphine (if you could even OBTAIN morphine) it will
go wild...climb the walls. etc. Morphine also stimulates horses.

I, also, suspect a troll.

Paulette September 16th 04 11:00 PM

A.J. Rivett September 17th 04 01:39 PM

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message ...
"A.J. Rivett" wrote in message
om...
... I think morphine may be more expensive but it's a nicer way to go.

Normally, I just killfile these types of posts, but I'm curious how you know
1. that morphine may be more expensive, and
2. that it's a nicer way to go.

1. Stupid question. What do you think humans get when they are given
a little too much pain killer and why do you suppose morphine is a
controlled substance?

2. Why do you think there are so many heroin addicts out there?

For a curious person, you are pretty clueless.

A.J. Rivett September 17th 04 01:43 PM

(Paulette) wrote in message ...
If you give a cat morphine (if you could even OBTAIN morphine) it will
go wild...climb the walls. etc. Morphine also stimulates horses.

False

I, also, suspect a troll.

You, also, are an idiot.

A.J. Rivett September 17th 04 01:48 PM

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message ...
From:
(jamie)

Kathryn Stein wrote:
(A.J. Rivett) wrote:

[...]

Thank you for your response. I was aware of the vomiting scenario as
this is a problem in humans. I will probably opt for the vet visit
although when the initial sedative was given to one of my previous
cats, it was not appreciated by the cat. She couldn't figure out why
she was losing her coordination and she became agitated. That is why
I'm looking to something that will allow her to sleep without knowing
that she is being snuffed.

My belief is that cats know when somebody is trying to off them and a
needle in the butt is a sure sign that something's up.

kaeli September 17th 04 03:11 PM

In article ,
enlightened us with...
(Paulette) wrote in message ...
If you give a cat morphine (if you could even OBTAIN morphine) it will
go wild...climb the walls. etc. Morphine also stimulates horses.

False

True. Sort of.
http://opioids.com/morphine/felinemania.html

Quote:

(1) autonomic stage (0-15 min postdrug): with vocalization, salivation,
licking, swallowing, retching and vomiting; (2) quiet stage (15-60 min
postdrug): sitting, fixed gaze, mydriasis, and pricked pinnae; (3) head
movement stage (from 30-60 min postdrug and decreasing by the 5th hr): fully
aroused but mostly sitting; showing discrete, complex head movements of a
visual-tracking type with pouncing/avoidance paw movements, and with
irregular, dose-dependent bouts of rocking, pivoting, and backing. Sleep,
grooming, micturition and defecation were suppressed.
This certainly doesn't sound like a nice way to die for a cat.

~kaeli~
Can you be a closet claustrophobic?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

PawsForThought September 17th 04 05:00 PM

From: (A.J. Rivett)

(PawsForThought) wrote in message
From:
(jamie)

Kathryn Stein wrote:
(A.J. Rivett) wrote:

[...]

Yes, unfortunately, I also had a bad experience when one of my cats was
euthanized. She was very ill and the vet had a hard time finding a vein, plus
she was protesting greatly. My husband tried to remind me that anything a vet
did to Queenie always made her upset. But still it was really horrible. So
like you, I would also like to know of a better way.

Lauren
________

Sunflower September 17th 04 09:34 PM

From: (A.J. Rivett)

(PawsForThought) wrote in message
From:
(jamie)

Kathryn Stein wrote:
(A.J. Rivett) wrote:

[...]

A IM injection of a sedative and then a direct cardiac stick with the
euthanasia drug would be easiest on an animal that had hydration problems or
other issues with finding a vein. Unfortunately, most pet owners are more
upset by this procedure than repeated attempts to find a vein. A direct
cardiac stick on an already sedated patient is painless and exceedingly
quick. It's just not "pretty". I've participated in probably 200 animal
euthnasias by a veterinarian with me acting as a tech, and on the small
kittens or sick cats, this was the optimal procedure for shelter animals
because it was the most humane. The vet rarely offered this to any but the
most medically knowledgable pet owners however, because of the poor reaction
that most of them had to the image of a needle to the heart.

Sunflower September 17th 04 09:34 PM

Phil P. September 18th 04 09:13 AM

"A.J. Rivett" wrote in message
om...

I will probably opt for the vet visit
although when the initial sedative was given to one of my previous
cats, it was not appreciated by the cat. She couldn't figure out why
she was losing her coordination and she became agitated.

Either your vet is an asshole or he had no training in euthanasia.

Your vet should have used a catheter to ensure that your cat died
peacefully, without adverse effects. After the saline flush he should have
used a rapid acting barbiturate - like thiopental, which puts the cat into a
mellow state of relaxation and then anesthesia before the final drug.

Euthanasia should be conducted like a ceremony. Its the final gift that we
lovingly bestow upon our dearly loved cats. I make absolutely sure our
terminally ill and dying cats' euthanasias are conducted with the same
respect and reverence as my own. I have no tolerance for vets who simply
kill cats as part of a day's work.

A.J. Rivett September 18th 04 11:39 PM

"
A IM injection of a sedative and then a direct cardiac stick with the
euthanasia drug would be easiest on an animal that had hydration problems or
other issues with finding a vein. Unfortunately, most pet owners are more
upset by this procedure than repeated attempts to find a vein. A direct
cardiac stick on an already sedated patient is painless and exceedingly
quick. It's just not "pretty". I've participated in probably 200 animal
euthnasias by a veterinarian with me acting as a tech, and on the small
kittens or sick cats, this was the optimal procedure for shelter animals
because it was the most humane. The vet rarely offered this to any but the
most medically knowledgable pet owners however, because of the poor reaction
that most of them had to the image of a needle to the heart.

Thank you.

This is helpful.

-L. : September 19th 04 05:37 AM

"Phil P." wrote in message ...
snippy

I have no tolerance for vets who simply
kill cats as part of a day's work.

Unfortunately, that's how a lot of vets and techs approach it -
especially if the guardian refuses to be present. One of the most
upsetting things I witnessed was a tech euthing an 8-week old FIP
kitten all the while laughing and joking with another tech. It was
just so damn disrespectful. I silently wept.

-L.

Phil P. September 19th 04 07:55 AM

"-L. :" wrote in message
om...
"Phil P." wrote in message

snippy

I have no tolerance for vets who simply
kill cats as part of a day's work.

Unfortunately, that's how a lot of vets and techs approach it -
especially if the guardian refuses to be present. One of the most
upsetting things I witnessed was a tech euthing an 8-week old FIP
kitten all the while laughing and joking with another tech. It was
just so damn disrespectful. I silently wept.

In my younger days when I volunteered in a municipal shelter, a vet tech
used an amphetamine to euthanize a cat - he thought it was funny to see the
cat bouncing off the walls of the cage until his heart exploded. Since the
tech thought it was so funny, I thought he would enjoy bouncing off the
walls, too, for about 20 minutes. I was wrong... he didn't enjoy it. I
don't think the tech will ever forget that cat.

Camilla Cracchiolo September 19th 04 11:30 AM

wrote:

When the time comes and I have to euthanize my cat, I would like to do
it in the kindest way. I think this would be a nice meal of tuna
juice and tuna with some morphine in the tuna juice.

I have been told that 5 mg of morphine should be enough and that my
cat would just fall asleep after eating her last meal. She wouldn't
be traumatized at all and her last thoughts would be how nice the tuna
tasted and now just a long nap until her next life.

My question is whether 5 mg of morphine is about right. I don't want
to traumatize the cat by having someone give her a needle or by having
to take her to the vet (she hates the vet). I know that they don't
give morphine, they give potassium chloride or something like that and
I think morphine may be more expensive but it's a nicer way to go.

Have a vet come to the house, and you can sedate the kitty first,
before the vet arrives. If you can, get your regular vet to give you
medication for it. If not, the human antihistamine chlorpheniramine
(Chlor Trimeton) can really knock a cat out at a dose of 2-4 mg.

When we had to euthanize my kitty, who had a painful cancer, we had a
vet come to the house. Since we already had pain medication for him,
(torbutrol), I gave him an oral double dose before the vet arrived.

Then we set up a nice little pillow with a trash bag over it and a
towel over the trash bag. (bodily fluids can leak at death. In our
case they didn't, probably because poor Victor was not eating or
drinking.) It was nice to have it be like a special place and a
little ritual.

The vet then gave him a shot of sedation, which was very quick and
since Victor was already pretty out of it, he didn't react much to. I
held him in my lap, petting him during the shot. Once he was
unconscious, we put him on the pillow, the vet gave him a stick to the
heart and then it was over. We carried the body out to the vet's van
and he took care of all the cremation and getting the ashes back to
us. That was very helpful, not to have to deal with all that.

I kind of wish I hadn't watched the cardiac stick, though. It's how I
remember Victor now and that's hard on me. On the other hand, it DID
leave me absolutely sure Victor was dead, and so I didn't have the
fear that some people do that their cat was still alive, might have
woken up in the van all alone. (irrational fear, yes, but some people
go through all kinds of stuff as part of grieving.)

It's wasn't cheap, but it was done with love, respect, no fear and
virtually no pain. If I ever have to euthanize another cat, that's
how we will do it again.

BTW, is your cat already ill? We let one of our cats die of old age
(22 years old.) Some people act like you HAVE to euthanize your
animals but our old cat, who was in kidney failure, went very
peacefully during the night. Not all things that kill cats are
painful and she had a good quality of life up till the end.

Camilla Cracchiolo
Registered Nurse
Los Angeles, California

webpage temporarily down

A.J. Rivett September 20th 04 07:49 PM

Camilla Cracchiolo wrote in message . ..

BTW, is your cat already ill? We let one of our cats die of old age
(22 years old.) Some people act like you HAVE to euthanize your
animals but our old cat, who was in kidney failure, went very
peacefully during the night. Not all things that kill cats are
painful and she had a good quality of life up till the end.

My cat is on her third comeback. I don't know how many she has left
at 16 but to make a long story short, she has a better living
environment now and she is much happier and healthier than even a
month ago. I am constantly amazed at the recuperative power of this
little female. I'm going to give her every chance to live without
making her life a series of medical interventions. She still enjoys a
nice meal and stroking and she is still fond of the outdoors so until
she gets really unstable and unhappy, I'll let nature take its course.

I appreciate the suggestions of the stick to the heart after an IM
sedative even if it isn't 'pretty' as one writer noted. I hope that
she goes out on her own agenda but I won't let her get unhappy.