CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Vomiting cat (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25966)

bookbug2005 April 4th 05 02:32 AM

Vomiting cat

My cat, Charley, is 6 months old, energetic, and by all accounts
healthy. However, lately he's begun vomiting in the morning after he
first eats his kitten chow. I think what is happening is that he
snarfs it down, drinks some water, then the kitten chow expands in his
stomach, and up it comes. Although it is rare, he's done it other
times in of the day. All occurrences seem to happen when he's not
eaten in awhile (although I leave kitten chow available to him 24/7).
Charley does not seem sick in the least. Just wondered if anyone else
had experience with this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Michelle

Cheryl April 4th 05 02:45 AM

On Sun 03 Apr 2005 09:32:04p, bookbug2005 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

My cat, Charley, is 6 months old, energetic, and by all accounts
healthy. However, lately he's begun vomiting in the morning
after he first eats his kitten chow. I think what is happening
is that he snarfs it down, drinks some water, then the kitten
chow expands in his stomach, and up it comes. Although it is
rare, he's done it other times in of the day. All occurrences
seem to happen when he's not eaten in awhile (although I leave
kitten chow available to him 24/7). Charley does not seem sick
in the least. Just wondered if anyone else had experience with
this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Michelle

Yes, Michelle. Do you think Charley would like canned food? Maybe
for his first meal of the day, the canned stuff would sit better
with him. I've had cats that will hurl dry food if they eat it too
fast.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

[email protected] April 4th 05 06:27 AM

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:45:18 -0500, Cheryl
wrote:

On Sun 03 Apr 2005 09:32:04p, bookbug2005 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
groups.com):

My cat, Charley, is 6 months old, energetic, and by all accounts
healthy. However, lately he's begun vomiting in the morning
after he first eats his kitten chow. I think what is happening
is that he snarfs it down, drinks some water, then the kitten
chow expands in his stomach, and up it comes. Although it is
rare, he's done it other times in of the day. All occurrences
seem to happen when he's not eaten in awhile (although I leave
kitten chow available to him 24/7). Charley does not seem sick
in the least. Just wondered if anyone else had experience with
this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Michelle

Yes, Michelle. Do you think Charley would like canned food? Maybe
for his first meal of the day, the canned stuff would sit better
with him. I've had cats that will hurl dry food if they eat it too
fast.

That's what my vet recommended after my 11 year old started having
that problem. He said my cat could be having a hard time passing the
dry through his system. Canned food and soft kibble work well and the
vomiting doesn't occur now unless he eats too fast.

You could also mix the kitten chow with a little water and feed it to
him that way. Like you, my cat had unlimited access to dry food, but
he's adapted to eating only at meal times. (except he acts like he's
starving all the time).

pepsi

Phil P. April 4th 05 09:22 AM

"bookbug2005" wrote in message
oups.com...
My cat, Charley, is 6 months old, energetic, and by all accounts
healthy. However, lately he's begun vomiting in the morning after he
first eats his kitten chow. I think what is happening is that he
snarfs it down, drinks some water, then the kitten chow expands in his
stomach, and up it comes. Although it is rare, he's done it other
times in of the day. All occurrences seem to happen when he's not
eaten in awhile (although I leave kitten chow available to him 24/7).
Charley does not seem sick in the least. Just wondered if anyone else
had experience with this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Michelle

Has he been to the vet to rule out possible medical causes? That should be
the first step. Vomiting shortly after eating could be a sign of a
gastrointestinal obstruction.

If the vet gives him a clean bill of health, I think you should make a
serious effort to switch him over to canned food while he's still young.
Changing food textures gets more difficult as cats get older. Not only will
canned food probably help his digestive problems, it will certainly reduce
the risks of potentially fatal urinary tract obstructions and other lower
urinary tract disorders.

You might also want to try placing small portions of his daily diet in
several different locations. This will force him to eat a little at a time.

But first things first. I'd let the vet have a look at him.

Best of luck.

Phil

bjdbrad April 4th 05 10:07 AM

My vet my breeder and many times in this and other forums I have been
told that until one year of age you should free feed your kitten. If
this is fact that should stop him from gorging himself on a morning
meal. Myself I would do anything to keep from feeding them canned food,
you may never be able to ween him off of the canned back to the dry. It
sounds to me that your explanation of why he vomits is correct and if
the free feeding cuts down the amount it should solve the problem. Easy
enough to try.

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL-PRESERVED
BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING... "
HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Phil P. April 4th 05 10:24 AM

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
ups.com...

Myself I would do anything to keep from feeding them canned food,
you may never be able to ween him off of the canned back to the dry.

Why would you want to?

Phil

BC April 4th 05 12:20 PM

bjdbrad wrote:
My vet my breeder and many times in this and other forums I have been
told that until one year of age you should free feed your kitten. If
this is fact that should stop him from gorging himself on a morning
meal. Myself I would do anything to keep from feeding them canned food,
you may never be able to ween him off of the canned back to the dry.

Personally I ALWAYS feed a mix of both, constant supply of dry and wet
food twice a day. I've read good and bad for both types and see this as
the best way to keep a balance.
It
sounds to me that your explanation of why he vomits is correct and if
the free feeding cuts down the amount it should solve the problem. Easy
enough to try.

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL-PRESERVED
BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING... "
HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

--
Badger Badger Badger

[email protected] April 4th 05 01:39 PM

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:20:59 GMT, BC wrote:

bjdbrad wrote:
My vet my breeder and many times in this and other forums I have been
told that until one year of age you should free feed your kitten. If
this is fact that should stop him from gorging himself on a morning
meal. Myself I would do anything to keep from feeding them canned food,
you may never be able to ween him off of the canned back to the dry.

Personally I ALWAYS feed a mix of both, constant supply of dry and wet
food twice a day. I've read good and bad for both types and see this as
the best way to keep a balance.

Isn't this the feeding method the original poster already had in
place?

I questioned my vet about his recommendation of an all canned food
diet, too. I always thought cats (dogs, too) needed the crunch of
hard food for dental health. my vet said if that was a concern to me,
eventually I could try to incorporate a little dry food back into my
cat's diet, but that it wasn't necessary. I was also surprised when
my vet recommended Friskies canned instead of the expensive Science
Diet type foods, but since I go to a low cost clinic, he probably knew
I wasn't going to be able to buy the high priced stuff.

pepsi

bjdbrad April 5th 05 09:37 AM

Well Phil perhaps its a mix of a few things.....one of them human
related I admit but I don't want to mess with the cans and smell and
mess of dealing with canned food.......but also I am convinced that the
dry food is best for them. I have no quarrel with those that want to
use canned food I just prefer not to, also my breeder says his cats
have much better and less odorous stools with dry food. I think alot of
you guys use canned foods because your cat seems to love it and its
maybe more of a treat to give them the canned food which makes you feel
better being good to your cat which certainly is good for you and your
cat.

Pepsi, in looking at the first post that I have I can't determine how
feeding was done, I right or wrong determined that the morning feeding
was from an empty bowl but I may be wrong.

Phil P. April 5th 05 10:42 AM

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well Phil perhaps its a mix of a few things.....one of them human
related I admit but I don't want to mess with the cans and smell and
mess of dealing with canned food.......

Actually, your cats' health should take precedence over your convenience.

but also I am convinced that the
dry food is best for them.

That's hardy the case. In fact, its the complete opposite. Here's why:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutritio...i ch_is_reall

Btw, take a look a your cats' teeth. Do you see any first premolars or
lower first or second premolars or broad and fisured crowns for grinding?
No, right? Their teeth are pointed - designed for tearing and cutting - not
mastication.

Also, gently try to move your cats' jaws laterally or in a rotary motion.
Can't do it, can you? Do you know why? Cats don't masticate! They can't
because their jaw hinge (condyloid process) is shaped like a bar - like a
door hinge - and only moves up and down (for holding struggling prey and
cutting) http://maxshouse.com/anatomy/Dentary...edial_view.jpg

So unless the dry food nuggets are very large - large enough for the teeth
to sink all the way down to the gum line - and don't shatter when the cat
bites into them, what good is dry food?

I have no quarrel with those that want to
use canned food I just prefer not to,

Its not as simple as that. Your cats' health should take precedence over
your convenience.

also my breeder says his cats
have much better and less odorous stools with dry food.

Most breeders are hardly credible sources of information - look how much
damage their "wisdom" has caused for many breeds - *especially* the
brachycephalic breeds and the Siamese! Most breeders know even less about
feline nutrition than they do about breeding!

The cost of those 'better' stools is less water in the urine and lower urine
volume - which increases the concentration of solutes in the urine which
increases the risk of urinary tract obstructions in male cats. Most of the
water dry-fed cats drink is lost to fecal moisture. So, even though they
drink about 6x more water than cats fed canned food, they have a *lower*
total water intake and turnover and *lower* urine volume. This isn't
opinion - this is fact backed up by peer-reviewed controlled clinical
studies.

Dry food also exacerbates interstitial cystitis and diabetes in cats that
are predisposed to it.

I think alot of
you guys use canned foods because your cat seems to love it and its
maybe more of a treat to give them the canned food which makes you feel
better being good to your cat which certainly is good for you and your
cat.

You couldn't be more wrong! Most of us feed our cats canned food because
its *healthier for our cats*. Canned food is more is expensive, takes more
effort, and is just a general pain in ass to deal with it - but its *better*
and *healthier* for our cats - which takes precedence over our convenience.
Don't you think we would love to just fill up a feeder once a week and
forget about it instead of worrying about rushing home to feed our cats on
time? The inconvenience and effort are offset by the satisfaction and
confidence that we are doing the best thing for our feline friends - who
enrich our lives so much. I think you might want to reevaluate your
priorities.

As the owner of a male cat, you should be particularily concerned about
feeding dry food. Male cats are very susceptible to urinary tract
obstructions because their urethra narrows - like a funnel - where it passes
over the pelvis - which can easily become blocked by small crystals and
debris and lead to oliguric acute renal failure and *death*. Females cats
aren't susceptible to UTOs because they have a wider and somewhat straight
urethra.

You seem like a caring owner whose just been misled and misinformed. I
really think you'll change your mind if you really think about it.

Phil

[email protected] April 5th 05 06:51 PM

On 5 Apr 2005 01:37:26 -0700, "bjdbrad" wrote:

[...]

He said, "(although I leave kitten chow available to him 24/7)."
so I knew the cat, like mine used to, has unlimitted dry.

As for canned, I grew up with dogs and knew that dry was essential for
the animal's health. When I acquired my cat, I thought the same was
true for him. I was surprised when my vet told me cats do fine on an
all canned food diet, and that was confirmed just yesterday when I saw
a vet on tv say the same thing.

I agree with you that canned food does have an odorous effect on their
waste. But since canned food passes through their systems faster than
dry, for a cat that has trouble passing dry food, such as the original
poster's cat, that seems more of a solution than a problem.

I have boarded my cat and was told he was only given Science Diet dry
the entire week he was there. He did just fine, so I've come to the
conclusion that as long as it's a food designed for cats, it won't
harm them, unless they have other problems. I do stay away from cheap
store brand foods, though, as they give my cat bloody diarhea.

pepsi

Karen April 5th 05 07:28 PM

wrote in message
[...]

High quality canned food will not make stinkier poo.

I have boarded my cat and was told he was only given Science Diet dry
the entire week he was there. He did just fine, so I've come to the
conclusion that as long as it's a food designed for cats, it won't
harm them, unless they have other problems. I do stay away from cheap
store brand foods, though, as they give my cat bloody diarhea.

pepsi

You would be wrong particularly on the part of boy cats that are susceptible
to becoming blocked by crystals. BUtyou can google and read all the flame
wars over this.

bjdbrad April 6th 05 10:51 AM

Well Phil the first thing you should learn here is that you can have an
opinion without telling the other people they are wrong. Why did you
feel the need to say that you are right and I am wrong. If you want to
make a contest about it I can write paragraphs that will tell you why
dry food is best. Be careful not to get caught up in the marketing of
the people who promote each type of food. Each one can make good sound
arguments for their types of foods. And as far as your comment about my
cats health taking taking precendent over my convenience...go screw
yourself.....you saw that I said I was convinced dry was better and was
honest about why I don't want to use canned. Matter of fact I said use
what you want I was polite and you were an ass. I shouldn't take the
word of a breeder I researched and I should take your word, someone out
here looking for a flame?

Your holier than though attitude sucks......rushing home to feed your
cat because you love your cat more than I do huh......tell you
what....don't respond to my posts and I won't respond to yours I
wouldn't want to accidentally knock you off your pedestal.

Phil P. April 7th 05 06:51 AM

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well Phil the first thing you should learn here is that you can have an
opinion without telling the other people they are wrong. Why did you
feel the need to say that you are right and I am wrong.

Maybe because I am and you were and I was trying to enlighten you for your
cats' benefit.

If you want to
make a contest about it I can write paragraphs that will tell you why
dry food is best.

I've already done extensive research backed up by controlled, clinical
studies that were published in peer-reviewed veterinary journals about the
benefits of canned food and serious disadvantages of dry food that trumps
*anything* you could possible come up with.

Before you type anymore foolish nonsense, read it first and save yourself a
lot of embarrassment:

http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutr...i ch_is_reall

Be careful not to get caught up in the marketing of
the people who promote each type of food. Each one can make good sound
arguments for their types of foods.

The only argument one could make about dry food is convenience and cost -
and maybe the fact it doesn't freeze (I'm forced to feed dry food to my
feral colonies in the winter)

And as far as your comment about my
cats health taking taking precendent over my convenience...go screw
yourself.....

Gee, if I knew the truth would hurt so much, I would have said it anyway.

you saw that I said I was convinced dry was better and was
honest about why I don't want to use canned.

Yeah, your reasons for why you don't *want* to feed canned food were really
moving.

Matter of fact I said use
what you want I was polite and you were an ass.

Gee, and here I thought I gave you a pretty good education about canned vs.
dry.

I shouldn't take the
word of a breeder I researched and I should take your word, someone out
here looking for a flame?

Absolutely not! You should never take the word of a breeder on face value.

Your holier than though attitude sucks.....

Ah ah ah - you're confusing aplomb with arrogance.

..rushing home to feed your
cat because you love your cat more than I do huh......

Isn't it true? Or do you mean to tell me that you love my cats more than I
do?

Buts that's not what I really said, now, is it? Do you always deliberately
misinterpret other peoples' statements or do you just have a reading
comprehension problem? Here's what I actually said:

"Don't you think we would love to just fill up a feeder once a week and
forget about it instead of worrying about rushing home to feed our cats on
time? The inconvenience and effort are offset by the satisfaction and
confidence that we are doing the best thing for our feline friends - who
enrich our lives so much. I think you might want to reevaluate your
priorities."

Nope! Nothing in there about who loves whose cats more.

tell you
what....don't respond to my posts

No can do. I feel obliged to the feline species to correct erroneous
information whenever and wherever I see it. Look at the up side - you just
might learn something...

ccpouncer April 7th 05 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil P.
"bjdbrad" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Phil,
Just picked up this thread today. Very informative. I also believe:
A. You get what you pay for.
B. Feed them what they like - they know what they need.

Thanks for the info.
CC

Shadow Walker April 7th 05 07:48 PM

Well Phil perhaps its a mix of a few things.....one of them human
related I admit but I don't want to mess with the cans and smell and
mess of dealing with canned food.......

Actually, your cats' health should take precedence over your convenience.

Mine does and I do not see my cats as being healthy when they cry in pain
because the canned food is too wet. Thus causing diarrhea.
Which in turn is backed up by gas I can here them pass from across the room.
You know that wet sound that we all make when our stomach lets us know we
ate something we should not have.

Don't forget the buildup on there teeth. Canned cat food leaves residue,
yeah and some would and should advise what to do about that. Wingtips and
other things. My cats won't touch raw meat. They like their dry and the
occasional canned.

but also I am convinced that the
dry food is best for them.

That's hardy the case. In fact, its the complete opposite. Here's why:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutritio...i ch_is_reall

Btw, take a look a your cats' teeth. Do you see any first premolars or
lower first or second premolars or broad and fisured crowns for grinding?
No, right? Their teeth are pointed - designed for tearing and cutting -

not
mastication.

"Max's House is produced in the interest of improving the health of cats
everywhere. While every attempt has been made to assure the accuracy and
completeness of the information contained herein, Max's House cannot
guarantee the accuracy of the original sources of information. Max's
House's cannot serve as a substitute for regular professional veterinary
care and is provided for reference only and not for treatment of any kind .
Max's House cannot be responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of
individual cats. We are confident that you will find Max's House's to be an
outstanding and informative addition to your cat's health care program."

[...]

Nuff said.

I have no quarrel with those that want to
use canned food I just prefer not to,

Its not as simple as that. Your cats' health should take precedence over
your convenience.

What she or he said is that simple. Again pet care is not an exact science.
You can fight all day about what is better for the cat but I'll say this
much God didn't serve it in a can anymore than he served it in a bag.

[...]

Yes and bones get lodged in cats throats. I don't see your point here.
Predisposed will carry any way and anywere.

[...]

Ummmm....I feed canned as a treat and it's not more expensive if you buy it
right and not any more messy to me than dry. I have learned through
experience with the *vet* that canned is not as good as you claim. It's got
less of everything and more fat. It sticks to there teeth that requires
extra time at the vets to remove and that hurts a cats heart. It causes
stomach problems, gas, diarrhea and a number of other health concerns. Don't
forget that it is not a challenge for the cats stomach to digest. Cats use
to eat animals, hair, skin, insides (including grain) nails and all. Canned
is not stringy like meat so it doesn't offer their jaw exercise or the use
of their teeth that need to be used or they get loose in the jaw and fall
out.

As the owner of a male cat, you should be particularily concerned about
feeding dry food. Male cats are very susceptible to urinary tract
obstructions because their urethra narrows - like a funnel - where it

passes
over the pelvis - which can easily become blocked by small crystals and
debris and lead to oliguric acute renal failure and *death*. Females cats
aren't susceptible to UTOs because they have a wider and somewhat straight
urethra.

You seem like a caring owner whose just been misled and misinformed. I
really think you'll change your mind if you really think about it.

Phil

Female cats aren't susceptible to UTI's or UTO's that's not true, not true
at all. The words you are looking for is less likely. All cats can get a UTI
and or UTO. I think you are just as misinformed. I'm not stating I know
everything nor all the answers. But I have to work very closely with my vet
for all three of my cats. I have one male who is a UTI time bomb. I have 2
females 1 has a heart murmur and the other nurological problems. So I would
say, me and the vets have had some long talks.

Putting soapbox away.

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker April 7th 05 07:56 PM

"Phil P." wrote in message

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Before you tell other people to read stuff you should read it for evidence
to prevent it from being used against you. Note it says to be used for
information to help in your cats health program. It doesn't say stop here
it's the bomb, the answer, the whole kit and caboodle. It looks like you
stopped there and are not really researching further into your cats own
health.

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker April 7th 05 08:19 PM

Actually, your cats' health should take precedence over your
convenience.

Mine does and I do not see my cats as being healthy when they cry in

pain
because the canned food is too wet. Thus causing diarrhea.

You could do what I do, since Hodge has the same problem (constipation
from dry, diarrhea from wet) -- feed wet one meal and dry one meal a
day. He looks great, he got a clean bill of health a couple weeks ago,
and he seems to be doing well on this diet.

Thanks for the info. I give canned as a treat every so often it is also used
just to make sure everything is going through. =) I have discussed the
canned food vs. dry with my vet, (I use a good sized clinic that has three
vets on staff) and as a whole canned is not for mine. We use it for sick
cats, hair ball problems but overall it's just really doesn't fit into my
cats dietary needs. I also give my cats supplements due to my one cats heart
murmur, she gets extra taurine.

Thank you.

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker April 7th 05 08:27 PM

Just to add onto my other message I have no problems with canned being used
in moderation with dry, my problem is when some believe it is the only way
and they do not look at the other factors involved. Thank you very much for
your information. It is useful.

Shadow Walker

"Diane L. Schirf" wrote in message
k.net...

http://www.slywy.com/

Phil P. April 7th 05 08:57 PM

"Shadow Walker" wrote in message

[...]

Sure was! You said enough to prove you're and utter idiot and don't know
*anything* about feline nutrition and to cast serious doubt that you're
capable of learning.

Btw, appropriate screen name "Shadow" - because you're certainly in the dark
about feline nutrition! LOL!

Phil P. April 7th 05 09:00 PM

"Shadow Walker" wrote in message

ignorant babbling snipped

I won't waste my time commenting on all your other ignorant,
misinformed/uninformed and erroneous nonsense. I'll simply point out that
you, and apparently your vet, don't even understand the very *basics* of
feline nutrition - such as how to compare nutrient values between canned and
dry food - which seriously discounts you and your vet's credibility.

I have learned through
experience with the *vet* that canned is not as good as you claim. It's

got
less of everything and more fat.

Do you understand the concept of "dry matter basis"? I suggest you learn so
you don't continue to make an utter fool of yourself. After you learn,
explain it to your vet! LOL!

Feline nutrition 101: Canned food contains *more* protein and other
nutrients and usually *less* fat than equal quality dry food. Btw, cats
utilize fat *better* than carbohydrates. The carbohydrates in dry food are
what makes cats fat - not the fat content of the food.

That's enough for now, I don't think you could absorb much more than that at
one time.

CatNipped April 7th 05 09:21 PM

"Shadow Walker" wrote:

Actually, your cats' health should take precedence over your
convenience.

Mine does and I do not see my cats as being healthy when they cry in pain
because the canned food is too wet. Thus causing diarrhea.

You could do what I do, since Hodge has the same problem (constipation
from dry, diarrhea from wet) -- feed wet one meal and dry one meal a
day. He looks great, he got a clean bill of health a couple weeks ago,
and he seems to be doing well on this diet.

I agree. I was a proponent of dry only for a long while, and my cats did
just fine on it (no extra weight, great health, no tartar or cavities,
shining eyes, and coat, etc.), but after Bandit hit 15 my vet said her
creatinin and BUN levels were creeping up a bit and she suggested adding the
canned so Bandit would get more fluids into her system.

It was hard to get them to start eating the canned after all that time on
dry, but, with patience, they have now developed a taste for it. They still
get their dry crunchies too, so they're getting both as a compromise between
their favorite and what's good for them. I'm just trying to gradually
lessen the amount of dry and increase the amount of canned.

I know some feel that only canned is good for them, and I'm sure they're
correct, but you have to balance that with the disadvantages of an abrupt
change in diet and with whether or not your cat will eat it. Even a
starving cat can not immediately be given a good, high caloric food without
drastic effects to his/her system (vomiting, diahrrea, etc.). I think the
change must be gradual both for the cats likes/dislikes and to cause the
least short-term damage to their systems.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
http://www.slywy.com/

Laura K April 7th 05 09:49 PM

"Diane L. Schirf" wrote in
k.net:

You could do what I do, since Hodge has the same problem (constipation
from dry, diarrhea from wet) -- feed wet one meal and dry one meal a
day. He looks great, he got a clean bill of health a couple weeks ago,
and he seems to be doing well on this diet.

I split a can/pouch between my two for breakfast and then give them dry
during the day. They're thriving on it, according to my vet. In fact, Peaches
is over-thriving and I've had to switch to diet dry.
I tried giving them each a can/pouch for breakfast and they didn't finish it.
I previously had a cat who refused to eat dry. She wouldn't even sniff it. It
simply didn't exist for her. She'd sit there and watch the other cats chow
down on it with this puzzled expression on her face. So I fed everyone
canned, since one of the cats would overeat on dry.
The cat that wouldn't eat dry was the only one that had healthy teeth that
never had to be cleaned. The dry food fanatics all had problems.

Phil P. April 7th 05 10:14 PM

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I know some feel that only canned is good for them, and I'm sure they're
correct, but you have to balance that with the disadvantages of an abrupt
change in diet and with whether or not your cat will eat it.

Absolutely. It doesn't matter how perfectly formulated a diet is if the cat
won't eat it.

No diet should be changed abruptly - even from one brand to a different
brand of the same type of food.

Its often difficult to change textures because a cat's texture preference is
very strongly influenced by the type of food that the cat was feed when she
was a kitten. Unfortunately, most shelters don't have the funds or help to
feed canned food so most cats develop a strong - and sometimes immovable
preference for dry food.

I also try to accustom all kittens and young cats to canned food because it
makes switching the cat to a prescription diet easier if the need arises
later in life. The *worst* time to try to change textures or even brands is
when a cat is sick -- and that's exactly when most people are forced to
change their cats' diets.

Phil

CatNipped April 7th 05 10:24 PM

"Phil P." wrote in message
ink.net...

Its often difficult to change textures because a cat's texture preference
is
very strongly influenced by the type of food that the cat was feed when
she
was a kitten. Unfortunately, most shelters don't have the funds or help
feed canned food so most cats develop a strong - and sometimes immovable
preference for dry food.

Good idea to get them used to it as a kitten. However, a lot of vets are
still recommending to owners to feed dry because they were taught that that
was better for their teeth. The facts still haven't filtered down to all
vets out there yet, so lots of kittens are still started out on dry.

And yeah, it's hard for a shelter, struggling just to keep its doors open
and feed the animals in its overflowing cages, to provide the best food.
Along those lines, Phil, do you know if Fancy Feast and the other grocery
store brands who've improved their formulas are planning to kick up their
prices too? If so, then we're in the same spot as before, but if not that
should force the premium brands to come down in price - whoohoo!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Laura K April 7th 05 10:44 PM

"Phil P." wrote in
ink.net:

Its often difficult to change textures because a cat's texture
preference is very strongly influenced by the type of food that the cat
was feed when she was a kitten. Unfortunately, most shelters don't have
the funds or help to feed canned food so most cats develop a strong -
and sometimes immovable preference for dry food.

When I adopted Simon from the Humane Society two years ago they sent him home
with a sample of IAMS, which was what he was being fed there, and coupons
for more.
Once I got him home, he refused to eat the IAMS but dug right into the Fancy
Feast and some Purina One Kitten chow I bought him.
Last year, I tried some of the pouch food when it was on sale and now he just
wants that, as long as it's the chunky kind. He won't eat the ground up kind
at all, although he used to. And it has to come from a pouch, with exceptions
made for Duck with Wild Rice and Chicken Cacciatore which only come canned
and are two of his favorites.
Fortunately my other cat, Peaches, was always in multi-cat situations and
learned early to eat whatever shows up in her bowl as soon as it shows up.

bjdbrad April 8th 05 01:08 AM

You are right Phil I better quit before you embarass me ........I can't
think of anything worse than being embarassed by a moron......is your
head larger than the average head.....??.....knowing everything must
take its toll after awhile......by the way....I can copy and paste with
the best of em

bjdbrad April 8th 05 09:01 AM

Phil.....why do you suppose it is that everyone can voice their
opinions without having their nose stuck up in the air like you
do...??....the only confrontations I see are between you and other
people.......why don't you tell us what makes you such an expert.....so
far you have told us not to trust our vets or our breeders but you
never said why we should accept your moronic babble about
everything.........its clear someone has you totally brainwashed
.........enough so in fact that nothing anyone says would be good enough
for you no matter their credentials unless their ideas revolve around
yours.......you are totally close minded and being led around by the
nose by someone........you probably work for one of the canned food
companies.........I might even read your posts all the way through if
you weren't always trying to drag someone down.......try making your
point and relying on your laurels........it must be hell going through
life with a **** personality like you have.........

Mary April 8th 05 09:14 AM

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil.....why do you suppose it is that everyone can voice their
opinions without having their nose stuck up in the air like you
do...??....

snipped in order to be merciful to Brad

Brad, please go and Google Phil before you make a bigger ass of yourself.
He consistently posts some of the most useful information here, and works
tirelessly for strays. He has told me things that my vet was doing wrong,
and
when I took them to the vet he agreed when he reviewed the info Phil gave
me. He knows his stuff. Dry food is not as good for your cat as canned.
If you want to feed him that for your own convenience, then do it. I feed
one
of mine primarily dry because she is allergic to a bunch of stuff and this
stuff
does not seem to bother her.

-L. April 8th 05 09:21 AM

bjdbrad wrote:
[...]

Phil's actually very knowlegable about cat health and behavior. While
you might not like his style (many don't), he has a lot to offer.
Peruse his website at http://www.maxshouse.com.

Learning to get your point across without alienating the listener is
more difficult for some than others. I just usually chalk it up to
mental ability, or instability, or just plain looniness. ;) And a
style that works for one reader may turn off another - you simply
cannot please everyone. That's Usenet.

As for the wet vs. dry debate, current thought is that the more water a
cat has in its diet, the less likely it is to develop FUS. Also, many
dry diets are comprised primarily of grains, which are a poor cat food,
at best. You might want to consult Cornell on the affects of a dry
food diet.

Not all vets are reputable - some will tell you what they want to to
make sure you keep coming back to them. breeders are self-serving as
well. It pays to be skeptical and educated.

-L.

Phil P. April 8th 05 09:36 AM

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
ups.com...
You are right Phil I better quit before you embarass me ........

I'm not trying to embarass you, I'm trying to educate you about feline
nutrition - for your cats' sake - because it looks like you really need it.

I can't
think of anything worse than being embarassed by a moron......

That would make you an imbecile, now wouldn't it - its still a step above
an idiot - so there just might be some hope for you.

is your
head larger than the average head.....??

In length or girth?

......knowing everything must
take its toll after awhile......

I certainly don't know everything -- it only seems that way to you by
comparison

by the way....I can copy and paste with
the best of em

....but you obviously haven't learned anything in the process.

Phil P. April 8th 05 11:54 AM

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil.....why do you suppose it is that everyone can voice their
opinions without having their nose stuck up in the air like you
do...??....

Probably because I just don't like lazy, selfish assholes like you who put
their convenience above their cats. How's that? Does that answer your
question?

the only confrontations I see are between you and other
people.......why don't you tell us what makes you such an expert.....

I just seem like an expert to you because you're misinformed and/or
uninformed about feline nutrition.

so
far you have told us not to trust our vets or our breeders

Don't have much experience with either, do you?

but you
never said why we should accept your moronic babble about
everything.........its clear someone has you totally brainwashed

Why not check the references at the bottom of my Feline Nutrition page
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm to see who has me 'totally
brainwashed' and from where I get my 'moronic babble'. LOL!

........enough so in fact that nothing anyone says would be good enough
for you no matter their credentials unless their ideas revolve around
yours.......you are totally close minded and being led around by the
nose by someone........

Yep! I listed most of them at the bottom of my Feline Nutrition page:
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

you probably work for one of the canned food
companies.........

Wow! Nothing gets past your lightening quick perception! Did you come to
that conclusion all by yourself or did your breeder help you? LOL!

I might even read your posts all the way through if
you weren't always trying to drag someone down.......try making your
point and relying on your laurels........it must be hell going through
life with a **** personality like you have.........

Actually my personality works quite well for me - it usually keeps lazy,
selfish asshole like you away! LOL!

Phil P. April 8th 05 11:56 AM

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil's actually very knowlegable about cat health and behavior. While
you might not like his style (many don't), he has a lot to offer.
Peruse his website at http://www.maxshouse.com.

Learning to get your point across without alienating the listener is
more difficult for some than others. I just usually chalk it up to
mental ability, or instability, or just plain looniness. ;)

Whoa Lynn! I just didn't like his attitude about canned food being too much
trouble for him. He gave the impression that he's a selfish, lazy asshole.

[email protected] April 8th 05 01:46 PM

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:36:49 GMT in t Phil P. wrote:

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
ups.com...
You are right Phil I better quit before you embarass me ........

I'm not trying to embarass you, I'm trying to educate you about feline
nutrition - for your cats' sake - because it looks like you really need it.

Arguing on USENET is like running in the special Olypics.
Even if you win, you're still retarded.

You are doing an excellent job of running away folks from that which you
endorse simply because you are a pedantic abrasive control freak.

Anyhow, there are better religions than cat food. I highly recommend
an editor religion such as emacs or vim.

And BTW, *PLONK*.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

Phil P. April 8th 05 01:58 PM

wrote in message
rg...
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:36:49 GMT in

t Phil P.
wrote:

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
ups.com...
You are right Phil I better quit before you embarass me ........

I'm not trying to embarass you, I'm trying to educate you about feline
nutrition - for your cats' sake - because it looks like you really need

it.

Arguing on USENET is like running in the special Olypics.
Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Well, that sure summed up your mentality.

Mary April 8th 05 03:27 PM

wrote in message
rg...
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:36:49 GMT in

t Phil P.
wrote:

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
ups.com...
You are right Phil I better quit before you embarass me ........

I'm not trying to embarass you, I'm trying to educate you about feline
nutrition - for your cats' sake - because it looks like you really need

it.

Arguing on USENET is like running in the special Olypics.
Even if you win, you're still retarded.

You are doing an excellent job of running away folks from that which you
endorse simply because you are a pedantic abrasive control freak.

Anyhow, there are better religions than cat food. I highly recommend
an editor religion such as emacs or vim.

And BTW, *PLONK*.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

Another asshole speaks. Plonk this, moron. lol

Mary April 8th 05 03:36 PM

"Phil P." wrote in message
nk.net...

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil.....why do you suppose it is that everyone can voice their
opinions without having their nose stuck up in the air like you
do...??....

Probably because I just don't like lazy, selfish assholes like you who put
their convenience above their cats. How's that? Does that answer your
question?

the only confrontations I see are between you and other
people.......why don't you tell us what makes you such an expert.....

Man, he must not be looking very far. lol!

Mary April 8th 05 03:37 PM

"Phil P." wrote in message
nk.net...

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil's actually very knowlegable about cat health and behavior. While
you might not like his style (many don't), he has a lot to offer.
Peruse his website at http://www.maxshouse.com.

Learning to get your point across without alienating the listener is
more difficult for some than others. I just usually chalk it up to
mental ability, or instability, or just plain looniness. ;)

Whoa Lynn! I just didn't like his attitude about canned food being too

much
trouble for him. He gave the impression that he's a selfish, lazy

asshole.

He stated that he does not give his cat canned food because he does not
want to deal with the mess. There you have it. Lyn won't call an asshole
an asshole because she's in the same club, see? :)

-L. April 8th 05 05:16 PM

Phil P. wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil's actually very knowlegable about cat health and behavior.

While
you might not like his style (many don't), he has a lot to offer.
Peruse his website at http://www.maxshouse.com.

Learning to get your point across without alienating the listener

is
more difficult for some than others. I just usually chalk it up to
mental ability, or instability, or just plain looniness. ;)

Whoa Lynn! I just didn't like his attitude about canned food being

too much
trouble for him. He gave the impression that he's a selfish, lazy

asshole.

Perhaps, but hitting him with the facts will certainly do more to
educate him than calling him a "lazy, selfish asshole." He may be a
lazy, selfish asshole but calling him one doesn't help his cats.

We've actually had this argument before....when you emailed me a few
years ago and told me I was turning off people by referring to SLK as
"****head", LOL...C'est la vie!

-L.
(getting out the Internet crucifix...beating Sherry to it...)