CatBanter

-   -   ARGH!!! Damn Cat! Just venting... (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=12180)

moi July 12th 03 06:02 AM

ARGH!!! Damn Cat! Just venting...

LOL - sorry I know I shouldn't laugh.

We have two Siamese and I regularly find poo on the floor. Like yourself
it's not because they aren't fastidiously clean. There are two causes, each
with the same results. One is eating tough grass the other is sleeping with
my daughter who has long hair...

The result is they ingest a "thread" and when they poo it makes a "chain"
but sometimes they can't eliminate the end of the thread. As a result they
dash around trying to rid themselves of this thing bobbing along behind
them! Luckily, as they eat mostly dried food, it is usually relatively dry
and can be picked up with loo roll.

The worst is when you come downstairs in the morning, bare feet and half
asleep...

Moi

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
I came home a little later than usual because I had to get gas and grab
something for dinner. The meowing at the door sounded a little more
frantic and I thought, "Yeah, she's hungry and ****ed."

I opened the door and was struck first by the smell. The sight came a
split second later--cat poop *everywhere*

Greeting me was Kami. You know, the darling fluffy half-Siamese who
has graced my life for 15 years. Stuck to her behind were two good
sized turds that she had tried to scrape away on the carpet what looks
like a few DOZEN times from the living room to the bedroom.

I first donned the elbow-length rubber gloves, grabbed the box of
Huggies Wipes and called, "Here kitty..." If you think brushing a mat
or clipping nails is difficult, try wiping a cat's butt. After much
squirming and hssing, fine. Lick it off. At least I got the big
pieces. Then I set about the task of identifying and treating spots of
poo.

Two hours later all appears to be back in order. As I eat my sandwich,
finally, Kami half-hearted requests a bite. She must know it's futile;
she walks away and sits in her carrier in the closet for the rest of
the evening.

And here I thought I was just going to do my nails.

--
Brandy Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx

MaryL July 12th 03 12:54 PM

[...]

I once had a long-haired cat that occasionally would do this because the
stool would get stuck in his long fur. I found that it was much easier (and
more effective) to use a metal comb, get it as close to the body as
possible, and then pull in through to remove as much as possible. Sometimes
the stool had dried enough so that that was all that was necessary. If it
was moist, then I would go on to the next step that you described, but the
comb did a better job of getting rid of most of the damage.

Also, if this happens again, please do not deprive Kami of her meal (or the
bite of your sandwich, if this is something you usually give her). This
isn't something that she did on purpose, and she couldn't have done anything
to prevent it.

MaryL

Joe Canuck July 12th 03 01:44 PM

Nice subject line... "Damn Cat! Just venting...".

If you truly cared for and understood your cat you would realize this
situation *isn't* your cat's fault.

So far with you we have the following:

(1) Kami is declawed because of the scratching issue.

(2) Kami is making too much noise and you posted a vent about that in
here as well. After (1) I'm surprised she isn't a biter as well.

(3) Kami has a potty accident and once again you post a vent about it in
here.

Seems to me neither Kami nor you are happy about your co-habitation
arrangements. You'd be happier without a cat and Kami would be happier
in a more loving understanding home.

You'd rather be doing your nails anyways.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Sherry July 12th 03 01:52 PM

Also, if this happens again, please do not deprive Kami of her meal (or the
bite of your sandwich, if this is something you usually give her). This
isn't something that she did on purpose, and she couldn't have done anything
to prevent it.

MaryL

How true. Kami's certainly not the first cat to put racing stripes on the
carpet. It just happens. Don't get mad at her or withhold treats. If it's
because she's less able to groom herself well than she used to be, and becomes
habitual, you may need to have a potty trail shaved on her bottom so that the
stool doesn't stick.

Sherry

[email protected] July 12th 03 07:21 PM

Brandy wrote:
snip story of blaming cat for something that she couldn't help

This made me very sad, especially the "damn cat" part and Kami's obvious
distress as a result of your reaction to what happened. Since March my
cat Sadie has been very ill with liver/biliary problems and IBD. I've
been force feeding her all this time and she has had mostly good days
peppered with bad ones, although we're running out of options and are
now starting a last resort medication. During the bad times she hasn't
been able to help it and has pooped/vomited on the bed or all over the
floor, which is not a fun thing to clean up. Sometimes it can get
frustrating and I feel like I'm going to cry, but you know what?

I NEVER NEVER NEVER blame her.

She can't help it and I love her so much I will just shut up and clean
up, then kiss her and hug her more because she deserves extra special
care, understanding and compassion and I'm not going to allow a little
grossness to get in the way of that.

Kami is older and probably has the beginnings of arthritis as a result
of her being declawed. This could very well be contributing to her
having some problems and instead of bitching about something she can't
help, you should be spending your time developing some compassion for
the furry little *senior citizen* that shares your home. If she is
getting poop stuck to her butt you can take her to a groomer and have
her rear shaved a little so that doesn't happen. It will ease her
obvious distress when this occurs (and then I won't have to read anymore
rants about your "damn cat." )

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke