CatBanter

-   -   Is it wrong to want another purebred? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25698)

Brian Link March 27th 05 04:18 AM

Is it wrong to want another purebred?

Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

We've adopted six strays over the last ten years. We bought our Bengal
primarily because we wanted a cat whose personality could be
determined before hand, so it would keep our playful, energetic Tiger
company. This was a specific case that's worked out fantastically..
http://www.discant.com/Cat/Henry%20001.jpg

But I really love this breed - and if we can get ahold of a kitten,
there's a better chance that Louis won't go nuts.

Just a thought. Breeders will continue to breed no matter what we do,
and poor strays will get euthanized no matter what we do. But is this
just rationalizing?

Eh.. I'm not totally driven to take in another cat, but I keep
wondering what Louis will do when Tiger finally dies.. it would be so
nice for him to have another friend around. Also I'd be happy to hear
others' thoughts about adopting from a shelter vs adopting a purebred.

BLink

Ashley March 27th 05 04:23 AM

"Brian Link" wrote in message
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

No. You'll be adopting a cat that's alive, whether it's purebred or moggie.
It will need a home, you'll give it one, simple, really.

We've adopted six strays over the last ten years. We bought our Bengal
primarily because we wanted a cat whose personality could be
determined before hand, so it would keep our playful, energetic Tiger
company. This was a specific case that's worked out fantastically..
http://www.discant.com/Cat/Henry%20001.jpg

But I really love this breed - and if we can get ahold of a kitten,
there's a better chance that Louis won't go nuts.

Just a thought. Breeders will continue to breed no matter what we do,
and poor strays will get euthanized no matter what we do. But is this
just rationalizing?

No. Do what you want - it's your life, not the life of those who rant
against purebreds. When I next get a cat it will be an oriental shorthair,
and I have not even the slightest feeling there is anything wrong in my
wanting that and acting upon that want.

Cathy Friedmann March 27th 05 04:25 AM

"Brian Link" wrote in message
[...]

Considering the number of strays you've adopted, I wouldn't (personally)
over-worry about also wanting a particular breed. But that's just my
opinion - a moderate/middle-of-the-road one.

Cathy

Monique Y. Mudama March 27th 05 04:39 AM

On 2005-03-27, Brian Link penned:
[...]

You're asking a tough question here. For me, cats are cats regardless of
breed, so I have to put the question to myself in terms of dogs, where
variations are more significant to me. There are most certainly breeds of
dogs that I like much better than others.

I believe in the principle of generalization (kind of like the golden rule):
this is one way that Kant proposed to evaluate whether or not something is
moral. You simply pose yourself the question, if everyone were to do what I
am considering, would I find the world to be a better or a worse place?

It's a toughie. If no one bought cats and dogs from breeders, then breeders
would go out of business, and there would just be moggies. But is this
ultimately my better world? I mean, right now, it's easy enough to find a
black lab mix at the shelter, but if no one were breeding them, would they
still be around? Then again, with all the hip problems to which retrievers
are prone, might it not be better to give up the breed entirely rather than
allow these diseases to continue?

My decision is to avoid buying an animal from a breeder. If I really wanted a
purebred (I personally don't, though, because in my experience mutts and
moggies tend to be healthier), I would go through a rescue organization.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

-L. March 27th 05 06:24 AM

Brian Link wrote:
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

Did you adopt your Bengal or buy him? There's a big difference, you
know. If you want a purebred, get one from a shelter or from a breed
rescue group.

We've adopted six strays over the last ten years. We bought our

Bengal
primarily because we wanted a cat whose personality could be
determined before hand, so it would keep our playful, energetic Tiger
company. This was a specific case that's worked out fantastically..
http://www.discant.com/Cat/Henry%20001.jpg

But I really love this breed - and if we can get ahold of a kitten,
there's a better chance that Louis won't go nuts.

Just a thought. Breeders will continue to breed no matter what we do,
and poor strays will get euthanized no matter what we do. But is this
just rationalizing?

Yes. if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Eh.. I'm not totally driven to take in another cat, but I keep
wondering what Louis will do when Tiger finally dies.. it would be so
nice for him to have another friend around. Also I'd be happy to hear
others' thoughts about adopting from a shelter vs adopting a

purebred.

I think what you are asking is about *buying* a purebred. Why support
the breeding of more cats when thousands die daily for lack of homes?

-L.

Karen March 27th 05 06:31 AM

I just don't think you have any guarantee about getting along just because
it's a purebred.

[email protected] March 27th 05 06:51 AM

Ashley wrote:
"Brian Link" wrote in message
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which

we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

No. You'll be adopting a cat that's alive, whether it's purebred or

moggie.
It will need a home, you'll give it one, simple, really.

Not exactly. He will be *buying* a purebred kitten who doesn't exactly
"need a a home"--Bengal breeders probably have waiting lists, and the
kitten will get a home irregardless. A shelter cat doesn't have that
guarantee.

MaryL March 27th 05 06:57 AM

"Brian Link" wrote in message
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

BLink

Please don't even consider this. First, don't buy from a breeder because
there are untold numbers of cats already available from shelters and rescue
groups -- and an unbelievably large number are destined to be euthanized.
If you do decide on a purebred, please look at a shelter (where there often
are both purebreds and "look-alikes" available) or contact one of the rescue
groups that rehome abandoned and abused purebreds. Second, I hope you won't
adopt *any* cat at this time. You have just gone through a difficult time
with Henry, and it would be simply asking for trouble to bring another cat
into your home at this early date.

MaryL

[email protected] March 27th 05 07:03 AM

Brian Link wrote:
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

For someone like you, IMO, yeah, it's at least ethically wrong. You're
obviously someone who loves cats, and will go the distance to do what's
right for the cat.
You can literally save a cat's life and provide a good, loving home for
life for a cat who has known starvation, or abuse, or is doomed to
spending months in a shelter cage waiting for a home. Or you can buy a
cat who's guaranteed a home anyway. I swear you won't adore the shelter
cat any less once he's wiggled into your heart.
Just MO, but I wouldn't go out and aggressively look for another cat.
I just believe that one will just show up from somewhere and you'll
have that slot open in your home for that particular cat.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ashley March 27th 05 07:42 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...

Not exactly. He will be *buying* a purebred kitten who doesn't exactly
"need a a home"--Bengal breeders probably have waiting lists, and the
kitten will get a home irregardless.

Kitten still needs a home. If Brian takes it, someone else who might have
taken it might take a shelter cat. But then again, we could go "if" forever.

Brian should do what Brian wants to do. I have no problem at all with people
deciding they would like a certain breed of cat, and getting it. That's
their right.