CatBanter

-   -   mites (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17526)

A.B. Normal 65 May 17th 04 05:23 PM

mites

hey, everyone,

we just got a new kitten. unfortunately, our house had a mite problem
before we got the kitten and we still need to eradicate them. we were
spraying our house for the mites with permithrin once a week and it
seemed to be working. i've never had a kitten in my care before. is
it safe to spray our house with the kitten there if we put him in a
separate room for a few hours? we think he's about 9 weeks old.

--a.b.

Tracy May 18th 04 01:23 AM

(A.B. Normal 65) wrote in message . com...
hey, everyone,

we just got a new kitten. unfortunately, our house had a mite problem
before we got the kitten and we still need to eradicate them. we were
spraying our house for the mites with permithrin once a week and it
seemed to be working. i've never had a kitten in my care before. is
it safe to spray our house with the kitten there if we put him in a
separate room for a few hours? we think he's about 9 weeks old.

--a.b.

No. Permethrin is nasty stuff and very toxic. You use it for clothes
when you travel to place with falciparunam malaria and it apparently
stays around for up to two weeks in fabric.

Talk to an extermninator about less toxic options.

A.B. Normal 65 May 19th 04 07:20 PM

(Tracy) wrote in message . com...
(A.B. Normal 65) wrote in message . com...
hey, everyone,

we just got a new kitten. unfortunately, our house had a mite problem
before we got the kitten and we still need to eradicate them. we were
spraying our house for the mites with permithrin once a week and it
seemed to be working. i've never had a kitten in my care before. is
it safe to spray our house with the kitten there if we put him in a
separate room for a few hours? we think he's about 9 weeks old.

--a.b.

No. Permethrin is nasty stuff and very toxic. You use it for clothes
when you travel to place with falciparunam malaria and it apparently
stays around for up to two weeks in fabric.

Talk to an extermninator about less toxic options.

thanks! i will.

anybody know of a good insecticide/remedy for getting rid of mites in
our home that won't harm our 9 week old kitten? any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

Lar May 19th 04 09:31 PM

On 19 May 2004 11:20:05 -0700, (A.B. Normal 65)
wrote:

:)
(A.B. Normal 65) wrote in message . com...
:)
(Tracy) wrote in message . com...
:)
(A.B. Normal 65) wrote in message . com...
:) hey, everyone,
:)

:)
:) No. Permethrin is nasty stuff and very toxic. You use it for clothes
:) when you travel to place with falciparunam malaria and it apparently
:) stays around for up to two weeks in fabric.
:)
:) Talk to an extermninator about less toxic options.
:)
:) thanks! i will.
:)
:) anybody know of a good insecticide/remedy for getting rid of mites in
:) our home that won't harm our 9 week old kitten? any suggestions would
:) be greatly appreciated.

need to have the mites identified to figure out where the source may
be and address them there. The permethrin is safe for the kitten as
long as you follow label directions.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Tracy May 20th 04 06:02 PM

Again, Permethrin is not safe to use with a nine week kitten in the
house. Please try to find an alternative and you're more likely to
find one by talking to an exterminator than on a cat newsgroup.